Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
It'll be interesting to see...

When Gridserve have upgraded the 3 MSAs nearest Rugby, IIRC they'll actually add more capacity (in terms of connectors) than are at Rugby itself.

But I bet Rugby still draws more business because of the size of the bank.
Unlikely they'll add more chargers at Corley, as it already has banks of Instavolts on both sides (7 SB & 8 NB).

·
Registered
201 Posts
The original refused application showed Instavolt logos on the 2 charging bays, and they have a co-location agreement with KFC, so it's likely.
It's pretty telling that the application has gone from 2 spaces, to 4, and now 12 charging spaces. Doesn't feel like 12 is 'planning ahead' for future capacity.

Every new rapid is a good rapid, of course, and having a hub here would be a big benefit for North Wales but also make it a choice location to stop at (as @matt303 says).

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
Just noticed that the Eastbound Shell at Northop Hall on the A55 is having substantial groundwork’s at the side of the existing petrol station. I may be jumping the gun here but if anyone is passing and fancies a nose?

The location looked like it matched the 2020 planing application:

View attachment 148956
Nice find! The best part is on the "proposed elevations" drawing, where it says
"Introduction of 4 no. Tritium electric vehicle fast charge points" (my emphasis)

·
Super Moderator
11,952 Posts
Yup, 12 chargers vs the 2 either side at Kinmel Park 9 miles down the road means Kinmel becomes the fall back option.
We will have to see what Gridserve does.

I don't know if it is on their expansion plans but there is room for a 6-bay hub on both sides. A55 is probably low priority for them. They haven't replaced any of the DBT/CEV chargers yet.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
A55 is probably low priority for them. They haven't replaced any of the DBT/CEV chargers yet.
I fully expect the A55 to be done last, because the road is labelled with an "A" instead of an "M".
Note that there are also a grand total of zero forecourts announced for Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Haven't they only officially announced three? (Braintree, Norwich and Stevenage)
So you could argue that everywhere outside the East of England is being neglected!
They announced filing the planning application for Bromborough (on the Wirral, so almost North Wales) earlier this month.
It has yet to appear on the council planning website yet, but the council are claiming a COVID-related backlog.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Aldi in Mold now has 4 22kW chargers. And best of all, they just work. No faffing about with apps or RFID cards, you plug in and they charge you as fast as your car will go (11kW in my case). 2 hours parking and there is a McDonalds 100m across the car park.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Aldi in Mold now has 4 22kW chargers. And best of all, they just work. No faffing about with apps or RFID cards, you plug in and they charge you as fast as your car will go (11kW in my case). 2 hours parking and there is a McDonalds 100m across the car park.
Isn't the idea that you visit Aldi, rather than MacDonald's, though? Very kind of them to give you a free charge, though.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Isn't the idea that you visit Aldi, rather than MacDonald's, though? Very kind of them to give you a free charge, though.
I didn’t say I wouldn‘t visit Aldi, but only after I’ve been to Lidl (about 300m away) and McDonalds for a cheap latte. If you want a better Latte there is a Costa next to the Lidl.

In 2 hours I can do all my shopping and get 22kW in the battery. That’s about £2.60 saved vs. charging at home or £5 vs. charging at the Beaufort Park BP Pulse rapid. Either way, it covers the cost of a McDonalds…

101 - 120 of 143 Posts