Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
261 - 280 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22)
282 Posts
A pair of Instavolt rapids have been spotted next to a new McDonald's being built on the outskirts of Rhyl.

That's good. Initially when I read Rhyl I wasn't very interested, but according to Google maps it's only a 6 minute drive from the two Ospreys at the Talardy pub by the A55, so provides a good backup option to those if you need it on a longer journey.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
That's good. Initially when I read Rhyl I wasn't very interested, but according to Google maps it's only a 6 minute drive from the two Ospreys at the Talardy pub by the A55, so provides a good backup option to those if you need it on a longer journey.
Yep. It's next to a retail park with a B&Q, Curry's, Halfords, Iceland, Pets at Home, Pizza Hut & Sainsbury's, if you want to (window) shop while charging

·
Registered
Mustang Mach-e SR RWD
32 Posts
My recent experience of the chargers in North Wales wasn't all that great. Week long holiday with the EV, visited 3 chargers in/around Bangor, 1 (Osprey at retail park) was in use, 1 was completely broken (Geniepoint, Morrisons) and the last would only do slow charge (A55 Services). Easiest by far was the Lidl at Llandudno Junction, which was also the cheapest at 26p/kW on both Type 2 and CCS. Got free charge for 2 hours at Tesco at Llandudno Junction while I did parkrun. My best experience was the two national trust properties, Bodnant Gardens and Penrhyn Castle, parked up and charge for a few hours on Type 2 and topped up to 100% for free. Asda in Bangor seems to only charge at 3kW despite being plugged into what it called the 'fast' Type 2 socket.

Special mention for Aber Falls Distillery, free Type 2 charger and have excellent coffee and gin infused scones and cream.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
My recent experience of the chargers in North Wales wasn't all that great. Week long holiday with the EV, visited 3 chargers in/around Bangor, 1 (Osprey at retail park) was in use, 1 was completely broken (Geniepoint, Morrisons) and the last would only do slow charge (A55 Services). Easiest by far was the Lidl at Llandudno Junction, which was also the cheapest at 26p/kW on both Type 2 and CCS. Got free charge for 2 hours at Tesco at Llandudno Junction while I did parkrun. My best experience was the two national trust properties, Bodnant Gardens and Penrhyn Castle, parked up and charge for a few hours on Type 2 and topped up to 100% for free. Asda in Bangor seems to only charge at 3kW despite being plugged into what it called the 'fast' Type 2 socket.

Special mention for Aber Falls Distillery, free Type 2 charger and have excellent coffee and gin infused scones and cream.
Bangor Asda is confirmed by Zap Map as being only 3kW (when it actually works!). Also, it's the only charger at any branch of Asda in N Wales.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Mokka-e SRI Premium 2022.25
99 Posts
We drove past the Rhug estate this past weekend on a trip to Barmouth. Set off from Manchester with about 97% SOC, stopped at the last rapid on the way in Bala with around 59%. The charger was empty so filled back up to around 97% again then carried on to Barmouth. This charge lasted the whole journey home as well as pottering around Barmouth and Harlech. N.Wales still needs more rapids though.

·
Registered
709 Posts
It's worth noting in this thread that the Flint Mountain Superchargers are now open to non-Teslas. I think it's the biggest (only) hub in North Wales!

·
Super Moderator
Using public transportation
12,623 Posts
My recent experience of the chargers in North Wales wasn't all that great.
It isn't. Things should be better soonish.

If the leads reach, there is now Flint mountain SC. Several locations along the A55 corridor have planning approval. Some are under construction.

Further west it is still dreadful. At least we've got 3 new Gridserve rapids at the ferry port.

The destination chargers at Bangor University still aren't active. They've been powered on for months, but can not be used.

·
Super Moderator
Using public transportation
12,623 Posts
A pair of Instavolt rapids have been spotted next to a new McDonald's being built on the outskirts of Rhyl.

That is a great location for Rapids. Maybe not for A55 en-route, but there is life beyond the A55.

·
Registered
VW ID.4 First Edition
15 Posts

·
Registered
VW ID.4 First Edition
15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
9,439 Posts

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Whats next? A rapid charging hub at the Carpet Clearance Centre? Good service is the least our customers deserve. God I hate that advert.
As any fule no, Garden centres (especially when attached to farm shops) have the best restaurants.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·
N Wales adjacent:-

As part of this year’s Clean Air Day campaign on 16 June Cheshire West and Chester Council is offering free charging for electric vehicles at locations across the borough.
The electric vehicle (EV) charge points at the following locations will be offering free charging from 6pm on Wednesday 15 June 2022 to 8am on Friday 17 June 2022.
Each car park has two double-socket ‘fast’ chargers, enabling four EVs to charge at once
  • Bishop Street car park – Chester
  • Brook Street car park – Chester
  • Shrewsbury Road car park – Ellesmere Port
  • Moor Lane car park – Frodsham
  • Chester Road car park – Neston
  • Park Street car park – Northwich.
The Council has also installed two rapid 50 kilowatt EVCPs and a fast charger outside the boat museum in Ellesmere Port.
Being close to the M53 and Stanlow, the rapid chargers are well suited to quick top-ups by passing trades, taxi drivers and the general public.
These will also be free of charge for Clean Air Day.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 · (Edited)
261 - 280 of 294 Posts