Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get my ID3 on Friday next week and just wondered if there really is any reason not to do the following:

Continually charge to 100%. Does the "buffer" not negate the negative effects this has on the battery?

Leave plugged in at all times.

Coming from an ICE, I like the idea of having all the range available all the time. I have searched the net and everyone seems to have a different opinion so I am not expecting this forum to be any different, but thought I'd ask.

Also, any other advice for treating the car differently to an ICE would be welcome. Preheating car/batteries etc.

TIA

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Tour
173 Posts
You're supposed to keep them plugged in as they do drain somewhat over time - my 12V went dead in my i3 after a while of leaving it without being plugged in. Also, the car is good at maintaining your battery, so let it do it.

Also, if you get a good home charging tariff with cheap overnight you can trickle it back to 100% for very little cost.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
Personally, the ID.3 is my 3rd EV and I'm going to be mainly charging to 100%. I've always charged to 100% on my Leaf (and in 6 years it's only lost one bar of battery health) and e-Golf and neither had any significant battery degradation. Obviously the leaf needed charing lots more, but with the e-Golf I would normally charger to 100% every couple of days. Generally when I got home and had less than 50%.

The only times I purposely didn't charger to 100% was when on long journeys that needed multiple stops. Where I'd generally aim for 20%-80% charges to minimise down time.

If I was mainly using rapids I'd probably only charge to 80%, but using a slower charger at home, there's no good reason (IMO) to not charge to 100%, even more so in the ID.3 with the 8kW of buffer.

Personally I don't understand the people who are strict 20-80%ers. Why cut your range by 40%? Battery degradation over the first 3-5 years of ownership is going to be very small and doubt it's going to be an issue when you come to sell it. Why not use it to it's full potential?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,603 Posts
I think all the ‘group think’ from early EV adopters has got to me over the years! 🙂

I’m now happy to admit that I charge the car only to 80%, as recommended on the ID.3 charge screen, but I do charge it to 100% just before setting off on a longer journey.

On the e-Golf I sweated the asset a lot more, but still left it at 60-70% plugged in when I knew I wasn’t going to use it for a few days.

Pre-heating does help with the efficiency/range achieved during a journey, heating up an element for cabin heating is best done whilst connected to the charger, whether it’s a heat pump car or not.

I’ll also still happily run an EV down to very low charge levels, as long as I know I’m going to be charging again when I get to where I’m going.

It is there to be used, and battery warranties are there for a reason, but it’s definitely easier to not be in the extremes when the battery is a good size to begin with.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
We're been over this qn time & again. Basically, it boils down to treat something gently if you want it to last as long as possible, in as good a condition as possible. Use it to the limits when you have to, or are instructed to (periodical charging tp 100% to let BMS do its thing), but push it to the limits the whole time, and you can expect it to degrade faster than it might have. Your choice as to whether you care or not, as you may be getting rid of it well before any problems start to surface.

·
Registered
ID3 MAX
186 Posts
I really cannot see what this fuss is about:
I had my e-golf for over 2 years and always charged to 100% every day when arriving home and left plugged in overnight. I did not see any visible loss battery capacity at all over the 2 year period. Most e-golf owners report the same thing. I really want to just get in the car and drive.

When I get my ID3 there is no way I will be only charging to 80% it will get charged to 100% every day same as my e-golf did. my GTE gets the same treatment except the battery gets even rougher treatment as it also gets run down to zero every day. And goes what - no change in. range since new still the same old 23 miles!

Restricting to 80% battery and pre-planning what journey/use I am going to do next day and how much charge I require is a life complexity I can do without. I just want to get in the car and drive. Having range anxiety is bad enough as an EV driver without also worrying about how much charge to put in the battery.

VW guarantee the battery to 70% of original capacity to 8years anyway with is only 10% less than the usable value value that you would be artificially restricting yourself to if you followed the best battery care guidelines. No way I will have the car for anything like 8 years anyway.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,674 Posts
I think all the ‘group think’ from early EV adopters has got to me over the years! 🙂

I’m now happy to admit that I charge the car only to 80%, as recommended on the ID.3 charge screen, but I do charge it to 100% just before setting off on a longer journey.

On the e-Golf I sweated the asset a lot more, but still left it at 60-70% plugged in when I knew I wasn’t going to use it for a few days.

Pre-heating does help with the efficiency/range achieved during a journey, heating up an element for cabin heating is best done whilst connected to the charger, whether it’s a heat pump car or not.

I’ll also still happily run an EV down to very low charge levels, as long as I know I’m going to be charging again when I get to where I’m going.

It is there to be used, and battery warranties are there for a reason, but it’s definitely easier to not be in the extremes when the battery is a good size to begin with.
The larger battery compared to my e-Golf means I don’t have to charge to 100% most of the time.

The fact that the charging settings screen actively encourages a minimum charge of 50% and a maximum 80% means that I will take the hint from the manufacturer and follow this guidance.

·
Graphite Grey would be my pick
57 Posts
I got my car last week. Do not have access to an off-street charger, apart from a closeby lamp post charger. I will use mainly rapid chargers and charge to around 85%. It seems to throttle after that. I will use the Lamppost now and again and charge it a bit higher.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts