Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

After a few years in my very reliable 2005 Polo I finally decided to update to the Golf GTE Advance at VW Listers..

On first viewing it at the Listers dealership, the salesman said he'd put it on charge fo me so I could experience e-mode in my test drive..

Turns out and I quote he 'forgot to switch the plug on'.. ok everybody makes mistakes.. I do believe him tbh as he seemed pretty honest about it. He still showed me every other feature of the car and I decided to buy it.
Collected it a week later and the salesman said they'd experienced a power-cut in the week and this must have reset/fried the pods so they couldn't charge it for me but filled a full tank of petrol..

I drove it home on the 'charge battery' mode just to see if it would and yes it worked fine. Drove it in e-mode for a bit - awesome.

Tried to charge it at home (3 pin plug) and nope, not charging. The power pack flashes green on the vehicle and the car shows a steady/flashing amber or red. I've tried plugging it in and out/various sockets with no luck.

I'll try the other cable in a car park somewhere and see if its the cable thats the problem but I don't feel positive about it..

I'll going to visit VW in the morning tomorrow and see what they can do. Looking at other posts on here looks like it's an annoying problem for a lot of users so I don't feel hopeful. I hope they don't have to take it away to be fixed for a few days/weeks :(

Does anyone know any tips/tricks that could help or anything I might be doing wrong?

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,677 Posts
Hey guys,

After a few years in my very reliable 2005 Polo I finally decided to update to the Golf GTE Advance at VW Listers..

On first viewing it at the Listers dealership, the salesman said he'd put it on charge fo me so I could experience e-mode in my test drive..

Turns out and I quote he 'forgot to switch the plug on'.. ok everybody makes mistakes.. I do believe him tbh as he seemed pretty honest about it. He still showed me every other feature of the car and I decided to buy it.
Collected it a week later and the salesman said they'd experienced a power-cut in the week and this must have reset/fried the pods so they couldn't charge it for me but filled a full tank of petrol..

I drove it home on the 'charge battery' mode just to see if it would and yes it worked fine. Drove it in e-mode for a bit - awesome.

Tried to charge it at home (3 pin plug) and nope, not charging. The power pack flashes green on the vehicle and the car shows a steady/flashing amber or red. I've tried plugging it in and out/various sockets with no luck.

I'll try the other cable in a car park somewhere and see if its the cable thats the problem but I don't feel positive about it..

I'll going to visit VW in the morning tomorrow and see what they can do. Looking at other posts on here looks like it's an annoying problem for a lot of users so I don't feel hopeful. I hope they don't have to take it away to be fixed for a few days/weeks :(

Does anyone know any tips/tricks that could help or anything I might be doing wrong?
When you are using the ‘brick’ it may not work if the socket you select fails the self test.

As above, try the instant charge button.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I've tried the immediate charging button - nothing happens.

I don't have any schedules set up either

The self-test on the 'brick' seems to be working fine - the lights all flash red then go green one by one, then a steady green, except the vehicle light which continues to flash green.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Thanks guys, I've tried the immediate charging button - nothing happens.

I don't have any schedules set up either

The self-test on the 'brick' seems to be working fine - the lights all flash red then go green one by one, then a steady green, except the vehicle light which continues to flash green
The green light under the VW charging flap SHOULD pulse very slowly when the car is accepting a charge.
Also, when the car has started charging you should briefly see the dash panel displaying the length of time until the car becomes fully charged. You can see this by looking through the drivers door window.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The green light under the VW charging flap SHOULD pulse very slowly when the car is accepting a charge.
Also, when the car has started charging you should briefly see the dash panel displaying the length of time until the car becomes fully charged. You can see this by looking through the drivers door window.
Nope this doesn’t happen for me :(
The dash shows a sign that indicates it’s plugged in, it just doesn’t accept any charge.. which seems pretty odd to me tbh

·
Registered
284 Posts
Is your Max charging set to 0% or really low by any chance - not sure if it is possible to set it that low, it’s usually at 80-100%.

Just to add I think there is a max charging limit but can’t be sure !, however I do have a screen shot of this which is the lower charge setting - is yours set like this.

B7CEB01A-FDD3-40E2-9C59-F894293FC8BB.jpeg

You get to the screen from vehicle settings.

BA080872-0175-458C-BC8A-1DF7D1EC0401.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,677 Posts
You can reset all the settings under ‘Car’ which I have found has sorted several odd problems.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, I've tried all of that to no avail.

Took it to VW this morning, they tried their own cable from the e-charging station pod thing and the same thing happened. So they've booked it in to look at it on Thursday :/

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is a long shot but my GTE is in at VW with a hybrid fault
and mine would not charge when just plugging in, however i found that if i plugged in then switched the ign on untill it started charging then switched off it would continue to charge.
This is by no means a fix but it might help in the short term.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah thanks Jonny for that temp fix

VW in Leicester couldn’t look at it until Thursday and Im going away at the weekend so I need the car.. they didn’t have any courtesys available until next month..
So I took it to VW in Loughborough instead who’s looking at it today - hopefully find out what the fault is later on then it’s a question of whether they need to order parts etc

Urgh not what I was expecting when buying, so much hassle :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know the feeling, 4 months old and less than 2k on the clock, been in the workshop 1 week and two days. Dealership have been honest and said they dont know. There tech has sent some info to VW technical who dont know how to diagnose/fix so have sent the info it to the factory.
Hope yours is a simple fix, they have given me a Passat diesel manual, not quite the same as the GTE i am paying for but better than a bus!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: Soo they rang later in the day saying it's not a simple fix and it's going to take a while.. I'm pretty sure it's going to end up being sent to the factory.
They said they'd call me back to sort out a courtesy car but i'm still waiting for that call!

I only bought the car on PCP 2 days ago.. it comes under warranty of course but i'm thinking is it worth me just giving the car back? It's starting to sound like more hassle than I can be bothered with tbh.

You think they'd check these things before selling the car..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know the feeling, 4 months old and less than 2k on the clock, been in the workshop 1 week and two days. Dealership have been honest and said they dont know. There tech has sent some info to VW technical who dont know how to diagnose/fix so have sent the info it to the factory.
Hope yours is a simple fix, they have given me a Passat diesel manual, not quite the same as the GTE i am paying for but better than a bus!
Oh wow. Have you asked for an update on how things are going? Did they give you an estimated time?/How long do you think it will take?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I should be getting an update tomorrow, fingers crossed it will be good news. I know cars go wrong but if the people who make it cannot diagnose it should they be selling it?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I only bought the car on PCP 2 days ago.. it comes under warranty of course but i'm thinking is it worth me just giving the car back? It's starting to sound like more hassle than I can be bothered with tbh.
It's broken. It was broken before they sold it to you, and they told pathetic ("forgot to switch the plug on") lies about it. Reject.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,677 Posts
Update: Soo they rang later in the day saying it's not a simple fix and it's going to take a while.. I'm pretty sure it's going to end up being sent to the factory.
They said they'd call me back to sort out a courtesy car but i'm still waiting for that call!

You think they'd check these things before selling the car..
I’m confused. Is this car new, Pre-registered, used or what?

New GTEs are on very short supply, so why was this car in stock?

It does begin to sound like they deliberately sold you a car they knew didn’t work.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts