Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
few questions as I need to get a charger installed

1) Can I go through the steps to get installation booked in while waiting for my car to save time, or will that mess up the OLEV grant thing?

2) is the zappi the only one that does the blending with solar? Can it add in some grid power to top up the solar if your solar isn’t generating enough to charge on its own? so eg 1kw from solar, 2kw from the grid?

3) is there a way to find out what your fuse is? We had our meter replaced by Scottish power a few years back, and some of the junction box things list 100A compatible,but the big black main fuse bit doesn’t have anything labelled that I can see. Will they have automatically updated it to 80A when replacing the meter? Here is my meter

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
2,045 Posts
It depends on the installer. I used a local company who were happy to book things in before the car arrived. In theory it shouldn’t be a problem, there’s a price overall and the grant pays some of it. If the charger is to be installed before you have any evidence of the car, that becomes problematic.

Others can do solar but I’ve no idea how well they do it.The installer I used puts in zappi or project EV. The project ev can, apparently, take advantage of solar but the documentation is vague and I wouldn’t have confidence in it beyond a simple charge point. Myenergi seem to be the only company that have gone for this from the start, they also are actively developing the product, it now integrates with Octopus Agile, for example.

It’s unlikely the fuse will have been replaced. Contact them and ask. I believe the DNOs are still providing upgrades for free to those who ask. This also ensures they know your usage plans, for any capacity planning they do, and there’s nothing limiting your supply that you don’t know about.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
It depends on the installer. I used a local company who were happy to book things in before the car arrived. In theory it shouldn’t be a problem, there’s a price overall and the grant pays some of it. If the charger is to be installed before you have any evidence of the car, that becomes problematic.

Others can do solar but I’ve no idea how well they do it.The installer I used puts in zappi or project EV. The project ev can, apparently, take advantage of solar but the documentation is vague and I wouldn’t have confidence in it beyond a simple charge point. Myenergi seem to be the only company that have gone for this from the start, they also are actively developing the product, it now integrates with Octopus Agile, for example.

It’s unlikely the fuse will have been replaced. Contact them and ask. I believe the DNOs are still providing upgrades for free to those who ask. This also ensures they know your usage plans, for any capacity planning they do, and there’s nothing limiting your supply that you don’t know about.
Just any ordinary charger will "blend" solar generated onsite with grid.
If on an instantaneous basis your own solar is generating 2.1 kW and your car's onboard charger is pulling 6.9 kW and your house is consuming 0.5 kW, then your car will be charging on 1.6 kW from solar and the rest from the grid. If you reduce the charging rate to 2.5 kW, the proportion from your own solar will increase but it will take much longer, will only be possible during sunshine hours and will depend on the how much the rest of the house is consuming. Practically speaking, use your granny in the summer and spend the money saved from not buying a Zappi on beer

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
2,045 Posts
Just any ordinary charger will "blend" solar generated onsite with grid.
If on an instantaneous basis your own solar is generating 2.1 kW and your car's onboard charger is pulling 6.9 kW and your house is consuming 0.5 kW, then your car will be charging on 1.6 kW from solar and the rest from the grid. If you reduce the charging rate to 2.5 kW, the proportion from your own solar will increase but it will take much longer, will only be possible during sunshine hours and will depend on the how much the rest of the house is consuming. Practically speaking, use your granny in the summer and spend the money saved from not buying a Zappi on beer
In my case that was a good £500 for the zappi itself and then more for the other system components that would have been needed to make it work. Buys quite a bit of beer.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
In my case that was a good £500 for the zappi itself and then more for the other system components that would have been needed to make it work. Buys quite a bit of beer.
If the OP is considering the ZAPPI in order to save money, invest the same amount in home brewing kit and save even more🤗🤗🤗🤗

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
few questions as I need to get a charger installed

1) Can I go through the steps to get installation booked in while waiting for my car to save time, or will that mess up the OLEV grant thing?

2) is the zappi the only one that does the blending with solar? Can it add in some grid power to top up the solar if your solar isn’t generating enough to charge on its own? so eg 1kw from solar, 2kw from the grid?

3) is there a way to find out what your fuse is? We had our meter replaced by Scottish power a few years back, and some of the junction box things list 100A compatible,but the big black main fuse bit doesn’t have anything labelled that I can see. Will they have automatically updated it to 80A when replacing the meter? Here is my meter

View attachment 142290
There may be other ways to do it, but the Zappi does it easily.

You can set it to manual, which is the same as a dumb charger.

You can set it to ECO+ which will only charge your car when there is surplus solar electricity to do so.

Or you can set it to ECO where you can balance charging between solar and grid.

Finally it includes timers so you can effectively set different modes at different times.

Mine is setup so that during the day it is on ECO+ and only charges the car when there is surplus solar, with a manual boost weekday nights to top up the car if required.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
My charger was installed using OLEV when my car was still at the factory in Germany. My installer didn't care, as long as it was within the limit set by the OLEV grant.
Project EV makes big claims about using solar with it, but they also make big claims about their janky app. Perfectly fine plug-and-charge socket, but trying to do anything clever with it just seems to cause problems.

You mention Scottish Power, so I'm assuming you're north of the border - make sure that you also apply for the EST cashback and get an extra £300/£400 discount on your charger (in addition to what you get from OLEV).

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
One caveat - there are compatibility issues between Zappi and ID3 at the moment that prevents at least some of the smart charging capabilities. Same is likely to be true of the other MEB based cars.

Probably worth a browse of the Myenergi forums to see if anybody is having compatibility issues with your model of EV.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,266 Posts
To answer your first question:-

Last May, before my car arrived, I had to fill out OLEV application form v2.4 for the chargepoint.
Section 8 states:-

For vehicle on order, please provide the estimated delivery date and one of the following identification numbers (please state which):
  • Order Number
  • Reference number
  • Arrangement number
  • Agreement number
  • Enquiry/quotation number
If your order confirmation does not include any of the above, please contact your vehicle provider to obtain one, otherwise this application will be ineligible.[

(The estimated delivery date should be no more that four months from the date of installation and should be the same date that appears on the vehicle order form. If, for any reason, these dates do not match, please provide an explanation as to why in the space below)
/quote]
So, as long as you have one of those from the dealership, you can get going with a chargepoint installation.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To answer your first question:-

Last May, before my car arrived, I had to fill out OLEV application form v2.4 for the chargepoint.
Section 8 states:-

So, as long as you have one of those from the dealership, you can get going with a chargepoint installation.
thanks I have an order number so that’s good

1 - 10 of 10 Posts