Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The document talks about 8 branded charging points likely to be an eight stall Tesla SuC.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Seems like Broadland district council has given the approval for planning permission. Did see in the EDP it could be open early next year.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
361 Posts
It’s great to see another one in planning but I’m sceptical how beneficial this location will be for people on the move. For a start it’s on the east of Norwich but I guess it’s useful for Great Yarmouth.

·
Registered
705 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,254 Posts
It’s great to see another one in planning but I’m sceptical how beneficial this location will be for people on the move. For a start it’s on the east of Norwich but I guess it’s useful for Great Yarmouth.
Yeah. If you want to head out that way, Swaffham or Thetford might've been better locations.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,386 Posts
Yeah. If you want to head out that way, Swaffham or Thetford might've been better locations.
There’s an 8 bay Instavolt at Necton, not as flash looking as the development in the OP, but a very useful resource for that part of the country.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,254 Posts
There’s an 8 bay Instavolt at Necton, not as flash looking as the development in the OP, but a very useful resource for that part of the country.
If you look where the Gridserve is going on Google maps, it's about half a mile from a Bannantynes, which has a pair of Instavolts.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,386 Posts
If you look where the Gridserve is going on Google maps, it's about half a mile from a Bannantynes, which has a pair of Instavolts.
I agree there’s not a lot of logic to it here, it was just that within 6 miles of Swaffham there’s already a great charging resource.

The more the merrier I say.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I agree there’s not a lot of logic to it here, it was just that within 6 miles of Swaffham there’s already a great charging resource.
The Gridserve is more convenient if you aren't going that way! Outside Norwich is fairly sensible because it's the largest city for miles - so lots of traffic potentially. I don't think it's trying to compete with Bannatyne's, rather it's complementary.

I have to go to Great Yarmouth sometimes and I don't pass Necton. Most of the chargers en-route are single units, so this would certainly be my preferred stop if I needed to charge (although there's a new 22kW on the industrial estate now by the looks of it which might be even more convenient).

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's close to me (which means it's essentially not of much use although I'll probably visit out of interest) but I'd have thought that the Thickthorn junction of the A11 and A47 would have been a more obvious location. However, I guess in addition to Yarmouth it's also on the way to N Norfolk coast if you're going up the A1270.

Reactions: Petriix

·
Registered
479 Posts
It's close to me (which means it's essentially not of much use although I'll probably visit out of interest) but I'd have thought that the Thickthorn junction of the A11 and A47 would have been a more obvious location. However, I guess in addition to Yarmouth it's also on the way to N Norfolk coast if you're going up the A1270.
That's about the least EV friendly route imaginable: drive 15 miles round on dual carriageways with loads of roundabouts rather than 5 miles at lower speeds going through the city. There's already a couple of Instavolts a few hundred yards from there anyway. There are significantly better locations they could choose.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the way the 24 rapid chargers are undercover, but the eight stall Tesla SuC is in the car park and open to the elements!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I like the way the 24 rapid chargers are undercover, but the eight stall Tesla SuC is in the car park and open to the elements!
Tesla drivers don't need cover!

Reactions: jeffUK and E7EV

·
Premium Member
11,943 Posts
I suspect they choose locations based on grid connectivity and not where EV drivers would like them. A lot of their businesses model is based on the associated battery storage and offering grid stabilisation, so areas where that may be needed also feeds into their choice of locations. They will probably also make some money on retail side, but not much on actually charging cars... It will be funny when ICE drivers think it is a regular forecourt and can't find pumps 😁

1 - 20 of 54 Posts