Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that the Mcdonnalds drive through on the Norwich Airport is currently under going a refit which should be finished about 10th May.
Part of the refit will include a charging point. If like the other Mcdonnalds in Norwich I would think it will be POD 7kw. Type 2.

Once finished I will check and update again.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I was told that the Mcdonnalds drive through on the Norwich Airport is currently under going a refit which should be finished about 10th May.
Part of the refit will include a charging point. If like the other Mcdonnalds in Norwich I would think it will be POD 7kw. Type 2.

Once finished I will check and update again.

Shame that all Mc Donalds dont have EV Charging. What a great network that would be across the UK

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
They'd only get ICE'd. Look at all the Grill Parking, which is supposed to be for those waiting for something to be produced that wasn't immediately available in the drive through. Usually stuffed full of empty cars with the drivers and passengers inside the restaurant (certainly at my local McDonalds, anyway).

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
The dwell time in a fast food restaurant is very low so I can't see why they would want a 7kW charger there as would encourage someone to plug in and go elsewhere (possibly for a more leasurely meal) and they often have limited parking.

Fast food restaurants such as McDonald's, KFC, Burger King could be good places for a rapid but great care would be needed to stop them being ICEd.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,602 Posts
Why haven't companies like MacDonald's invested in hydraulic posts, imagine the fun you could have,

Some one watching the space on CCTV

Car pulls up and people get out and start walking away

Operator: "Excuse me you can't park your car there" over the tanoy

Completely ignored

Operator "You really can't park there, the bollard is about to be raised"

Still ignored

Operator "You can't say you haven't been warned"

Operator "Hey everyone another car is about to fly"

Press big red button and watch car jump a meter in the air.

Driver comes back to find car jacked up in the air and a big dent in the floor pan.

Have a nice day :)

Yeah I know:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
They've just refit the McDonalds here, but no chargers :/

7kw seems a wee bit pointless though.

I like the idea of charging when i'm doing something anyway, so 20mins on a rapid while having lunch seems like a sensible thing.

22kw is probably the best combination between cost and usefulness if they dont want to spend out on a rapid.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
22kw is probably the best combination between cost and usefulness if they dont want to spend out on a
If you have a Zoe or dual charger Tesla maybe. For everyone else that would give 7kW or 3kW for most Leaf :oops:. Proper triple head rapid is what is needed - ideally with two concurrent (at reduced rate).

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
22kw serves everyone at a minimal extra cost. Single charger Teslas can get 11kw, as can the B250 and the i3. Zoe can pull the full 22 as can dual charge teslas. Leaf/ioniq can get 7kw etc etc.

I suspect we'll see more three phase capable cars coming on as the germans start producing things, as a lot of germany and europe has low current three phase supplys and thus it fits better to run 11kw three phase than 7kw single.

The cost difference between installing a 7 and a 22 has to be essentially zero, and gives maximum coverage outwith an actual rapid, which costs 10's of thousands of pounds...

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
I agree destination charges should be 22kW moving forward (which Tesla are trying to do with theirs) as little incremental cost if 3 phase available. However, for a fast food site with 20 minute typical visit time a rapid would be a better solution IMO...

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I agree destination charges should be 22kW moving forward (which Tesla are trying to do with theirs) as little incremental cost if 3 phase available. However, for a fast food site with 20 minute typical visit time a rapid would be a better solution IMO...
I fully agree. But given the cost implications of the various options:

a) install a 7kw post on a 32A single phase supply

b) install a 43kw rapid charger on a 63A 3 phase supply

c) install a 22kw post on a 63A 3 phase supply...

if your considering a), then b is 10's of thousands of pounds extra, and c is probably a couple hundred quid more. If done sensibly (ie using a 63A cable, or better yet something even larger rather than skimping in with a 32A cable...) it means in future the costs to swap out a rapid are significantly less, as your not needing to dig up the car park.

Annoyingly Tesla have just fitted three chargers as part of their destination program at a shopping centre near my parents, and have elected to only fit 7kw units... I guess given the location three 7's is probably better than one 22, but still annoying.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Annoyingly Tesla have just fitted three chargers as part of their destination program at a shopping centre near my parents, and have elected to only fit 7kw units... I guess given the location three 7's is probably better than one 22, but still annoying.
They have load sharing built in - that install makes no sense! Have you asked Tesla - Why?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Destination charges should relate to how long someone spends at the destination, therefore at a fast food outlet a destination charger should be at least a 50kW rapid....

A 7kw at a fast food outlet is only useful for the employees to charge at.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Maybe fiting a 7kW is a cunning plan by McDonald's to get people to eat their way through the entire menu. Of course if they arrived in a flat Zoe 40 and want a full charge, they may not fit in when they leave :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When talking to the manager of the Norwich Airport Mcdonalds and showing him what I was doing for a charge, one question he asked was "how long does it take to charge" ?
When I told him that this was a destination charger and would take a few hours to charge my 24kw Leaf, he said "I wish I knew that before so we could have had a Rapid instead."
Show that installers who are looking to help us EV drivers do not really know what they or us need.
Too late now to change things at Norwich - so lets hope the new Lidl store will be getting the Rapid for different.

·
Registered
807 Posts
They great for meetings and top up on your phones.
The ones I have seen lately have charge pads on the table to place your phone on and each table has a twin socket on the wall.

So EV charging at 7KW sounds the best option all round.#
Top up you EV
Top up your phone
Top up your Tum Tum

1 - 17 of 17 Posts