Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I’m confused. Is this car new, Pre-registered, used or what?

New GTEs are on very short supply, so why was this car in stock?

It does begin to sound like they deliberately sold you a car they knew didn’t work.
It's a used GTE with 4.5k on the clock via Das Welt Auto from a VW authorised dealership, so with the 142 point check/warranty/included servicing etc I thought I was safe.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It's a used GTE with 4.5k on the clock via Das Welt Auto from a VW authorised dealership, so with the 142 point check/warranty/included servicing etc I thought I was safe.
A bit off topic but linked - I once bought a 3yr old X5 from a BMW dealer. 140+ authorised approved check blah blah.

Long story short, 4 days later I found out it had been in an electrical fire and the whole back of it looked as though it had been submerged (the BMW roadside tech's opinion) when he lifted carpets etc. This was from the foam used for dousing the fire.

I will NEVER trust approved checks. Ever. I really should have taken this further at the time but was glad to receive a full refund.

I would be rejecting this car to be honest and getting a refund. Definitely seems to have been sold under a bit of dishonesty.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Soo I just collected my GTE from VW because they couldn't tell me how long it was going to be and they couldn't give me a loan car either..

Listers (where I bought it from) is going to collect it from me and deliver it again (when fixed) and will give me a Golf SE NAV at the same time.. So I have the SE NAV as long as they have my GTE - so im assuming they'll want to fix it quick right?

Ah well at least I have a car in the meantime now..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Also.... one of the techs mentioned

they were charging a GTE overnight and they'd had a power cut - when the power came back on this caused a 'spike' in the car and caused a problem so it wouldn't charge anymore..

Anyone have any thoughts/experience on this?

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,729 Posts
Also.... one of the techs mentioned

they were charging a GTE overnight and they'd had a power cut - when the power came back on this caused a 'spike' in the car and caused a problem so it wouldn't charge anymore..

Anyone have any thoughts/experience on this?
It sounds unlikely to me.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Soo I just collected my GTE from VW because they couldn't tell me how long it was going to be and they couldn't give me a loan car either..

Listers (where I bought it from) is going to collect it from me and deliver it again (when fixed) and will give me a Golf SE NAV at the same time.. So I have the SE NAV as long as they have my GTE - so im assuming they'll want to fix it quick right?

Ah well at least I have a car in the meantime now..
Surprised you accepted this and haven't rejected it.

Its OK them having it and trying to fix it but to me they've sold you a car that wasn't working - and funny how the power cut spike wasn't mentioned initially. I'd be very unhappy with this all

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am no eletrical engineer, however it would seem very unlikely a power cut/surge would damage the car. There must be alot of safe guards in place ie fuses in the building and inside the charger aswell as the car its self.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Surprised you accepted this and haven't rejected it.

Its OK them having it and trying to fix it but to me they've sold you a car that wasn't working - and funny how the power cut spike wasn't mentioned initially. I'd be very unhappy with this all
I am unhappy with it. If I return the car I won't have anything and I need something asap - I don't want to go out and have to faff looking at and buying another car. I don't want to buy a cheap banger either.
Im happy they've at least offered me another car and collecting/delivering a car.

Don't worry once its all fixed i'll be nagging for some freebies too

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I am no eletrical engineer, however it would seem very unlikely a power cut/surge would damage the car. There must be alot of safe guards in place ie fuses in the building and inside the charger aswell as the car its self.
Ah ok, that makes sense to be honest. The battery does charge when you put it in the battery charge mode when driving too. Hmm i'll be really interested in what they find wrong with it..

·
Registered
442 Posts
I am unhappy with it. If I return the car I won't have anything and I need something asap - I don't want to go out and have to faff looking at and buying another car. I don't want to buy a cheap banger either.
Im happy they've at least offered me another car and collecting/delivering a car.

Don't worry once its all fixed i'll be nagging for some freebies too
Fair enough. Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So I got the car back today - all fixed!

They said it was a loose electrical plug on the connecter which they've refitted correctly and locked in position. Tested it myself at the VW charging point and it works.. Just got to try it at home now...

·
Registered
442 Posts
So I got the car back today - all fixed!

They said it was a loose electrical plug on the connecter which they've refitted correctly and locked in position. Tested it myself at the VW charging point and it works.. Just got to try it at home now...
That's great news. Fingers crossed at home, but nice one

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Great news !.
Glad to hear it was a simple fix, you would think that checking the charging system would be one of the items on the 142 point check by now !!!.
I bet it will be a "standard" check list for all VW ICE cars that does not consider hybrid or all electric cars.
Time to include a sub section in your 142 point check to include the above cars VW !!!.
Come on - how long does it take to plug in the "granny" to ensure the car is charging prior to delivery !.
You can't blame the tech's - they just check whats on the list.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks guys!

It works at home too yay!
Yeah you'd think there'd be a sub-checklist for PHEVs/EVs right?

5000 miles on the clock.. let's see how long I can go without any problems

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
aaaand it's happened again. Just tried to charge it now and the instead of flashing green it's flashing amber..
Was working fine all this time, not sure why it's playing up again.
Guess it's another call to VW in the morning :/

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,729 Posts
aaaand it's happened again. Just tried to charge it now and the instead of flashing green it's flashing amber..
Was working fine all this time, not sure why it's playing up again.
Guess it's another call to VW in the morning :/
Can we just check what equipment you are using to charge please?

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,729 Posts
Tried both the granny brick and the other power cable for a power point. Same problem.
Have you reset all the settings under ‘Car’ and setup again? I’ve seen this go wrong on my car, especially after a firmware/software update, which your car may have had just before it was sold to you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Weird. It's started working again.

I switched off the granny from the mains. Drove to work. On the way back from work I wanted to test if the battery charged in battery charge mode. I had 14 miles on the gom and it went up to 15 miles so I knew it was working and I switched back to driving in e-mode.
I then got home and thought I'd try the brick one more time so I switched it back on at the mains plugged it into the car.. and it worked!

Thoughts?

Did the granny just need to be switched off from the mains for a while u think? I usually just leave it constantly on even when it's not plugged into the car
Or did driving in battery charge mode kick-start/reset something in the car? I haven't used the petrol engine in a few months.

Hmm..

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,729 Posts
Weird. It's started working again.

I switched off the granny from the mains. Drove to work. On the way back from work I wanted to test if the battery charged in battery charge mode. I had 14 miles on the gom and it went up to 15 miles so I knew it was working and I switched back to driving in e-mode.
I then got home and thought I'd try the brick one more time so I switched it back on at the mains plugged it into the car.. and it worked!

Thoughts?

Did the granny just need to be switched off from the mains for a while u think? I usually just leave it constantly on even when it's not plugged into the car
Or did driving in battery charge mode kick-start/reset something in the car? I haven't used the petrol engine in a few months.

Hmm..
Turning the granny off probably did it. I’d definitely recommend turning it off every time. It does self tests on the connection when it starts up.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts