Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are now five in York, but still only one other in the whole of North Yorkshire - at Wetherby Services.

If I wanted a day at the seaside, it's easier to go to Blackpool or Seahouses in Northumberland than our "local" North Yorkshire beaches. OK, so that's because I didn't buy a cable and can only use Rapids, but still...

North Yorkshire needs more chargers!

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I had a very constructive meeting with my local council this morning about the situtation in my town. There 'may' be some improvement over this part of North Yorkshire in the near pipe line too, but it's something that has to be done on a more local level rather than with NYCC.

You don't say where in NY you are. Have you tried contacting your local counsellor to see what can be done? York council have a lot of experience and other councils in NY don't appear averse to asking for advice or experiences from York.

Give it a go - you may be surprised (y)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in the centre of York.

OK, it's nice having so many free Rapids so close to home - if I wanted to, I wouldn't have to pay for charging - but really, I don't need them.

Chargers in Scarborough, or Bridlington, or even Filey, would be nice.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I had a very constructive meeting with my local council this morning about the situtation in my town. There 'may' be some improvement over this part of North Yorkshire in the near pipe line too, but it's something that has to be done on a more local level rather than with NYCC.

You don't say where in NY you are. Have you tried contacting your local counsellor to see what can be done? York council have a lot of experience and other councils in NY don't appear averse to asking for advice or experiences from York.

Always ask to see their sustainable travel plans they may not have them but they should and anyone writing a one tends to include objectives on EV infrastructure. Sometimes they have these but havn't delivered ask how this is being rectified.
Something like this LTP3 and sustainable travel - Durham

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Always ask to see their sustainable travel plans they may not have them but they should and anyone writing a one tends to include objectives on EV infrastructure. Sometimes they have these but havn't delivered ask how this is being rectified.
I think they're on the ball with the whole thing. I don't think it's fair I release what I was told, but they have at least considered many options at this early stage.

I guess it all comes down to money in the end. Harrogate tax payers don't like their cash being wasted and would make a stink if it was. But it's not just Harrogate, it's Harrogate area, which includes many small market towns, tourist hotspots etc.

It was a positive meeting. It nothing happens this time, it never will.

·
Registered
754 Posts
This idea about EV charging infrastructure being a waste of tax payers money is a problem throughout yorkshire (https://speakev.com/threads/trying-to-get-to-skegness.10216/#post-148743)
it's a mindset thing that needs to be challenged and many councils are a bit slow in realising responsibility for public health has now passed to them. Well done therefore for raising it with them it's only local pressure that will change mind sets.

·
Registered
791 Posts

Trouble is that it's not my council that's the problem. There are now a number of rapids in York, which I don't use because they are too near home. Local pressure is not going to cut it.

What I want to see is a rapid at Pickering, at roughly at the centre of the North Yorks dessert. LIDL could handily fill the gap, but apparently they are basing their choice of charger locations on local EV ownership, not on traffic. That seems to be a problem with all the central planning, such as it is. Irritatingly there are a group of Tesla destination chargers (including one white-labelled), hidden away behind a pub, but I can't use them with my LEAF.

Hmm.. there's a BP petrol station near Pickering. BP are putting chargers in at the moment. I'll see if I can find a contact e-mail address. There's a twitter account @BP_plc but that's a bit generic.

(Later: Tweat to @BP_UK gracefully received. Worth a shot.)

A charger at Whitby would be nice, but if I drove there at this time of year and the charger let me down I might struggle to get home. Would probably have to head for LIDL at Scarborough.

I e-mailed the North Yorkshire Moors park authority, and Pickering town council some time ago. The park authority said they'd discussed it, but had no money. Pickering never replied (probably because I'm not local).

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I live in the centre of York.

OK, it's nice having so many free Rapids so close to home - if I wanted to, I wouldn't have to pay for charging - but really, I don't need them.

Chargers in Scarborough, or Bridlington, or even Filey, would be nice.
There’s a free rapid at the Lidl in Scarborough.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
New 22kw Type 2 outside Malton
It's run by Alpha Power so you need a App,
It's on the Plugshare map cost is 30p per kWh.

Device 1:
  • Open Socket (22kW)
  • Open Socket (22kW)
Locations | Alfa Power

Malton Grange Lodges , Amotherby Lane, Amotherby,
Malton
YO17 6UP

Hornsea is also under assessment too

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,282 Posts
As discussed in another thread, a couple more at Scotch Corner wouldn't go amiss! 2 chargers serving the equivalent of both sides of a motorway and a major A road... gets rather busy

We don't all have Teslas :p

·
Registered
107 Posts
Two rapid chargers are being installed soon at RyedaleDC car parks in Malton and Norton. I'll keep you updated as it would be good to get some local EV's along for the grand opening :)

1 - 20 of 102 Posts