Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just learned from a site that displays the location of roadworks, that SP Energy Networks are doing groundworks in preparation for a charge point of currently unknown capabilities at Flint Castle.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,977 Posts
That might be the Tesla one that's been on the tesla map for ages unless there's a Tesco or Morrison's near where there is the digging.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That might be the Tesla one that's been on the tesla map for ages unless there's a Tesco or Morrison's near where there is the digging.
No. As @DenkiJidousha says, the Tesla units are further inland, at a hotel/golf course (NOT owned by the "former guy")
The only things at this site are the castle, lifeboat station and football ground.
Note that the large building to the SW is the substation that SPEN are linking the chargepoint to.
None of our supermarkets are big enough for rapids, but I've prodded Instavolt to say that there's a McD's drive-through there just waiting for a couple of units.

(All links are W3W)

·
Registered
24 kWh Nissan Leaf; Tesla Model 3
170 Posts
Sounds like a (non-Tesla) rapid at Flint might be happening, which would be very welcome (although not my first choice of location for North Wales).

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a (non-Tesla) rapid at Flint might be happening, which would be very welcome (although not my first choice of location for North Wales).
Knowing my luck, this won't be a rapid. It'll be a single 3kW "destination" charger so the council can indulge in box ticking.
There is the odd rapid along the A55 corridor - Ewloe, Singing Kettle, and I've seen plans to put a pair on the site of the current filling station at Dobshill.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Knowing my luck, this won't be a rapid. It'll be a single 3kW "destination" charger so the council can indulge in box ticking.
There is the odd rapid along the A55 corridor - Ewloe, Singing Kettle, and I've seen plans to put a pair on the site of the current filling station at Dobshill.
Might be a couple of 7kW points. Hopefully it's a rapid though, looks like a nice place to stop and spend an hour.

·
Super Moderator
12,225 Posts
e doing groundworks in preparation for a charge point of currently unknown capabilities at Flint Castle.
Oddly I can't find anything in planning. That limits what may be going in to posts under the hight limit.

·
Super Moderator
12,225 Posts
The Welsh Goverment allocated money a few years ago, part of which was supposed to go for chargepoints at CADW sites.

Maybe it will be a bank of 22kW posts, which is a decent fit for a destination.

·
Super Moderator
12,225 Posts
In related news, a planning application has appeared for a "Gridserve-style" drive-thru coffee shop next to the McD's in Chirk, apparently with multiple charging bays.
Also, 2 charging bays in the McD's itself (Probably Instavolt as they've been doing a lot of McD's lately)

That would be usefull to us. We go down that way occasionally and usually top up at Oswestry.

Chirk is 60 odd miles on the back roads or 80 miles if we use the A55. A rapid at Chirk means I could get home using the A55 which is usually faster.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oddly I can't find anything in planning. That limits what may be going in to posts under the hight limit.
IIRC, installing chargers is "permitted development" as long as they're under 2.4m tall. It's when they need a substation to power them that planning gets involved.
In this case, there's one literally across the road from the car park.
I may have a trundle down there one day this week, to see what (if anything) is going on.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trundle completed.

No sign of chargers or associated infrastructure yet. Just backfilling of trenches still to be done.
DNO has been installing a galvanised cabinet (a little larger than BT sized) at this location, presumably for power connections to the eventual charger(s).

The roadworks-tracking site one.network has this to say -

CAR PARK CASTLE STREET NEW EVCP
Description:Excavate 20m track in grass & 3m in footpath, excavate 6m road crossing and mains service joint bay in footpath for a new supply for charging point

·
Registered
989 Posts
Trundle completed.

No sign of chargers or associated infrastructure yet. Just backfilling of trenches still to be done.
DNO has been installing a galvanised cabinet (a little larger than BT sized) at this location, presumably for power connections to the eventual charger(s).

The roadworks-tracking site one.network has this to say -

CAR PARK CASTLE STREET NEW EVCP
Description:Excavate 20m track in grass & 3m in footpath, excavate 6m road crossing and mains service joint bay in footpath for a new supply for charging point
Hopefully it'll all be in when I come down for my holidays in early September.
Heading down to Deganwy and there doesn't seem to be much provision that far west so some new chargers might be useful if we pop back for a day out in Chester.

·
Registered
24 kWh Nissan Leaf; Tesla Model 3
170 Posts
North Wales gets another rapid charger 🎉

Still could do with more than one in the whole of Snowdonia, but this is welcome news (looking forward to driving electric next time we visit Wales).

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just found news of chargers going into another council car park in Flint on one.network dated 31 Mar-Apr 8

Highway Authority: Flintshire County Council
Location:richard heights car park approx 20m from substation
Description:excavate 12m track & joint bay in grass verge for a new supply to car park charging point

1 - 20 of 202 Posts