Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm with Octopus and have a 5 hour cheap slot 2130-0230. I set the onboard charge timer for this time every night so that if I need a charge I just plug it in when the wife gets home from work and let the charger do its stuff. This weekend the charge remaining was very low, I plugged the car in on Saturday afternoon and the next morning it had only got to 74% before shutting off (I guess the 'chameleon' charger really is as inefficient at 7kW as I have been reading). The car wasn't used on Sunday, so I just left it plugged in assuming it would finish the charge when the charge timer kicked in. Instead, we found this morning that the charge was still 74%. The only thing I can think is maybe you have to unplug and replug the cable to set the charge timer up again? This makes no sense to me, but I can't think why else it failed. Thoughts?

·
Registered
255 Posts
There are all sorts of tricky edge cases and odd behaviour around charge scheduling in the Zoe.

There are three options in the car: always charge, "start charging after", and scheduled charging. The latter two both require a ZE Services subscription, even if you're setting them in the car.

"Start charging after" is a one-hit wonder; once it's happened, you need to set it again before it'll take effect.

The full charge scheduler is very fussy about when it will and won't start charging. It can sometimes be deactivated by other connected-services things like turning on preconditioning. If you let the car go to "sleep" before plugging it in - for example, you get home, lock the car, have dinner, then later remember to plug it in - then you need to unlock the car to "wake it up" fully before plugging in; if you just open the charging flap then the car only half wakes up at the appointed charging time, and charging will fail to start. (In my case, this led to a failure of the charge point as it got stuck into a cycle of trying and failing to start charging for so long that the relay failed.)

My guess is that once your car completed its first scheduled charge, it went into this same deep sleep and will have needed to be "woken" at some point before a second scheduled charge will happen; I suspect that, if during the day on Sunday you'd unlocked then re-locked the car, it would have charged on schedule that evening. So I don't think you were far wrong in your guess!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are all sorts of tricky edge cases and odd behaviour around charge scheduling in the Zoe.

There are three options in the car: always charge, "start charging after", and scheduled charging. The latter two both require a ZE Services subscription, even if you're setting them in the car.

"Start charging after" is a one-hit wonder; once it's happened, you need to set it again before it'll take effect.

The full charge scheduler is very fussy about when it will and won't start charging. It can sometimes be deactivated by other connected-services things like turning on preconditioning. If you let the car go to "sleep" before plugging it in - for example, you get home, lock the car, have dinner, then later remember to plug it in - then you need to unlock the car to "wake it up" fully before plugging in; if you just open the charging flap then the car only half wakes up at the appointed charging time, and charging will fail to start. (In my case, this led to a failure of the charge point as it got stuck into a cycle of trying and failing to start charging for so long that the relay failed.)

My guess is that once your car completed its first scheduled charge, it went into this same deep sleep and will have needed to be "woken" at some point before a second scheduled charge will happen; I suspect that, if during the day on Sunday you'd unlocked then re-locked the car, it would have charged on schedule that evening. So I don't think you were far wrong in your guess!
Another foible discovered. I really like this car, but there are a few things about it (like this and the promised remote pre-conditioning not working) that make me feel like I'm testing a beta product. Which is a bit odd for, what, the third iteration of this model?

·
Registered
939 Posts
John, your final thought in your opening post is almost certainly correct. It carried out the timed charge as requested, but until you unplug and plug in again, it won’t reset the timer for the following night. It seems odd, but I suspect they’ve not considered he car being left plugged in for days at a time on a timer..

Reactions: John RB

·
Registered
224 Posts
Another thing to check is the actual charge unit. We have fluctuating volts from the mains so the unit (bp Chargemaster unit) will sporadically turn itself off when it feels the volts are not withing the desired parameters (+-20v). I can set the car to charge within a certain timeframe but it can’t guarantee it’ll charge non stop within that window because of the charge unit. Maybe yours has had the same problem?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another thing to check is the actual charge unit. We have fluctuating volts from the mains so the unit (bp Chargemaster unit) will sporadically turn itself off when it feels the volts are not withing the desired parameters (+-20v). I can set the car to charge within a certain timeframe but it can’t guarantee it’ll charge non stop within that window because of the charge unit. Maybe yours has had the same problem?
Mines a pod point that I've used on my leaf with no issue for the last 3 years. Hopefully ok! I just checked and it is now charging.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today, we were out in the car all morning, parked up at home at around 1400, plugged the car in and left it. I checked on the app - it showed the car plugged in and the next charging event at 2130. Not trusting it anymore, at 2031 I checked on the app. It showed it as plugged in, with the next event charging at the same time tomorrow. I went and sat in the car - it wasn't charging. I went into the charging page and selected immediate charge and it started charging. I then set up a new timed charge event for 5 minutes away and switched to that. The charging stopped as I expected. At the new time, nothing happened even though the car showed the car as plugged in. I then had to go back to the immediate charge, which will annoyingly extend the period beyond my cheap Octopus period.

Am I doing something obviously wrong? Who do I raise this with - the main Renault dealer, who I'm sure won't have a clue, or is there a system for filing software faults?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Renault multimedia and navigation customer service is on 0344 369 0000. They’re based in Portugal, I think.. Used them when we had issues with our old Zoe’s and it’a with them we raised the pre-conditioning problems.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last night's weekly charge worked fine on the timer. This morning I also confirmed that 2 blips on the remote unlock button frees the cable from the car.

Hopefully what I experienced last week with the charge timer not working was just because I did something in the wrong sequence.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts