Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my e-niro for four months now and had no problems charging. However today to, on a rapid I've used before, it looked and sounded like it was connecting but didn't actually charge. All three lights lit up and they all flashed a couple of times then nothing happened.

I've had a Google and can't find anything about this so wondered if anyone knows what that means? Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
As always...did it work on another charger? If so the rapid you were using was probably failed in some way. Lots of failure symptoms on these things and almost never the car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think so, no. I did press the button inside to override, just in case. It must have connected though as I've had emails to say my 1 min 0kwh charge is completed.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,505 Posts

According to the manual 3 flashing lights means "error while charging". I would suggest that you test the car on another (similar) charger. Then report back...

Reactions: terryya

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As always...did it work on another charger? If so the rapid you were using was probably failed in some way. Lots of failure symptoms on these things and almost never the car.
Didn't get chance as it was a single unit. Although I was around 34% it was more a convenience charge as loads of rapid chargers are free around West Yorks so it makes sense to charge when I pop into Town.

I thought it probably was the charger but was intrigued by the three lights flashing together. Would probably have reset the charger but there was another car using the type 2.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 138939

According to the manual 3 flashing lights means "error while charging". I would suggest that you test the car on another (similar) charger. Then report back...
Brilliant, thanks.

Does sound like the charger. Car is currently charging fine on my home charger and I'll see how it goes never time on the rapid.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
870 Posts
Something very odd like this happened to me the other day. It was late evening in an isolated car park. Using an Engie 50kW rapid in Halifax For a quick FOC top up. I’ve used that charger previously without any issue. I wasn’t watching the lights as was busy on my phone. Started a top up charge, after a minute or two it stopped. First thing I noticed was a UVO message saying charging completed or some such thing.

I have never set a schedule ever. My car limit for rapids is set at 80%. It was currently at around 45% iirc. I unplugged, restarted the charge but then it happened again. There was a rather suspicious looking hoody guy walking around with his phone on. He kept looking at me as he walked all around my car from a distance. I got a bit spooked by all this so unplugged and left hastilly. I went straight to another identical charger a mile away which worked perfectly. I’ve no idea what was going on. It sounds very unlikely but was the hoody guy somehow hacking into the charger app? Anyway, my paranoia told me to leave.

Peter

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't think so, no. I did press the button inside to override, just in case. It must have connected though as I've had emails to say my 1 min 0kwh charge is completed.
Almost certainly a charger failure. Try elsewhere. What brand/network was the charger?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Something very odd like this happened to me the other day. It was late evening in an isolated car park. Using an Engie 50kW rapid in Halifax For a quick FOC top up. I’ve used that charger previously without any issue. I wasn’t watching the lights as was busy on my phone. Started a top up charge, after a minute or two it stopped. First thing I noticed was a UVO message saying charging completed or some such thing.

I have never set a schedule ever. My car limit for rapids is set at 80%. It was currently at around 45% iirc. I unplugged, restarted the charge but then it happened again. There was a rather suspicious looking hoody guy walking around with his phone on. He kept looking at me as he walked all around my car from a distance. I got a bit spooked by all this so unplugged and left hastilly. I went straight to another identical charger a mile away which worked perfectly. I’ve no idea what was going on. It sounds very unlikely but was the hoody guy somehow hacking into the charger app? Anyway, my paranoia told me to leave.

Peter
Mine was also on an Engie charger but not in Halifax and there wasn't a dodgy guy hanging around. I've used the North Bridge one in Halifax in the dark before though and it's like a scene from the start of a horror movie.:eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Almost certainly a charger failure. Try elsewhere. What brand/network was the charger?
It was an Engie one, which I think is a rebadged Genie. I'm going to try another one tomorrow hopefully when I've got to hang around for 45 mins whilst daughter is at the gym.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts