Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
http://ts.la/david3488
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to take the car on my longest trip so far in any EV.
It will also be my first trip abroad in a BEV (I don't include my longest EV drive to Durham from Surrey in a LEAF as abroad ; although the language might has well have been abroad lol)

Has anyone got any tips for a super scenic route taking supercharging into account :)
Travelling via Eurotunnel to Garlenda SV - Italia
End destination has a Tesla Destination Charger 22kw
I plan to depart on a Saturday and stop somewhere overnight in France for two nights (ideas welcome)
Perhaps two separate locations in France, I will then leave Italy on a Friday and stop overnight somewhere in France, so making the trip home one night in France not two.

Shame we cant do a bit of Germany on the autobahn as it would be nice to try some high speed in the P85D

·
Registered
755 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. We went down to Strasbourg / Basel this summer through France and had absolutely no problems at all - even in a 60.

SuC sites were almost universally empty. 130kmh limit on French motorways is a bit faster than officially allowed here and your energy consumption is going to be higher than you probably expect - especially as you'll average a faster speed because of the lack of holdups. Motorways in France were quiet and smooth but pretty expensive - especially given the weakness of the pound post Brexit.

Also, while I still get a little buzz at the concept of fast free supercharging when traveling in the U.K., after the 5-6th SuC charge of the day it does get a bit tedious hanging round and you just want to get on. Having 'for sure' accessible destination chargers at your overnight stops means you could roll up almost empty... but we didn't have the courage this time and made sure we had enough to get to the next SuC 'just in case' which probably added a few unnecessary SuC visits.

AP worked well and was particularly effective given that there are few exits and little traffic. It generally knows the speed limit, but the camera based notification will suggest silly numbers because of a miles to km conversion bug.

To add variety and save some toll money you could go down via Belgium and Germany which are toll free. But the traffic is much heavier and the driving more stressful.

Either way, you'll have a blast and you'll really get to appreciate your Model S a a true 'grand tourer' able to munch miles with low stress and great comfort.

Let us know how it goes !

·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @Flyguy going via Belguim/Germany is an option although the higher speed might just mean more charging.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,582 Posts
Some of the Supercharger spots through Belgium and Luxembourg seem to have slightly better eateries. Traffic is a bit worse but then you don't have all the French tolls.

Then swing down through Switzerland and do one of the passes into Italy. If you want a real buzz do the Stelvio pass, but I realise that may be a bit too far east for you.

Getting max speed on the Autobahn is actually pretty difficult unless you travel at 03:00 or somewhere near the Czech border. ;)

Charge enough to reach the next Supercharger with 10% remaining. You'll then find each charge stop is long enough for a long coffee or short lunch. Once you get the hang of the route planner you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I came back from Tuscany via Grenoble and the Loire. I didn't know there was a huge tunnel between Italy and France costing 45 euro and tolls on those lovely flat roads cost another 154 euro. Very pleasant though and nothing like the m20 o_O

·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
so the tolls are the saving in petrol when supercharging :)
that Stelio pass looks pretty special, is it down hill on the way to the destination for some serious regen?
Perhaps a night stop on the way down to take that in and go home direct via france tolls.
so much choice!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,582 Posts
so the tolls are the saving in petrol when supercharging :)
that Stelio pass looks pretty special, is it down hill on the way to the destination for some serious regen?
Perhaps a night stop on the way down to take that in and go home direct via france tolls.
so much choice!
I'd break up the journey for sure. Cross reference your hotel with the Tesla destination chargers, which will allow you to top up on cheese and wine in the evenings.

·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the target hotel was picked from the tesla site and the stops will also be destination chargers.
I have done tons of driving on french tolls in the past but haven't ever ventured elsewhere into the EU via car.
I will throw up a plan for critique at some point, thanks for the comments so far

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,582 Posts
The Tesla network is so good now it's just a breeze to go wherever you like in Europe. So long as you don't go further West than Madrid or East of Prague. ;)

I'm glad that they've started to put Destination chargers at Ibis and more middle of the range hotels, not just the high end places they started with.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
the camera based notification will suggest silly numbers because of a miles to km conversion bug.
I can't believe they haven't fixed this yet it is absurd.
The car reads the 100kmh signs in Europe as if they were in 100mph then converts it to 160kmh for the AP.
So you can't rely on any indicated speeds..

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,582 Posts
I can't believe they haven't fixed this yet it is absurd.
The car reads the 100kmh signs in Europe as if they were in 100mph then converts it to 160kmh for the AP.
So you can't rely on any indicated speeds..
It's been fixed in one of the latest releases.

I can confirm as I wrote this message while on AP. :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
The important things are a Telepeage tag, a Halifax Clarity credit card (no fees when used abroad) and I would not bother with the Stelvio. Every hairpin is full lock and you still need most of the road, so you often have to stop. The straights are short, and the whole thing just doesn't flow nicely. There are better driving roads not far away.

You don't give a date, but if it's soon then you may meet the first snows, so have enough charge to divert if you are planning to use high altitude roads.

·
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts