Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
321 - 340 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 ·
Eugh. That ‘council officer’ quote is just nonsense:

She said: “It’s a consideration of is it possible for us to provide the infrastructure in the timeframe that’s necessary for everybody to be able to charge electric vehicle outside their own homes.
“I suppose it is about being focused and prioritising what we can achieve in first instance.
“It’s more of a Welsh Government input needed on what they pose as a strategy for that. How can we provide what we need to provide for everybody that currently drives a non-electric vehicle to drive an electric vehicle.
“Is that something that we can actually achieve within that timeframe.

I mean, what? Welsh Gov has a strategy with targets. OZEV administer the grants directly to councils. This is just ‘we can’t be bothered’.

I don’t see why they can’t just do a lamp-post scheme in response to requests to use the cash. It’s not going to cover the whole of Wrexham but it’s better than doing nothing!
I think this is more "Appear to be doing something", soon to be followed by a shrug and "Our hands are tied".

·
Registered
534 Posts
Eugh. That ‘council officer’ quote is just nonsense:
Not sure whether that's a young and inexperienced journalist or a very experienced and sneaky one, but they've done the classic "write down exactly what they said" trick, which makes almost anyone look like an idiot. That would normally be tidied up a bit into written rather than spoken syntax (or lack of it) before being published.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Tbf, most councils are extremely cash-strapped right now. Unless they can get chargers installed by grants (and then maintenance is continued by the installer rather than the responsibility of the council) I can write understand the response. A council local to me are trying to crowd fund charging installation! (I keep getting investor ads for it)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Tbf, most councils are extremely cash-strapped right now. Unless they can get chargers installed by grants (and then maintenance is continued by the installer rather than the responsibility of the council) I can write understand the response. A council local to me are trying to crowd fund charging installation! (I keep getting investor ads for it)
Operators are - generally - installing for free or even paying rent. The problem is that councils must procure and local politicians think a profit can be made so they end up spending capital and entering into a revenue sharing agreement. This is also why council chargers end up unfixed as they need to find capital again to do so and any revenue income has gone on social care etc

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
1,089 Posts
It has been reported by a user that the (two?) 7kW charge points at Nant Peris park and ride have gone live. There's also been a council press release today - but with no details on how to use them (of course).

They are shown as coming soon on PlugShare. They are not on the map on ABRP, but you can search for and route to them and it will allow for a charge. They appear to be Swarco units on ABPR. Can anyone confirm if they are operational and which network they are on and payment arrangements.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22)
419 Posts
I don't suppose anyone knows how these are operated? I can't really see from the photo of there's a contactless facility. Evolts website doesn't give any indication. I'll be staying on Anglesey for a week later this month, not sure if I'll need a rapid but it'd be good to have an extra option.

Edit: they are Swarco operated and seemingly take RFID, app or contactless payment. 49p/kWh.
I found a map of all the Swarco points which I hadn't seen before. As well as the existing points it also shows a 'coming soon' site in Pwtheli, which is 175kw. Things in North Wales appear to gradually getting better, now just need a couple of big hubs in the right places.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't suppose anyone knows how these are operated? I can't really see from the photo of there's a contactless facility. Evolts website doesn't give any indication. I'll be staying on Anglesey for a week later this month, not sure if I'll need a rapid but it'd be good to have an extra option.
It’s definitely contactless, as well as a SWARCO RFID.

As an aside, SWARCO dropped the evolt branding a while ago but have left it on this chargers which seem to indicate that they assign specific kit to a customer rather than install as sites come up b

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
Looks like they've added some more destination chargers at Deeside Industrial Estate park&ride.
All are covered with what appears to be bin bags, so not working yet.
I still don't know if the original 3x 22kW AC units were ever powered up.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Well, that confused me. These are additional to the ones mentioned as being installed previously (which were 22kW, not rapids):

22kW public chargers have begun installation on Anglesey. Looks like they'll be council-run, so pricing as yet unknown.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
Looks like they've added some more destination chargers at Deeside Industrial Estate park&ride.
All are covered with what appears to be bin bags, so not working yet.
I still don't know if the original 3x 22kW AC units were ever powered up.
CORRECTION
I was passing on the way home tonight, so I called in.
The original chargers are still not live 🤬
What looked like covered destination chargers when driving past, turn out to be 2 rows of "Permit Holder Only" signs! :mad:

·
Registered
286 Posts
CORRECTION
I was passing on the way home tonight, so I called in.
The original chargers are still not live 🤬
What looked like covered destination chargers when driving past, turn out to be 2 rows of "Permit Holder Only" signs! :mad:
Was anyone parked there though? Interesting they go for permit holders at all because it’s an odd place to just park up surely?

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·
Was anyone parked there though? Interesting they go for permit holders at all because it’s an odd place to just park up surely?
There was one car, but not in a signposted space. Only around half of 2 back-to-back rows have been restricted, possibly at the request of (and payment by) one of the companies on the estate.
Signs have also been added to all the already-marked disabled spaces, because you can't see a giant yellow wheelchair symbol when you're parked on top of it!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi everyone - I don’t want to cut across my favourite SpeakEV thread (and the most important one, of course!) but I’ve put a post in the ‘regional’ board looking for anyone who might be interested in kicking of a Wales EV Association (similar to those they have in Scotland, NI, England etc).

We don’t have anything in North Wales at all so thought it was particularly relevant here!

Admins - feel free to delete if this isn’t on topic enough.

·
Registered
76 Posts
On a much smaller scale the Podpoint at Greenacres caravan park near Porthmadog has now been replaced by 2 Rolec posts doubling the number of charging points to four. On the VendElectric app at 35p KWh. Only available to guests staying on the park but a welcome addition none the less.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #339 ·
Possible update at Ewloe Services Eastbound!

Passing this morning, the charger area was taped off, and a van with a mini-digger was parked across the entrance.
Coincidence? Or has SPEN has finally showed up to connect them to the grid?

·
Super Moderator
Honda CB125R + Bus
12,714 Posts
An enterprising build where the ex-Wylfa grid crosses the A55 would be like a honey pot.
There isn't a good place for a charging hub in Llanfairpwll, where is where the wires cross the A55. There is no 400kV substation in the area. A new 400kV substation and charging hub would be a planning nightmare.

Prime location for a hub is just off the A55 in Llangefni. There is land there with planning consent for a services and it is for sale. If you look along the A5114 heading towards Llangefni, there is a roundabout with an exit that goes into a field. That was done in support of the planned services, but the land owners decided not to go ahead with the project. Someone like Gridserve should jump on this.

---> Nine-acre site in North Wales with PFS planning consent back on the market for freehold sale

Other possible en-route hub locations:

A55 at Gaerwen. Council would be amenable to development of land on either side of the Menai Science park. I think one of the parcels is for sale.

A rapid charging hub at Caergeiliog might work. That is the A55 near valley and SP Energy networks recently upgraded the 33kV connection.

Reactions: Meevee
321 - 340 of 344 Posts