Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
75% of all vehicles sold in Norway now have some sort of plug.

Deisel and Petrol cars are a dying breed.

I wonder if we could ever get close?

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
So Norway has about 50k miles of reasonable roads, UK is more or less the same. Granted UK has vastly more tiny roads that won't have petrol stations lining them. The length of road which you could realistically expect to be covered by a charging (or fuelling) network, appears remarkably similar.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t see the point of the comment when the average daily mileage in the UK is less than 30 miles.

It’s not as if many people drive even 100 miles every day.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I think the main point is that Norway has had a consistent long term approach to encourage adoption across 10-20 years of successive governments.
I don’t think the annual process of sifting through dense cryptic pages of the budget to find out where the government of the day has hidden unannounced random tax changes that come into force only hours later is a thing in Norway.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Does Norway have a car industry ?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I guess Norway has a car industry similar to the UKs: importation of German, Korean, Japanese, French etc cars, sales, distribution, servicing of the same. They probably import the odd Sunderland made Leaf when they are desperate 😎

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don’t see the point of the comment when the average daily mileage in the UK is less than 30 miles.

It’s not as if many people drive even 100 miles every day.
It isn't enough for a car just to meet the average requirement, people demand their cars can also meet their occassional requirements like family holidays, trips to see relatives, business trips. That means being able to travel a few hundred miles as a minimum, so requires access to decent charging infrastructure.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I meant the comment that Norway doesn’t have ‘proper roads’ and therefore everyone merely drives in the city.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Does Norway have a car industry ?
Right now there is no car industry. I don’t think Norway builds many cars. This may indeed help them to make decisions without pressure from vested interest. Although of course they were also heavily oil dependant in the past and are moving away despite the clear vested interests that being an oil producer brings.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Norway is so different from the UK you might as well compare us with Bangladesh.
Our government would kill to have the labour laws of Bangladesh

Norway has no tax on EVs yet we all still pay VAT and the grant got cut. You buy an EV in Norway as it’s cheaper and you give a toss about the environment. The average sun reading moron doesn’t

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
The irony with Norway is the EV usage ensures more of their hydroelectric gets consumed at home, leaving more oil to export to the rest of the world and more funds to accumulate in their sovereign wealth fund. Per capita, they are a very rich country and can afford the EV TAX breaks, something that Bangladesh might struggle with.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Taxes on ICE cars in Norway mean that the cheapest ones cost about double the UK price. This makes EVs cheaper than ICE in Norway.
I was recently there, and it seemed that most EV purchases aren't environmentally-driven (no pun intended), but purely financial. Furthermore, many people expect EVs to be taxed in the future as heavily as ICE cars are now.
I disagree with this thread's headline because Norway aren't showing us how it should be done. Making ICE cars so expensive would be unacceptable in most countries, who aren't as rich as the average Norwegian. Yes, ICE cars pollute and EVs are better for the environment, but the Norwegian model isn't the one we should blindly envy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts