Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
301 - 320 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
801 Posts
Shame as I will be using the A55 next week for getting to Beddgelert for a week away. It's stupidly light on any form of charging around there. Thankfully there are a couple of free (apparently) 7kw pod point chargers on site to get me by

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Shame as I will be using the A55 next week for getting to Beddgelert for a week away. It's stupidly light on any form of charging around there. Thankfully there are a couple of free (apparently) 7kw pod point chargers on site to get me by
You are going to die for sure!

"Matthew Killick, Director of Crisis Response and Community Resilience, British Red Cross, said: “We’re all looking forward to enjoying some warm weather this summer, but it’s important to remember that heat can be very dangerous, especially for children, older people and those with underlying health conditions.
“Climate change means we’re experiencing longer and more intense heatwaves, but a worrying number of people aren’t aware of the risks around hot weather. In England alone there were more than 2,500 excess deaths in the summer of 2020, and unfortunately it’s predicted that heat-related deaths in the UK could treble within 30 years.”
"
ps. If it rains near Snowdon get yourself to the coast it is bound to be sunny near Porthmadog, at least it used to work for me..

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kw
212 Posts
Rapid chargers near Bangor Llandudno and Rhyll plus ZapMap show rapid at Betws-y Coed

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
801 Posts
Rapid chargers near Bangor Llandudno and Rhyll plus ZapMap show rapid at Betws-y Coed
Yeah not holding out much hope, the charger at Bangor has issues, as does the ones at Llandudno and at Rhyl and even the BP pulse seems to be sketchy. 3 pin and any working 7kw chargers will be my friend! It’ll be fine and I’ll make it work. The E-Niro is pretty good on electron juice.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kw
212 Posts
Yeah not holding out much hope, the charger at Bangor has issues, as does the ones at Llandudno and at Rhyl and even the BP pulse seems to be sketchy. 3 pin and any working 7kw chargers will be my friend! It’ll be fine and I’ll make it work. The E-Niro is pretty good on electron juice.
Bangor has Osprey works fine gets busy. One classed as Euro over the other side of A55 is free vend and works fine. A week ago. The Rhyll osprey had 2 chargers both seem to work fine
World Ecoregion Map Light Black

Product Communication Device Gadget Font Screenshot

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22)
419 Posts
There is a pair of Osprey's at Talardy (A55 nr Rhyl) and a new pair of Instavolts a five minute drive from there into Rhyl...it would have to be a really bad day t not get a successful charge at either of those and most often I very much doubt you'd have to wait. Four reliable chargers close by isn't terrible.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
You are going to die for sure!

"Matthew Killick, Director of Crisis Response and Community Resilience, British Red Cross, said: “We’re all looking forward to enjoying some warm weather this summer, but it’s important to remember that heat can be very dangerous, especially for children, older people and those with underlying health conditions.
“Climate change means we’re experiencing longer and more intense heatwaves, but a worrying number of people aren’t aware of the risks around hot weather. In England alone there were more than 2,500 excess deaths in the summer of 2020, and unfortunately it’s predicted that heat-related deaths in the UK could treble within 30 years.”
"
ps. If it rains near Snowdon get yourself to the coast it is bound to be sunny near Porthmadog, at least it used to work for me..
I love it when a plan comes together!
World Map Font Atlas Design

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
Dropped by the newly opened Aldi in Llay yesterday.

✅ 4 spaces painted up for EV charging
✅ Power cabinets on the verge behind the spaces
✅ Concrete pads for charging posts
❌ Charging posts

Hopefully, they're just waiting for a Newmotion engineer to come and install the posts.

·
Registered
VW ID.4 First Edition
56 Posts
Dropped by the newly opened Aldi in Llay yesterday.

✅ 4 spaces painted up for EV charging
✅ Power cabinets on the verge behind the spaces
✅ Concrete pads for charging posts
❌ Charging posts

Hopefully, they're just waiting for a Newmotion engineer to come and install the posts.
I wouldn't hold your breath! Ruthin Aldi has been "waiting for engineer" for weeks. (my view is they have been turned off to save some cash) and the Mold ones often out of service. All my emails to Aldi CS and chats with the store manager have got nowhere and I think I'm called "That annoying man with the electric car"! :LOL:

·
Registered
286 Posts
22kW public chargers have begun installation on Anglesey. Looks like they'll be council-run, so pricing as yet unknown.

In Anglesey at the moment and charging is, shall I say, interesting! These sites will be great but really are intended for locals and will get camped on by tourists because of the lack of chargers elsewhere.

I noticed there are two marked spaces near the library in Menai Bridge which aren’t on Glyn’s map so must be some other scheme.

One rapid in Lidl Llangefni and a couple of others at the port in Holyhead, on top of broken/unreliable/restricted at Morrisons Holyhead and in Bangor is not really enough and the wild and wacky mix of destination chargers dotted in some places will surely be defunct when holiday homes etc catch up.

I have seen LOADS of EVs though. God knows where they are charging. An enterprising build where the ex-Wylfa grid crosses the A55 would be like a honey pot.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
801 Posts
I was in Beddgelert for the week last week and the 7kw podpoint charger at forest holidays is what got me through the week. Never failed and as a bonus, it turned out it was free!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·

·
Registered
286 Posts
Planning has been applied to Chester West Council for a 30MW solar farm on the border with Wales.

The Breton Hall solar scheme is, I think, trying to follow the Ripple model and sell shares which will be interesting to see play out and great if it works to save people energy.

I did suggest that a rapid charging hub linked to the site (ideally at the Broughton Shopping Park junction, but even if at the corner of the solar farm by the Driving Range) would be a good earner either directly or in partnership but I think they want a simple ‘generation’ planning application.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In Anglesey at the moment and charging is, shall I say, interesting! These sites will be great but really are intended for locals and will get camped on by tourists because of the lack of chargers elsewhere.

I noticed there are two marked spaces near the library in Menai Bridge which aren’t on Glyn’s map so must be some other scheme.

One rapid in Lidl Llangefni and a couple of others at the port in Holyhead, on top of broken/unreliable/restricted at Morrisons Holyhead and in Bangor is not really enough and the wild and wacky mix of destination chargers dotted in some places will surely be defunct when holiday homes etc catch up.

I have seen LOADS of EVs though. God knows where they are charging. An enterprising build where the ex-Wylfa grid crosses the A55 would be like a honey pot.
I noticed yesterday that a new evolt unit is being installed in the Town Hall car park, Llangefni. Looks like a 50kW unit.

·
Registered
VW ID.4 First Edition
56 Posts
If that's an accurate representation of the meeting, no wonder public charging provision in Wales is dire - they clearly have no clue.

I'm currently trying to get an update from Denbighshire CC on the car park destination charger roll out that should have been completed in March / April and has not yet started. :(

·
Registered
286 Posts
Eugh. That ‘council officer’ quote is just nonsense:

She said: “It’s a consideration of is it possible for us to provide the infrastructure in the timeframe that’s necessary for everybody to be able to charge electric vehicle outside their own homes.
“I suppose it is about being focused and prioritising what we can achieve in first instance.
“It’s more of a Welsh Government input needed on what they pose as a strategy for that. How can we provide what we need to provide for everybody that currently drives a non-electric vehicle to drive an electric vehicle.
“Is that something that we can actually achieve within that timeframe.

I mean, what? Welsh Gov has a strategy with targets. OZEV administer the grants directly to councils. This is just ‘we can’t be bothered’.

I don’t see why they can’t just do a lamp-post scheme in response to requests to use the cash. It’s not going to cover the whole of Wrexham but it’s better than doing nothing!

301 - 320 of 344 Posts