Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've just put down a deposit on a used 2014 Zoe - very exciting - and am looking currently looking at home charging options and could do with some help! As the car has had one owner I'm not eligible for the free Chargemaster point from Renault. I've been in touch with a local solar PV provider who can supply either Rolec or EO units and am waiting for a reply, they were a bit vague, though. There are also another couple of local OLEV registered installers I could try. Alternatively I could go with the nationals and am leaning towards PodPoint - I like the look of the unit :) and also the fact that they have some public charging points locally at National Trust properties and RSPB reserve which could be useful (although I think they are free to use anyway?)

I'd welcome any views on the above and also some of the options available - tethered or not? (I will get a cable with the car) 3.7 or 7kw? (I have solar panels producing up to 3.8Kw so will want to charge daytime to take advantage of them - if I go for 7Kw I guess it'll be quicker but I might not be taking as much advantage of the solar input ) lockable or not?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

·
Registered
409 Posts
Welcome to the world of Zoe ownership.

I would recommend you go for a 7kW tethered home charge point. Getting a non-tethered point means you will be cursing getting the cable out all the time, it's so much more convenient to have a tethered point. I have a lockable unit but never lock it - if you're in a highly public location you may value the lock, but I personally don't. If you go for 7kW you will be able to charge more quickly, which is especially important if you live in Norfolk where there are virtually no other charging options! Having said that, if you intend to charge off solar rather than at night time then I understand the argument for a 3.6 kW charger. Just remember that the solar won't give you much power for a significant proportion of the time. I'd still go for the 7kW.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcomes and info. I've been browsing round the Forums (Fora?) and currently looking at a Rolec EVWP 2140 with the amp selector rotary "solar switch". Just put in an enquiry to Rolec for a local installer, so will see how it goes. The Zappi unit does look interesting but sadly not in production yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts