1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Awesome stuff. I might go pay them a visit :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
My part of the world is crying out for a Supercharger, probably the most ideal location on the M1 as it is so central.

We have a brand new service area on J29a that falls right in between Woodhall services & Tibshelf, so Ecotricity won't be too fussed, but I just can not get them to talk to Tesla nor the other way around.

·
Registered
266 Posts
.. I've got go try that out .. just for the novelty of it !!

(but word of warning ... the northbound stretch of M1 between J15, 15A, 16 up to 18 has been a near permanent nightmare for past 4 months and will continue till June 2015. Its often a car park at anything other than 2am due to 3 into 1 lane restrictions starting at J16. If google traffic says there's traffic up the M1, avoid using it and keep an eye on grid lock up the A5, A45, and all surrounding roads including the sneaky back roads. I speak from multiple bad experiences in the past month ... sometimes involving hours of delays )

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
.. I've got go try that out .. just for the novelty of it !!

(but word of warning ... the northbound stretch of M1 between J15, 15A, 16 up to 18 has been a near permanent nightmare for past 4 months and will continue till June 2015. Its often a car park at anything other than 2am due to 3 into 1 lane restrictions starting at J16. If google traffic says there's traffic up the M1, avoid using it and keep an eye on grid lock up the A5, A45, and all surrounding roads including the sneaky back roads. I speak from multiple bad experiences in the past month ... sometimes involving hours of delays )
But it will all be wonderful once that's done, and the M1/M6/A14 mess is sorted.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
shame its only 2 x stalls though? where is the rollout out like In Norway and the States? all the chargers outside of London (area excluding reading & maidstone which are close) are only 2 stalls? quick check in Norway and Sweden and there are no 2 stall chargers they are mainly 8 stall?

Typically London centric attitude like everything else is, honestly do people live anywhere else in this country other than the London area? I am beginning to wonder? and who needs a car in London anyway LOL :p

Doesnt look like Tesla are taking this very seriously over here?

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
shame its only 2 x stalls though? where is the rollout out like In Norway and the States? all the chargers outside of London (area excluding reading & maidstone which are close) are only 2 stalls? quick check in Norway and Sweden and there are no 2 stall chargers they are mainly 8 stall?

Typically London centric attitude like everything else is, honestly do people live anywhere else in this country other than the London area? I am beginning to wonder? and who needs a car in London anyway LOL :p

Tesla openly admit they have concentrated rolling out SC to London to serve the large number of people that don't have off-street parking. They use the term "ownership enablement".

It's where they have the largest target demographic and where the incentives are the greatest. Without SCs or your own off-street charging, owning a Tesla would be no fun at all, so it's a necessity to get UK volume unfortunately.

This M1 Supercharger is interesting as it's the first one I'd class as "Range Enablement" rather than being located near high potential ownership densities. (Unless Northampton is a hot Tesla market, which I doubt)

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
My part of the world is crying out for a Supercharger, probably the most ideal location on the M1 as it is so central.

We have a brand new service area on J29a that falls right in between Woodhall services & Tibshelf, so Ecotricity won't be too fussed, but I just can not get them to talk to Tesla nor the other way around.
Although I'd argue somewhere nearer East Midlands Airport would be better, plenty of potential locations. Just off the Motorway and if they can't get enough power feed to put in a 10 bay Supercharger next door to Ratcliffe On Soar power station I'm not sure there's many places in the UK they can ;)

East Midlands Parkway would be good, the airport itself like Edinburgh, and of course as a fall back they could go for one of the many hotels for a 2 Bay running of the existing supply. Hilton East Midlands would be good choice.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Tesla have been selling the Model S in the UK for 6 months. There are already 20 known supercharger sites (if you include the two that they built but which have then been mothballed because of the Ecotricity spat) which is more than they have in Norway, their biggest European market, after 15 months of selling the car there. That's one site every 11 days since launch day. And it's only 19 December; they may not be done yet for 2014 :)

The UK supercharger rollout has been faster than in any other country apart from China (which is quite a bit bigger and more populous than here). Sure, we're seeing small dual-bay sites to start with, and the geographic spread is far from perfect, but that's not surprising given that they're trying to get business owners to agree to something unproven and unheard of. I bet it's easier to get a small site agreed and then to expand it once the landowner sees that it is being used and bringing them benefits. If you look at the Bristol site at Cribbs Causeway for example there are only 2 bays today but the size of the cabling they've run into that car park suggests that they expect to add more - I've never seen power cables that fat!

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Surely the Warrington and Exeter SC classify as "range extension"?
Good point I guess Exeter is.

I'd argue Warrington was an easy way to provide Liverpool and Manchester with coverage.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, and I'm looking forward to more SCs. This one in particular would be great for me, as it means London and back with no nannying the car, or hoping to find an overnight charge! So it's the first one I'd actually use.

It's a real shame we have had the Ecotricity spat, on my travels if instead of the Ecotricity points there were Superchargers I would be laughing! So this is a great step in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Never really look at the supercharger map properly until now.
Every now and again I make a long trek down to Southampton from Manchester 240miles according to google map.
Sat Nav always direct me onto M6, A34 then M3(I think).
Whats the best way to plan my charging?
I reckon drive all the way to reading(by passing Birmingham) charge up, then onto Southampton.

One question, from Manchester to Reading is 200 miles, do you guys think the Tesla will comfortably make that even if I am driving at 70mph+ ?

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I've just received the Tesla email listing their recent additions. Availability is pretty good in my part of the world – if I had a Model S I could probably now run it 100% on Supercharger electricity.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts