Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

761 - 780 of 788 Posts

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Hi John,
The polar app doesn't work on my phone either, which is a bit pants tbh :-(.
Thanks for taking a look, Zap Map says its a Pod Point 7kw (x 2), and Pod point map confirms this. Its on the industrial estate out near Sainsburys not in town. Did Aldi used to be in town or am I thinking of Lidl? Anyway, looks like it should be there somewhere.
The Whitby Aldi does have PodPoints after all. Aldi is next to Sainsbury's and B&M (the old Homebase) on the road to Scarborough (about a mile out of town.)
Lidl there doesn't have any chargers, but if you wish to visit it it is in the West Cliff area (right the other side of town.)

Must day I truly hate this site since its revamp hence I will only post now if it's in response to somehing I previously mentioned. Basic things like highlighting text to cut, copy or amend simply doesn't work any more. It's absolutely awful.

·
Yes I'm a girl! Girls can be EV nerds too ;-)
649 Posts
Must day I truly hate this site since its revamp hence I will only post now if it's in response to somehing I previously mentioned. Basic things like highlighting text to cut, copy or amend simply doesn't work any more. It's absolutely awful.
Yep John - I'm not overly keen myself on the revamp either. Its was so user friendly before, but still its nice to hear from you :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
The Whitby Aldi does have PodPoints after all. Aldi is next to Sainsbury's and B&M (the old Homebase) on the road to Scarborough (about a mile out of town.)
Lidl there doesn't have any chargers, but if you wish to visit it it is in the West Cliff area (right the other side of town.)
I've been hoping they'd put some chargers in Whitby, but this is not particularly brilliant. Few people go to Whitby, I'm thinking, to spend hours in a supermarket, the carpark probably has the usual kind of time limit, so it's not going to be easy to get a significant charge. It's not close to the bits of Whitby people do want to visit. Slow chargers are better in central carparks.

Yes, nasty isn't it? Particularly the hassle of checking alerts.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
the carpark probably has the usual kind of time limit
Don't think it has.. yet! But it seems rude to walk away and leave it there after you've popped into Aldi. 15-20 minutes at 7kW max is hardly worth the effort.
When I'm there next I'll ask them if they mind leaving it there while you go somewhere else for a bit.
There is a bus that runs from Sainsbury's into town and then onto Sleights (the 95) https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/north-east/services/95---whitby-to-sleights/?direction=outbound
So it all depend on how long they mind you staying.
However it's better than nothing if you're desperate and it's free to use.
45 minutes on that should get you to Scarborough Lidl for use of their rapid and to finish off your shopping there!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't think it has.. yet! But it seems rude to walk away and leave it there after you've popped into Aldi. 15-20 minutes at 7kW max is hardly worth the effort.
When I'm there next I'll ask them if they mind leaving it there while you go somewhere else for a bit.
There is a bus that runs from Sainsbury's into town and then onto Sleights (the 95) https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/north-east/services/95---whitby-to-sleights/?direction=outbound
So it all depend on how long they mind you staying.
However it's better than nothing if you're desperate and it's free to use.
45 minutes on that should get you to Scarborough Lidl for use of their rapid and to finish off your shopping there!
Hi guys, I've parked in the Aldi at Whitby - spent a good 3 hours at the pod point there charging an e-golf - no one in Aldi was at all bothered - there is no maximum time limit on the car park as yet (it is a new store, so this could change). FYI the walk into Whitby is about 20-25mins, but allow extra time on the return, as it is up hill!

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I'vr just spotted that PodPoint's Emma-Ivan post in Bridlington has vanished from PodPoint's Map. Anyone know what's happened to it?
(Yes I know it's in East Yorkshire!)

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
They should have replaced it years ago as not fit for purpose. EYCC were sold a pup with that one.
The original one that worked with RFID cards was always OK. But we must suffer an app musn't we!?

·
Registered
809 Posts
They should have replaced it years ago as not fit for purpose. EYCC were sold a pup with that one.
The original one that worked with RFID cards was always OK. But we must suffer an app musn't we!?
Really it's EYCC we need to pester to get the charger replaced.

They may not even know it's kaput.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Might be worth mentioning that PodPoiint's map shows the Whitby Aldi chargers at the wrong location. They're at Aldi not at Howdens as shown.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Really it's EYCC we need to pester to get the charger replaced.

They may not even know it's kaput.
Turns out they do know, by the way. I contacted them, suggesting other networks were available. The tone of the reply suggests they are getting a bit fed up with PodPoint, but that PodPoint are supposed to be doing a major refit around the 14th October.

·
Registered
809 Posts
re: Bridlington. I got an e-mail last week saying that the chargers at the Palace carpark had had a refit, and I gave them a try. I bravely plugged into side B, and got a charge. The chargers are no longer on the Pod-Point map, so you can't confirm charge, but I spoke to Pod-Point and they told me charge confirmation was switched off, and unnecessary. Apparently they are no longer on the map because they are now fully owned by the council. But they do seem to be slow.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Thanks for the update. Let's hope it keeps on working now.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
The chargers are no longer on the Pod-Point map, so you can't confirm charge
Is this fact made clear on the chargers? Otherwise confusing and misleading.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all fellow North Yorkshire owners, or those who travel to our fair county.

We are all well aware of the severe lack of charging infrastructure in our vast county and other than York and possibly Harrogate, it appears there is little appetite for things to change either. I'm sure I recall some of you coming up against a brick wall when contacting Scarborough District Council about the matter.

I have recently contacted Harrogate District Council who now have a new bod in charge of transport and they appear quite receptive, so fingers crossed.

Many of the councils say they've not invested as there's no demand, though how they know that is questionable, so today I've emailed them all, including many of the main town councils too. Hopefully it may encourage them to look into the matter and you never know (y)

I'm telling you guys and guyettes in the hope that you too may contact the various councils and if enough of us do this, it may finally get through to them that there is indeed demand. It's literally as easy as googling the town council web address and obtaining their email address from there. Well, apart from Scarborough Council who must be the most difficult to get hold of ever.

If we as residents don't chase them, kick 'em up the a**e, or otherwise spoon feed them, nothing will change, so please get involved.

Your counties air quality depends on you! :D
I thought I was seeing things on Saturday, a council van going past the chalets in the north bay was in fact a nissan eNV200 elrectric van!!!
Are they charging them by rubbing a balloon on their head?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Morrisons Bridlington (Coming Soon)
Bessingby Industrial Estate,
Bridlington, North Humberside, YO16 4SJ

Located Outside The Cafe
View attachment 126951
Theoretically good new but does it have a contactless option? If not yet another sum stored away on a rarely, if ever, used account and another dedicated phone app. There's too many of these odd balls getting about. Really, how many phone apps should be required? It's getting to seem like dozens. Dangerous times.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,163 Posts
I have a GeniePoint RFID card and you can use a app
Not sure about Contactless but i would think it can when its * implemented.

*The government is, however, reportedly ‘prepared to intervene’ to force contactless pavement at charging points within the next year.
All newly installed rapid or higher-powered electric car charging points should be fitted with contactless bank card readers from Spring 2020, the Government has said.
As part of its Road to Zero scheme, the Department for Transport (DfT) has signalled that it expects charging firms to offer a “roaming solution” across the network, allowing EV drivers to use various different charger networks with a single payment method, rather than having to have multiple cards and smartphone apps.

761 - 780 of 788 Posts