Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
During this difficult time, a lot of us will be leaving our EV parked up for several weeks.

To ensure the battery integrity it is advised to leave it charged somewhere around 40 to 60%.

Do not leave your battery at 100% SOC or below 30% SOC.

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did wonder about this. I’ve no idea what percentage I’m currently on!
Anywhere between 3 and 6 bars on the HV Battery Level indicator should be fine.

Also important to keep the 12V battery alive. I have put mine on a trickle charger that would normally be used on the motorbike.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I discharged my Ion to 78% last night using the heater as apart from a very short trip for groceries it's not going to be driven for at least 3 weeks. (We were both already working from home before the lockdown anyway so were already only doing grocery trips)

Once a week or so it will either get a short grocery trip or I'll switch it into READY mode (with the doors locked...) for an hour to top up the 12v battery, as it's an EV which does not top up the 12v battery automatically when off.

As long as your car is already between 40% and 80% just leave it where it is I'd say, but keep in mind maintenance of the 12v battery - every EV handles this differently. Some will top up the 12v battery when parked if it gets too low but some like mine won't.

PS this thread should probably be in general discussion as it's relevant to all EV's.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I need to travel to pick up the other low emissions love in my life. Came to see my girlfriend on Thursday and am now here for the foreseeable. Need my daily exercise outlet! No need to charge it, built from lightweight materials and has a range of about 110 miles per day when fully fuelled 😋

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
I need to travel to pick up the other low emissions love in my life. Came to see my girlfriend on Thursday and am now here for the foreseeable. Need my daily exercise outlet! No need to charge it, built from lightweight materials and has a range of about 110 miles per day when fully fuelled 😋 View attachment 129211
I thought velodromes were closed now? ;)

Nice bike! Mine looks a lot more comfy though, and it is electric. Will be my daily exercise for the foreseeable.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I need to travel to pick up the other low emissions love in my life. Came to see my girlfriend on Thursday and am now here for the foreseeable. Need my daily exercise outlet! No need to charge it, built from lightweight materials and has a range of about 110 miles per day when fully fuelled 😋 View attachment 129211
If you show me your boat I will show you mine.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,421 Posts
Mine should be up to 85% now, on the 4p/kWh Agile rates last night, my thoughts are to need a bit extra in case the power goes off too.

·
Registered
653 Posts
What about going out for the odd drive around without getting out of the car? Surely that can't be of any danger?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Batteries, in a bicycle! Heresy I say!

I have no boat but as a former matelot and Coastguard I do love things that float!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts

This is one of my other zero tailpipe emissions vehicles.

This is the other. Both getting quite old now!!!

Reactions: John Weatherley

·
Registered
143 Posts
What about going out for the odd drive around without getting out of the car? Surely that can't be of any danger?
It's difficult to see how it can be in a manner in any way consistent with COVID's published transmission mechanisms. Especially since EV users don't even have to visit petrol stations to refuel.

But then you run headlong into the difference between facts and rules. Especially London-centric rules where 'going out' overwhelming means taking to the streets.

Do you want to argue the toss with the Boys & Girls in Blue?

·
Registered
143 Posts
During this difficult time, a lot of us will be leaving our EV parked up for several weeks.

To ensure the battery integrity it is advised to leave it charged somewhere around 40 to 60%.

Do not leave your battery at 100% SOC or below 30% SOC.

Stay Safe.
Does anyone know what the actual facts are over this issue? Anyone approached MG or a dealer.

I was under the impression that the problem with storing at high charge levels manifested itself over months not weeks.

Unless you're a dyed-in-the-wool survivalist, or unfortunate enough to be in one of the ultra high risk categories, most of us are going to have to go out for food every week or so.

And, in the normal course of events, cars must be designed to be left at airports and on driveways when owners are on holiday.

Specific to the MG, my impression is that the 12v battery is topped up by putting the car in READY. It doesn't need to move. Possibly ON would work , but I haven't tried that. Does anyone know? It may be in the manual I suppose.

But again, surely the car shouldn't deplete the 12v battery in a few weeks? Airport car parks will be littered with broken down MGs... Assuming we ever get to fly again.

I appreciate John is understandably sensitive about the 12V battery. It just seems odd...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts