Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Not charging

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  h8ten 
#1 ·
Got home last night with 30 miles showing,plugged her in and waked away.
Didn’t hear the beep from so I went back and no lights on the dash,green light on the charger though.
Unplugged everything and tried again and it worked,green solid light and the beep,
Been having a few glitches with her so I’m going to test the 12v batt when I get home.

#2 ·
Check both plug and socket for any squashed bugs, particularly the smaller signal pins. I don't think bugs are particularly conductive. Are there any warning's on the dash like 'Unable to Charge'? When my charge socket packed in (possible hairline crack causing a short) it tripped the breaker in the house and I did not get a chance to see any message but trying the granny charger I could hear a relay in the brick bit clicking on and off and the message 'Unable to Charge' was going on and off with the relay clicks, the same applied to public charge points.

#8 ·
No alerts on the dash.
Just the radio resets itself every now and then.
The radio "resetting" is a feature not generally found on other cars.
It can play a CD when you next drive it when you were sure you left it on a radio station plus it may even choose a station for you as well.
You never get bored with the same music/talk show.
Mine even ocasionally manages to find a dead station that only hisses or wipes out saved stations. Never a dull moment driving the Volt/Amp! ? ? ?

#16 ·
As it's getting damp these days, you may be getting a !posture problem in the charging socket. Give it a good squirt of WD40, wait 10 mins, wipe it as clean as poss and try again. I always wipe the inside of the charging socket dry before closing it, and when charging in rainy weather I use a large bulldog clip thing to clip a stiff polythene bag over the plug as a rain deflector tent. Not elegant, but effective.

#17 ·
I had to have my chargeport replaced due to what they suspected to be a hairline crack. Symptoms were that firstly it did not toot after being plugged in. Checked the car and no errors at all but it had tripped the breaker in the house. Reset that and it tripped again. I tried a public charger, thinking it might be my chargepoint, but all it did was make sounds of a relay clunking on and off and accompanied by the dash light flashing along with the clunks and with a message 'Unable to charge'. I tried the granny charger and it was the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.