·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
98 Posts
Got a response......sounds very political lol

Yes Norfolk Fire & Rescue Service did receive a grant to install electric vehicle charging points across the majority of their property portfolio.

It has yet to be decided if the works are to proceed or whether they are to be for their own vehicles or for general public use, or both. At this point some other Norfolk County Council properties are being considered & not just the Fire Stations.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Chris! Interesting!

The Rapid Charge Network looks like it will put rapid chargers through the middle of East Anglia. This will make much of Norfolk reachable at least. Then it will be back to the dealers as far as rapids go.

Have done the almost 90 miles from Norwich to Peterborough in January, in heavy rain, against a head wind, in order to get to Peterborough before 3 on a Sunday so I can charge to get to Leicester before the Peterborough dealer closes.

I know it can be done.

Was just hoping the Fire Service press coverage last year was going tobmake it easier.

Looks like future trips to norfolk will be on the rapid charge network at least!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Not a rapid charger, but you can use the free SourceEast chargers at the Cambridge park and ride sites. They are rarely full or ice'd, and leaves you only 60 miles from Norwich. Plus you can grab a few hours enjoying the local area whilst it charges up. :D

Certainly a viable option if you aren't in a hurry and want to hit Norwich.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi. Planning to head to Norwich tomorrow, that's useful info! Does anyone know if there are any free rapids in Norwich for the return leg? And which Cam P&R site did you use - or is it all of them?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Sue

There is a rapid at the Nissan dealership. No card needed but not sure what they close on sunday...mine closes at 4. It is in North Norwich near the airport. There are some retail outlets a short walk away. It seemed to time out for me and need restarting, I think after an hour. (got there empty and needed 100%).

If you can use the type 2 ones in town while there might be easier esp if you have 6 kw charger.

Hi. Planning to head to Norwich tomorrow, that's useful info! Does anyone know if there are any free rapids in Norwich for the return leg? And which Cam P&R site did you use - or is it all of them?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Ok - I just have a regular 3pin charger. Probably rules me out then!
Yes, all the Cambridge P&R sites, plus the longstanton on and St Ives (guided busway) car parks offer 7kw charging points using your own type 2 cable.
They all tend not to be ice'd and reliable (so far).

I think that the Toyota and Nissan dealers also have chargers on site, not sure if they are 7kw or rapids, as I can't use more than 3.3kw anyway (Ampera).

·
Registered
235 Posts
I know this is a VERY old thread, but I have been catching up on this one. I have PM a friend who works on Norfolk Fire and Rescue, and asked him for more information. This is an old news artical Charge points for electric cars at Norfolk fire stations also contacted the DoTransport asking tham as well. Better late than never, as we are having a new Distribution road around Norwich so would be an ideal time to install some. ????? Wont be holding my breath. !!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Amusing to look back at the naive optimism of 2014.

I seem to recall that the norfolk county council scheme fell through. Coverage in Norfolk and Suffolk is pittiful. Source East have been in "transition" for well over a year and still haven't issued the card I requested this time last year! I'm used to living in a cultural and economic back water, but this feels deliberate. I'm certainly relieved that I went for a PHEV rather than a BEV.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Oli, As I live in Norwich the "heart of the desert" of Norfolk, I am determined to try and get things moving on the placement of points. Not just for my own benefit but now Norwich is getting the new "bypass" and the Norfolk Broads being called a "National Park" I would have thought that the councils and local businesses would be pushing to encourage EV drivers to come to the area. Not just come here but also would be great if they could get enough charge to get home too.!!!!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Oli, As I live in Norwich the "heart of the desert" of Norfolk, I am determined to try and get things moving on the placement of points. Not just for my own benefit but now Norwich is getting the new "bypass" and the Norfolk Broads being called a "National Park" I would have thought that the councils and local businesses would be pushing to encourage EV drivers to come to the area. Not just come here but also would be great if they could get enough charge to get home too.!!!!
I visit a friend in Mattishall. Last time we had lunch at Feltham, the National Trust location with charging. Worked well. There seems to be a McDonald's in Norwich with charging too?

·
Registered
235 Posts
There is one at HALL ROAD roundabout. (NR1 2RT). Seen it twice and both time it has been ICED by two employees cars.
I haven't needed to use it but if I did then I,m sure they would have moved them for me.:censored:

·
Registered
752 Posts
I didn't know about the Hall Road roundabout ones, but there are a few at the new Hall Road Asda. The Forum has four and there are some in Chappelfield Mall car park - although you need a Source East card for those seemingly.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts