Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am waiting for delivery of a Zoe which should be with me by December, or at least that’s what I am telling myself.
Anyway,in the meantime I am also waiting for the installation of the Chargemaster Unit. However, I have found out that Chargemaster are quite limited in what works they undertake as part of the standard installation, i.e. no Mains Isolation Switch, no Groundworks. As I live in Scotland any additional works is covered by a grant, however I am now faced to get seperate quotes for the enabling works, possibly involving up to three different contractors.
As a result I have contacted a local company who offered to undertake all the works and install a Rolec charger instead. The installation would not cost me any money, as anything (i.e. the Renaul contribution) is covered by the Scottish Government.
Has anybody else done this in lieu of a Chargemaster Unit?
Cheers
CaptFish

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
I wouldn't bother with CM they have a reputation, get your local sparkie to do it - almost guaranteed to be a better experience, and it doesn't cost you any different.

Also welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Hi CaptFish
We've met on RZOC. Welcome :)
Yeah as Jack suggests might be better with a local spark, Rolec have been mentioned in other posts for poor comms, so check that out if you go with them

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
There shouldn't be any problems with the Rolec for comms**, you just need to make sure you have the Renault 32 amp version installed, these are different as they have a different RCBO to cope with the Zoe's spikey current request at the start of charge.

** There are problems with Volts, but looks like that might be a firmware problem on the Volt/Ampera side - related to sleep charging.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,553 Posts
Make sure Renault are aware you plan on using a different installer so they can cancel the Chargemaster install. And make sure they will still contribute their 25% to an alternative installer.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,553 Posts
Renault are onto a good thing in Scotland then eh. Claim a free charger install is part of the deal with a Zoe, but Scot GOV fit the bill..... does that mean I should really have got 2? lol

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. The local guys are coming out on Friday for survey and advise on costs for all works (including trench, etc). Based on their feedback I might just go with them for ease and single point of contact installation.
I was not aware when I ordered the car that in Scotland all associated costs can be covered by a grant which gives more freedom that simply having to put up with whatever CM decide is feasible.
I checked with EST and they advised that I can chose whoever I want, it would be covered.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have now selected a local company who are pretty flexible and will install the charger whenever it suits me. As I am in Scotland a grant covers the remainder of the installation, so I am not dependant on the CM installation and Renault contribution. Worth considering if you are in Scotland.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Checked with Electric Vehicles Scotland and they advised that their grant to assist the EV installation (additional to the OLEV grant) has now run out. They are still hopeful that they will receive new funds for the coming year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.