Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Thought this was interesting. Taxi company wanted to use MG5's. Ended up giving them back.

Conventionally have a 'day driver' and 'night driver' with one hour in between to get the car charged up from 4pm to 5pm

Couldn't reliably find an available 50kW charging point at that time so couldn't be made to work, as may need 300+ miles of range over both drivers.

Options I suppose are:

• Install own 50kw DC charging. Article says this was quoted as £24k (seems cheap to me for a 50kW DC charger!)
  • Get a car that can do 22kW AC charging and get a charging point installed for about £1k, assuming they've got access to three phase where they're at. Obviously doesn't work on MG5 as 22kW AC only available on bleeding edge supercars like 2013 Zoe's.
  • Ask the council to please install a taxi charging hub, other people's money etc.
  • Get a spare MG5 and always have one sitting on a 7kW charger(!) so it's more of a fleet than having one's own car
  • Get something with a higher range and 11kW charging and squeak through on that?

From the article, they average about 250 miles per day. Over the year these are obviously really high mileage/utilisation. 250 miles x 365 days = 91k miles at top end.

If we're prioritising what we want electrified, we want to get these high mileage vehicles onto it first. Bit of a shame that it almost works, but not quite.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It’s a tricky one. Rhyl has 4 rapids in a close radius, but 3 are on the motorway outside of town leaving the Morrison’s rapids only in the centre. So you’d have to ask the drivers to spend more time away from the fare hubs, which leaves the jobs to the non EV cab companies.

I would do as others suggest and get a loan to install a private rapid at the cab base. The savings would pay off quickly compared to petrol, even at £25k.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,851 Posts
I would do as others suggest and get a loan to install a private rapid at the cab base. The savings would pay off quickly compared to petrol, even at £25k.
This would be better than spending the 25k on two longer range EVs since they could buy more MGs to maximise the benefits of their own Rapid.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
24K is about right for the charger itself, install cost would depend a lot on whether you have a suitable 3-phase supply for it

Or half that for a Chinese unit

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,851 Posts
24K is about right for the charger itself, install cost would depend a lot on whether you have a suitable 3-phase supply for it

They may be able to get one of the charge point operators to install it if they can make it available for public use. I'm sure they can control useage so their taxis have access at specified times.

·
Registered
Leaf 40 69
33 Posts

There is an interesting 30kw CSS? charger as well on that first link for "only" 8k

I assume css2 is the same as CSS?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Given taxis are mostly written off by mileage not age, I would buy double the number of cars and keep them for double the length of time. Then charge them on 7kw or 22kw. If planned correctly all 4 cars could be used at peak times like late Fridays.

(Use an ICE if needed to cover the time on the 22kw charger with the 2nd EV replacing the ICE at peak times. )

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,109 Posts
It’s a tricky one. Rhyl has 4 rapids in a close radius, but 3 are on the motorway outside of town leaving the Morrison’s rapids only in the centre. So you’d have to ask the drivers to spend more time away from the fare hubs, which leaves the jobs to the non EV cab companies.

<pedant> The A55 is not a motorway, it's a dual carriageway. That's why I often have to dodge around tractors when commuting on it </pedant>

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
842 Posts
<pedant> The A55 is not a motorway, it's a dual carriageway. That's why I often have to dodge around tractors when commuting on it </pedant>
Bits of it sort of are, I think.

It was created as a Special Purpose Road - using the same legislation as motorways. That means instead of being a public highway (meaning anyone can use it) it's restricted. It's also one of the few (only) places where you will see a 70mph speed limit posted, instead of deristricted, because they forgot to create one in the legislation.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
842 Posts
They are idiots. Had they done the research they'd have seen that it wasn't going to work with MG5s.
I mean, that's one way of looking at it I suppose. But is it a helpful one?

-

I assume the taxis are idle at times during the day. 22 or 11kW charging during idle periods would help.

There's also the understandable misconception that "Well, if 50 minutes will charge it to 80%, then as long as drivers bring it back with 20% in the tank, I can fill it up again". Wrong, but understandable.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,838 Posts
.....Install own 50kw DC charging. Article says this was quoted as £24k (seems cheap to me!) .......
Seriously, if EVangelists think a £24k rapid charger is a snip bargain compared with, say, a 1000 litre bund of diesel .. sheesh ....

Good bye reality, here's to the brave new world of BEVs.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,851 Posts
I mean, that's one way of looking at it I suppose. But is it a helpful one?

-

I assume the taxis are idle at times during the day. 22 or 11kW charging during idle periods would help.

There's also the understandable misconception that "Well, if 50 minutes will charge it to 80%, then as long as drivers bring it back with 20% in the tank, I can fill it up again". Wrong, but understandable.
Not helpful, I agree, but true nonetheless and Donald has point: £24k does buy a lot of diesel....

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,861 Posts
I think they did a couple of things wrong. The car is not one of them. MG5 should be capable of 120miles easy in a city.

But as someone said:
- investment in own charging. 50kW as a minimum was a must for success.
- proper plan of utilisation. The best option would have been to use the cars in flexible rotation, i.e. 80-10% GOM profile. Charge to 80%, drive down to 10% back at charger. 50min charge. And back out again.

For anyone interested, you should watch this:

I think the second half is about the taxi's...

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,089 Posts
places where you will see a 70mph speed limit posted, instead of deristricted, because they forgot to create one in the legislation.
Is that why that's signs there? I always wondered. I've been past it loads of times and always thought it strange. I thought it was some sort of experiment.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.