Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad news for this Rapid. As of the 1st of August they are to charge a £5 fee.

I called CYC and they knew nothing about it and they do not know if this is a one off due to it's National Trust self funding?
Would be interesting if you notice the same sign on any of the other 6 ABB chargers in Northumberland?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Dam. I will have a look at some of the others tomorrow. I hope it's just that one. Taxi drivers use it a lot, it's the only one of the new ones that i have had to queue for so i guess it's probably the most used

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to wait 50 minutes tonight until 16:50 as a british Gas e-NV200 van took the whole 60 minutes of his charge cycle. Being cynical, it was probably because he was wasting work time and then ended his shift at 5pm?
@Ajl0ckwood It's a Northumberland County Council unit and CYC just implement what the clients wants as they are back office admin only and now will process the payments for them.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Robert McAdam Just posted in the other forum, same sign at Keel Row, Blyth :(
Seems like Northumberland are following Durham's charging fee policy?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I checked all the nearby new rapids, they all have that sign. I am embarrassed and humiliated. All that talk I made about Northumberland being the 'Mecca' for EV drivers. Utter nonsense. I can't believe how angry I am. I am almost never angry. My wife points out that we are just back to how it was 2 months ago but I don't think so. Tell me this. Do any of you have a desire to come to Northumberland? View attachment 1496 View attachment 1497 View attachment 1496 View attachment 1497

Attachments

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I wonder how many ev owners especially those not regularly on the forums will find themselves unable to charge and stranded by that short notice period?
What were they thinking about leaving it until the last 10 days to make their announcement?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I wonder how many ev owners especially those not regularly on the forums will find themselves unable to charge and stranded by that short notice period?
What were they thinking about leaving it until the last 10 days to make their announcement?
I have no idea. I am going to ask someone. The guy in my gym was absolutely flabbergasted. They were told the chargers would be free till 50000 Electric vehicles were sold in the UK

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had to wait 50 minutes tonight until 16:50 as a british Gas e-NV200 van took the whole 60 minutes of his charge cycle. Being cynical, it was probably because he was wasting work time and then ended his shift at 5pm?
@Ajl0ckwood It's a Northumberland County Council unit and CYC just implement what the clients wants as they are back office admin only and now will process the payments for them.
I had to wait 45 minutes yesterday on m25 as lady started charge just as I arrived and insisted that she need 45mins charge even though at 40min in a zoe turned up also needing charge.
I politely set the charger to just 30min so the zoe didn't have to wait as long but as a result had to limp back home under 65 to make the juice last!
Incidentally battery reached 46 Celsius after 4 rapid charges in same day but luckily didn't get any hotter on way home

·
Registered
449 Posts
I checked all the nearby new rapids, they all have that sign. I am embarrassed and humiliated. All that talk I made about Northumberland being the 'Mecca' for EV drivers. Utter nonsense. I can't believe how angry I am. I am almost never angry. My wife points out that we are just back to how it was 2 months ago but I don't think so. Tell me this. Do any of you have a desire to come to Northumberland? View attachment 1496 View attachment 1497 View attachment 1496 View attachment 1497
At least it's not £7.50!
£5 is a realistic maximum for the rapid service.
Also is that per charge or per 30min.. sounds like you are getting a better deal there too as you could be connected 60 min and in MK that would cost you £15!

·
Registered
268 Posts
At least it's not £7.50!
Also is that per charge or per 30min.. sounds like you are getting a better deal there too as you could be connected 60 min and in MK that would cost you £15!
Conveniently placed, that saves your arse from a flatbed-yes! I would pay a pretty penny for that. But this is not the case for these. No EV driver is ever gonna get caught short in Newbiggin, believe me. These rapids, pretty as they are, will gather dust and cobwebs.

·
Registered
394 Posts
At least it's not £7.50!
It's interesting isn't it? The £7.50 CM fee resulted in off the scale levels of indignation. This £5 fee has also resulted in angry reactions (here and elsewhere). With the cost to charge at home being about a couple of quid (for those not on the cheap night tariffs) then it makes you wonder just what price a company can charge for electricity from a rapid charger without people feeling ripped off. £4? £3? £2.10 ?

·
Registered
268 Posts
£4 :) 40 minute charge. I shut my eyes and imagine groups of 3 rapids placed side by side, each group of three never more than 40-50 miles from another group of 3, spread all along the main roads up and down the country. Councils installing their own rapids, cheaper charge rates, or even free to encourage tourists to visit. sigh

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,694 Posts
I was not expecting them to stay free but think still too soon to stop new EV incentives. When they have queues then that is the time so extra units can be installed and then charge per kW.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I think 5 quid is still a little high, also the transition from free to paid is too much of a jump, they would be much better starting low and working up to higher rates, its going to scare people off and put people off buying an EV if they dont, these business will learn the hard way, if they think these chargers are going to get the same level of use they do when they are free they need to think again.

I actually think charging is a good thing but they need to get it right, they also need to get it in to their heads that there is little money to be made from charging for charging as well, if they get the price wrong people wont use them, they will sit idle, chargemaster are going to learn this lesson in the next 6 months, I can see them going belly up when all the funding dries up.

One thing charging will do is stop local free loaders plugging in because its cheaper than charging at home, the peartree charger near me is often busy with locals getting a free fill, its not really what they are meant for.

Ecotricity need to be looking at £3.00 for 40 mins but should work up to it, so say start it at £1.50 and go from there, they have been offering it for free (to us) for a while now this shouldnt seem so bad?

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I think £5 is the very top of acceptability. But this only works if it is per charge, not per 30 minutes, or worse, up to 80% with a double fee to go higher.

·
Registered
268 Posts
One thing charging will do is stop local free loaders plugging in because its cheaper than charging at home, the peartree charger near me is often busy with locals getting a free fill, its not really what they are meant for.

That's a good point. I suspect the taxi drivers and learner driving schools will still use some of the more convenient ones.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts