Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several new rapids have appeared in Northumberland and today I noticed they have little CYC stickers on them. I am hoping they use they same charging structure as the Scottish Borders i.e. CYC RFID card, £20 annual charge. That would be nice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Interesting. Where are they? I'm interested since I travel from north Yorkshire to the borders on a semi regular basis.
Heading north this weekend, in fact, and will probably recharge 3 times each way (Washington, Hexham and Hawick, then home via Morpeth). A 300 mile-plus weekend by EV!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'm assuming @Robert McAdam was meaning in the recent past about the new chargers already mentioned (as the photo is the one at Ashington according to the #70033) and 'today' they now have @CYC stickers on them?

PS FYi to all. I'm now to believe that you can download the CYC app, register, give card details but you do not have to pay the £20 for a Card, if you do not want a card. You can then just use their App to start the Chargers that will use that mobile phone method, as shown on the @CYC sticker. Obviously if you want to use 100% of their coverage then a card at £20 will be needed, as not all chargers and areas allow this. ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah well I have signed up for the card and the twenty big ones yearly :). There will be 20 new ABB rapids in total, the 'newer' new ones that I know of are in Wylam and Seahouses. Neither are on the CYC map as yet, I can confirm the Seahouses charger is live, don't know about the Wylam one. I am also presuming they will all have the new CYC stickers.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'll try to get them onto the map ASAP for you. We'll just be missing some paperwork or something I'm sure.

Just on the subject of these ABB units, I think I'm right in saying they are the first of their kind in the country and the company is now looking for some feedback from drivers about any problems that may have occurred. We've sent them all the call logs but if anyone has experienced anything specific they'd like to make ABB aware of please email a brief account to - admin at chargeyourcar dot org dot uk

As ever all constructive criticism is gratefully received.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'll try to get them onto the map ASAP for you. We'll just be missing some paperwork or something I'm sure.

Just on the subject of these ABB units, I think I'm right in saying they are the first of their kind in the country and the company is now looking for some feedback from drivers about any problems that may have occurred. We've sent them all the call logs but if anyone has experienced anything specific they'd like to make ABB aware of please email a brief account to - admin at chargeyourcar dot org dot uk

As ever all constructive criticism is gratefully received.
I've used the one at Northumberlandia a couple of times with no problems. In fact I really liked how simple they were to use compared to the complicated menus on the Ecotricity DBT chargers. I also think the blue Chademo plugs are a great improvement.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Northumberland is the place to be with plenty ABB triple head rapids. These are excellent simple to use units, where although not immediately noticeable they can be used by two users simultaneously using 1x AC and 1x DC, though you can not use 2x DCs.
@CYC are NCC intending to ever activate the card option or leaving them card less due to signal issues?

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
I've used the one at Northumberlandia a couple of times with no problems. In fact I really liked how simple they were to use compared to the complicated menus on the Ecotricity DBT chargers. I also think the blue Chademo plugs are a great improvement.
I agree. I used the Northumberlandia one for the first time on Sunday. And when I was in Hexham earlier the same day I tested the dual charging. A Leaf was already charging when I arrived, so I plugged my Zoe into AC and we both charged. My charging rate appeared capped at 10kW (rather than the expected 30-40 kw) so I only stayed long enough so that I could get to cramlington. Even still, 10kw is better than 7!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Northumberland is the place to be with plenty ABB triple head rapids. These are excellent simple to use units, where although not immediately noticeable they can be used by two users simultaneously using 1x AC and 1x DC, though you can not use 2x DCs.
@CYC are NCC intending to ever activate the card option or leaving them card less due to signal issues?
The card function will definitely come into play at some point. NCC are looking to bring in a tariff on the posts soon to cover their costs and this is impossible without the RFID function

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The card function will definitely come into play at some point. NCC are looking to bring in a tariff on the posts soon to cover their costs and this is impossible without the RFID function
Ah well. I am still hoping they use the same charge structure as the surrounding councils, that is CYC on back office and £20 for an RFID card and account.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Had a ride to Seahouses on Sunday. The charger is in the main car park next to the entrance to the caravan park.

Makes the trip a lot easier than stopping at Alnwick for no other reason. Plug in, look round the shops, get some chips and 80% charge. Simples.

:D Small (EV) World. :)
As I was plugging in someone stopped and asked about the chargers. Turned out I'd driven 60 odd miles to bump into someone from the same estate. He's just bought a Zoe, and of course I pointed him at this place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I read somewhere there is a rapid charger at berwick, but cannot see it on cyc map, and as we are traveling to peasebay in Berwickshire, the borders, would be great to find it.

·
BMW i3 Rex
241 Posts
It's at Haggerston Castle Holiday park south of Berwick, but is marked out of service on the CYC map. AFAIK there isn't one actually in Berwick.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I read somewhere there is a rapid charger at berwick, but cannot see it on cyc map, and as we are traveling to peasebay in Berwickshire, the borders, would be great to find it.
If you check plugshare there is a rapid listed at Berwick. I think there was some mention of it on leaftalk, but unfortunately we can't check that at the moment.

·
BMW i3 Rex
241 Posts
If its operational that's good news. Northumberland does seem to getting its act together now. The Borders are quite well populated with chargers - most now with CCS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you, that's the one I recall at the swan centre, only cyc didn't show it on their map, so I assumed it wasn't active as yet. Il try to use it on Monday 20th on my way to pease bay.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Who's to say it's going to be administered by @CYC ? If it's live and not on their map then they have probably signed no contract.

From Plugshare - The Swan Centre, Northumberland Rd, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland TD15 2AS

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's at Haggerston Castle Holiday park south of Berwick, but is marked out of service on the CYC map. AFAIK there isn't one actually in Berwick.
It's at the Swan Centre in Tweedmouth. It's been there for ages but only commissioned a few weeks ago. I've been ranting because it's not listed anywhere.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts