Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. We just picked up our lovely MG ZS EV yesterday.

Of the car's power states, OFF, ACC, ON & READY, I am curious as to what "ACC" stands for, as I am assuming it's not Adaptive Cruise Control! I would be grateful if anyone could please enlighten me.

Apologies if this has been discussed here before but I could not see a way to search this ZS EV sub-forum (if there is a way, please do tell!).

Thanks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Accessory mode

Reactions: hoverdonkey

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
987 Posts
As above. It's accessory mode. Just like you get on a traditional ICE car when you turn the key without actually starting the engine but have full access to all the 12 volt accessories like radio, fans, power outlets, electric windows etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Accessory mode
As above. It's accessory mode. Just like you get on a traditional ICE car when you turn the key without actually starting the engine but have full access to all the 12 volt accessories like radio, fans, power outlets, electric windows etc.
Ah, thanks both. I've been driving for 32 years and never noticed it...

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
In this mode, it will allow you to have the radio switched on, but after about 5 to 10 minutes the radio will close down.
If you want the radio back on, you will have to hit the "Start" button again.
Do this without pressing the footbrake or the car will boot into the "Ready" drive state.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you do 'Start' the car by hitting Power w/foot brake and continue to sit - does the lithium ion battery discharge (a little bit) as well ass the 12V battery?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
If you do 'Start' the car by hitting Power w/foot brake and continue to sit - does the lithium ion battery discharge (a little bit) as well ass the 12V battery?
Yep, but only by a tiny amount. When you're in ready mode the traction battery will charge the 12 volt battery.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Remember, if you are sitting in the car waiting to pick somebody up and you are likely to be there more than a couple of minutes.
If it is cold or raining and you have the heater / radio / wipers running, or if you have the A/C in use etc.
Make sure the car is in the fully booted ( foot on the brake ) "Ready" state, other wise you COULD discharge the 12 Volt battery to a level that it will not allow the car to boot up when you want to continue with your journey.
As @Neilew correctly states, when the car is in the "Ready" state the 12 volt battery is being charged by the HV traction pack.
The transfer of power from the HV pack to maintain the SOC of the 12 volt battery is very small.
You could have almost everything running and it would be a good while before you WOULD loose one bar from the GOM.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Remember, if you are sitting in the car waiting to pick somebody up and you are likely to be there more than a couple of minutes.
If it is cold or raining and you have the heater / radio / wipers running, or if you have the A/C in use etc.
Make sure the car is in the fully booted ( foot on the brake ) "Ready" state, other wise you COULD discharge the 12 Volt battery to a level that it will not allow the car to boot up when you want to continue with your journey.
As @Neilew correctly states, when the car is in the "Ready" state the 12 volt battery is being charged by the HV traction pack.
The transfer of power from the HV pack to maintain the SOC of the 12 volt battery is very small.
You could have almost everything running and it would be a good while before you WOULD loose one bar from the GOM.
Many thanks for all the relevant and pertinent answers! As a 'newbie' myself, I appreciate having my 'learning curve' speeded up by all the help you're giving me!

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's been a long time since I've been on any courses, but it was always the case that when you asked questions due to a lack of understanding or clarity from the presenter other people in the room would always be grateful.

In such a spirit can I thank all those asking questions here and elsewhere, the answers aren't just useful to the questioner!

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
I remember from the Zoe that sitting with the climate control running for an hour would use about 4 miles of range. So, sitting with the just the 12 volt systems on for an hour would probably use a few hundred yards in the MG. Switch to winter with the heating on, you'd be back to a few miles.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
143 Posts
In this mode, it will allow you to have the radio switched on, but after about 5 to 10 minutes the radio will close down.
If you want the radio back on, you will have to hit the "Start" button again.
Do this without pressing the footbrake or the car will boot into the "Ready" drive state.
Can I respectfully suggest that you DON'T do this, but rather follow the advice in @Carty's later post and put the car into the Ready state.

The reason the car switches the radio off after 5-10 minutes in ACC mode is to preserve the charge in the 12V battery.

Deliberately defeat that precaution and the consequences are on your own head! (Hint: an acceptable level of charge is needed in the 12V battery in order to boot the car into Ready mode and drive away.)

Yes, you're likely to get away with it. At least, every time until you don't. 😉

·
Zoe Devotee
9,118 Posts
Never ever use ACC mode for anything more than a couple of minutes. I used ACC for just the hazards and in 40mins the 12v was too low to start the car. Press the start button twice so the green "ON" light is illuminated and you won't go wrong.

Best of all, regardless of your SOC when on a charger you can sit with the heater on. No more freezing your buns off waiting for the SOC to get high enough to turn on the heater.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I remember from the Zoe that sitting with the climate control running for an hour would use about 4 miles of range. So, sitting with the just the 12 volt systems on for an hour would probably use a few hundred yards in the MG. Switch to winter with the heating on, you'd be back to a few miles.
I doubt that the 12v would power the heating for an hour.

Mine didn’t. I managed to flatten the 12v battery in about 20 minutes!!!

One of my earliest videos....

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
We were talking about the power drain of the DC/DC converter at the time and I was comparing that to how long the drain of the 12v electrics would be to the drain of the heating on the battery pack. I was trying to give an idea of how small the drain would be on the 12v battery.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,118 Posts

Zoe can't power the heater at all unless the HV is on. It will turn the fans but not heat or cool. Zoe can't power the heater when on a charger unless the SOC is above 40% and will only boost in 5min intervals. The ZS can use the heater straight away on a rapid (in the ON state, which you can get with 2 presses of power button) and it'll stay on until you turn it off. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I went through several videos recently trying to ascertain whether or not the defrost function could work off the charger to save the battery - yours came up trumps. Shame the answer is "no", but much better than finding out by running the car flat on an icy day, thank you for your sacrifice!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,118 Posts
I went through several videos recently trying to ascertain whether or not the defrost function could work off the charger to save the battery - yours came up trumps. Shame the answer is "no", but much better than finding out by running the car flat on an icy day, thank you for your sacrifice!

I've a feeling the MG will defrost so quick it won't be an issue. The heat that blasts out of the car immediately when you crank up the temp is amazing. Frozen windscreens will be cleared in a minute or two and the car will be roasting.

Reactions: hoverdonkey

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've a feeling the MG will defrost so quick it won't be an issue. The heat that blasts out of the car immediately when you crank up the temp is amazing. Frozen windscreens will be cleared in a minute or two and the car will be roasting.
Good to know, thank you. I'm looking forward to Winter and trying it out... 😁

1 - 19 of 19 Posts