Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks,

am contemplating this road trip for late July. very nervous about it. i have a Mach E AWD Extended Range and in current temps will get 270-280 miles easily on full charge or maybe more. i haven't gone on a long drive so don't really know :).

anyone done this roadtrip in an EV recently? i have seen some threads but they are like a year old.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
hi folks,

am contemplating this road trip for late July. very nervous about it. i have a Mach E AWD Extended Range and in current temps will get 270-280 miles easily on full charge or maybe more. i haven't gone on a long drive so don't really know :).

anyone done this roadtrip in an EV recently? i have seen some threads but they are like a year old.
There was a thread about the same within last couple of weeks ( last couple of days even).

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
Having to queue for a charge might be the biggest issue hence the advice to never drive past a charger (if it's vacant) - i.e. a little and often.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Peak tourist season! It will be very busy. If you work out where you will be staying overnight try and charge there, don't try doing hundreds of miles a day and not getting any time to enjoy yourself. Sitting behind a dozen campervans and trying to avoid folk overtaking coming down the road towards you at silly speeds gets tiring.

Make sure you get a Charge Place Scotland RFID card though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Whatever accommodation you are planning en route - book it well in advance! In peak season, all of the main campsites will be fully booked weeks in advance, and the same will probably be true of B&Bs and hotels.

And don't underestimate the ability of inexperienced drivers on single-track roads to cause havoc. A couple of years back I got caught up when two car clubs (around 8 cars per club) met going in opposite directions, but neither would wait and travel in twos (two cars will typically fit in each passing bay) - 8 cars meeting 8 cars at a passing bay that was big enough for two. It gridlocked and took more than half an hour to get anything moving again!

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Peak tourist season! It will be very busy. If you work out where you will be staying overnight try and charge there, don't try doing hundreds of miles a day and not getting any time to enjoy yourself. Sitting behind a dozen campervans and trying to avoid folk overtaking coming down the road towards you at silly speeds gets tiring.

Make sure you get a Charge Place Scotland RFID card though.
Some of the best bits scenery wise are single track. You WILL be behind a bunch of camper vans, sooner or later.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
Some of the best bits scenery wise are single track. You WILL be behind a bunch of camper vans, sooner or later.
At least your range will be good, travelling behind a camper or classic car convoy!

No way would I go anywhere near the NC500 in the holiday season, even on two wheels.

I might be tempted to hire a camper next winter though, provided there is no snow in the forecast.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
At least your range will be good, travelling behind a camper or classic car convoy!

No way would I go anywhere near the NC500 in the holiday season, even on two wheels.

I might be tempted to hire a camper next winter though, provided there is no snow in the forecast.
Best way to do the NC590 would be by E bike, camper sag wagon driven by someone else, in the winter as you say to give it a bit of a challenge and avoid the crowds.

On my to do list, an adapter to so I can charge up a 20ah 48V battery pack from a CPS rapid ( ha ha) and working out what bribery will be needed to convince the sag wagon driver!!!

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
Best way to do the NC590 would be by E bike, camper sag wagon driven by someone else, in the winter as you say to give it a bit of a challenge and avoid the crowds.

On my to do list, an adapter to so I can charge up a 20ah 48V battery pack from a CPS rapid ( ha ha) and working out what bribery will be needed to convince the sag wagon driver!!!
A rapid would charge it up in a flash (literally). ;)

Be easier to do on an AC post.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,493 Posts
Folk were doing the NC500 in 2015 with 60miles of range. With 250miles of usable range you're on for a 1 stop.... or more likely charge when you stop for your overnighters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts