121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
More N Wales "adjacent" news:-

Chester Services is having it's old Ecotricity rapids replaced this week

The new multi-storey car park being built on Chester's Northgate Development (Behind the Town Hall) site will have
  • 41x EV charging spaces (inc. 2x disabled) from day 1 on level "-1" (the entrance level)
  • 41x more spaces on level "0" with conduit run for future expansion.

Docs here:-

·
Registered
Mustang Mach-e SR RWD
9 Posts
Tesla have tripled the number of rapids in the area, and no one else is really growing which is a shame because the A55 corridor only really needs 2 hubs: one just where the M56 enters Wales (next to a massive solar farm!) and the other near Bangor.

Both sites have existing services (starbucks etc) but are managed by Euro Garages who have shown no signs of wanting to put in charging or to partner:(

View attachment 148124 View attachment 148125
There's rapid chargers at Bangor service now.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
There's rapid chargers at Bangor service now.
There's been one ancient Ecotricity DBT unit in the corner of Starbuck's car park for years.
As @Meevee says, the site is owned by Euro Garages, who have a habit of putting chargers on planning applications, but never installing any.

·
Registered
Mustang Mach-e SR RWD
9 Posts
There is only one charger at Bangor services, maybe EG need a lot of people to contact them and tell them its the future and to install more chargers?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
There is only one charger at Bangor services, maybe EG need a lot of people to contact them and tell them its the future and to install more chargers?
Their recent planning application in Norwich (I think, or was it Nottingham?) attracted a planning condition that said something like "These chargers must be fitted, and they must be maintained for at least 10 years".

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just noticed that the Eastbound Shell at Northop Hall on the A55 is having substantial groundwork’s at the side of the existing petrol station. I may be jumping the gun here but if anyone is passing and fancies a nose?

The location looked like it matched the 2020 planing application:

View attachment 148956
Checking out today this site still seems to be progressing with 4 chargers in and bagged up. Interestingly they haven’t used the configuration I posted before but instead this 2x2 cross layout:

Property Product Rectangle Font Line

(Low quality image tucked away in the health and safety plan)

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Checking out today this site still seems to be progressing with 4 chargers in and bagged up. Interestingly they haven’t used the configuration I posted before but instead this 2x2 cross layout:

View attachment 149792
(Low quality image tucked away in the health and safety plan)
Hopefully, this is to differentiate the charging bays from the existing (angled) parking to the right of the entrance, and therefore prevent ICEing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hopefully, this is to differentiate the charging bays from the existing (angled) parking to the right of the entrance, and therefore prevent ICEing.
I think it’ll definitely do that -they look a pain to park in and are somewhat out of the way. Good for charging though! The slanted spaces will be for queuing but hopefully the design is such that they can add more and more (dreaming!).

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
I think it’ll definitely do that -they look a pain to park in and are somewhat out of the way. Good for charging though! The slanted spaces will be for queuing but hopefully the design is such that they can add more and more (dreaming!).
The slanted spaces have been there since the place opened, for people just going to the shop.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Having now tried them, I can confirm that Mold Aldi's 22kW chargers need no app or card, just bring a type 2 cable.
Yes, and they’re also now switching off after 60 minutes. You can immediately reconnect, but if you go shopping in Mold within the 2-hour Time limit on Aldi’s car park, then you need to pop back to car after an hour to keep the charge going. And yes, obviously if people were waiting I would give up the charger to them. But when I visit (early morning to get bread) there is usually just me connected.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Yes, and they’re also now switching off after 60 minutes. You can immediately reconnect, but if you go shopping in Mold within the 2-hour Time limit on Aldi’s car park, then you need to pop back to car after an hour to keep the charge going. And yes, obviously if people were waiting I would give up the charger to them. But when I visit (early morning to get bread) there is usually just me connected.
As a Zoe owner, I think an hour of 22kW charging is perfectly fair (30% charge gain for a ZE50 = 70-80 miles)

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Buying bread in Mold... :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
How can it be possible to spend 1 hour buying bread? If I dragged out the bread-buying process as long as I possibly could I'd still be out the shop and back at the car within 90 seconds.

·
Registered
330 Posts
As a Zoe owner, I think an hour of 22kW charging is perfectly fair (30% charge gain for a ZE50 = 70-80 miles)
Oh, I see, it’s fine for you folks with “rapid“ AC charging capabilities! ;) It takes my 11kW AC Kona 2 hours to get the same level of charge as your fancy Renault gets in one. And anyone stuck in the dark ages with a 7.4kW onboard AC charger would need 3 hours!

I‘m not complaining, just pointing it out fir anyine that, like me, can happily spend 2 hours doing stuff in Mold.

·
Registered
330 Posts
How can it be possible to spend 1 hour buying bread? If I dragged out the bread-buying process as long as I possibly could I'd still be out the shop and back at the car within 90 seconds.
You've obviously not waited for the bread in Lidl to finish baking then…

And no, I’m not confusing Aldi and Lidl, they’re basically about 500m apart in Mold. And if I have a coffee and then pop to the bank I can easily spend 2 hours picking up the bread.

Or sometimes I pop into Wales’ No. 1 steak restaurant - Just Steak - for lunch.

121 - 140 of 143 Posts