Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed this week twice now I have turned my leaf 30 on, tried to put into reverse or drive and it just beeps at me.
I have to turn the car off then on then it works.

Anyone else had this odd behaviour?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I have noticed this week twice now I have turned my leaf 30 on, tried to put into reverse or drive and it just beeps at me.
I have to turn the car off then on then it works.

Anyone else had this odd behaviour?
IIRC if you try to put it in drive too quickly after switch on it can sulk and do this.
Could it be this?

Reactions: JohnMars

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe! In both cases I had tried to get it into gear before it had finished its sound and light dashboard routine!
Thanks for that!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Maybe! In both cases I had tried to get it into gear before it had finished its sound and light dashboard routine!
Thanks for that!
It sounds like you're too quick.
Press brake pedal, wait 1 sec then press the start button. wait 2 sec and then release the pedal.
Try letting the poor thing finishing the start process before trying to get into gear.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL ok I’ll go a bit easier on poor Leonard Leaf! I’ll feel bad now!

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,913 Posts
It doesn't like to be rushed! I usually wait until Bluetooth is connected then it's had plenty of time to wake up and be ready.

·
Registered
267 Posts
First thing I did when we got our 2017 leaf was disable the start up jingle.
All I get now is a beep when its ready to go.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never knew you could disable out! But disabling it seems somehow wrong, like it’s got something to say and your stopping it! Lol!

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what the Nissan logo with the glimmer that spreads? I felt pride after seeing that yesterday!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Wait till you get the car symbol with the two arrows beneath it, that's your fancy ready light. You shouldn't have to turn it back off though, just waiting should suffice.

If the ready light doesn't appear until a restart, you may have a fault code stored that the LEAF doesn't like the look of. I used to get those all the time when I used the timer on the charge point. The LEAF doesn't like having it's charge interrupted and stores a bunch of error codes in protest which prevent the car starting till it's told you about them by forcing you to restart. I got around that by using the charge timer in the car instead.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,371 Posts
Wait till you get the car symbol with the two arrows beneath it, that's your fancy ready light.
It's so fancy, it flashes during start-up. So even if you glance at it and see it lit, you can't be sure if the car is ready or not. You'd have to stare at it intensely to make sure it's really lit, not flashing.

What would be better is for Nissan to put in a 2 colour LED, unlit means not ready, yellow means starting up, green means ready.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
the 2 colours are green and black :p
touché ;)

In that case, it should not be lit unless the car is really ready.

Flashing is plain stupid, doesn't tell the state of the car in a quick glance. It's only suitable for engineer debugging purposes. So many times I press start, glance down see the green car, and tried to shift into D/R.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Try doing this:

Open the door,
get in and sit down,
press the brake pedal
press the start button,
count to 2 and release the pedal
have a deep breath
put the phone on the holder or in the small place under the radio.
put the car into gear (D or R)

enjoy your drive ;)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Open the door.
Get in and sit down, feet on the brake pedal
While sitting down, the phone in my left hand lands on the gravity phone holder with wireless charger built in
Left hand continues down to Start button and presses it
While left feed releases the parking brake
Left hand continues to the gear selector ready to go, not even half-way through the start up jingle
Wait.....
wait....
Select gear, release brake and go

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Open the door,
get in and sit down,
press the brake pedal
press the start button,
count to 2 and release the pedal
have a deep breath
put the phone on the holder or in the small place under the radio.
put the car into gear (D or R)
For my 24kWh Leaf:
Open the door,
get in and sit down,
press the brake pedal,
press the start button,
(possibly release the brake pedal now),
put on seat belt,
(release brake pedal if not done before),
put car into gear (D or R)

If reversing out of overnight parking area to just move round to by the front door, because I do not put the seat belt on I can get a beep when trying to put it into R. If so, I just wait and try again (which always works). Also, when putting into D without putting on my seat belt (because I have to stop in 10 yards to shut the front gate), I can find that it will indicate it has gone into D, but no power is applied for a second or so - fortunately my drive is on the flat, otherwise there would be a roll back risk as (I presume) the parking pawl has been removed when it indicates it is in D.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Over the years I have developed an EV car entry that works for me to cover the start-up delay. It's to lead with my left foot through the open door to hit the brake pedal immediately before entering. I then reach to hit the start button immediately as I sit own. That buys quite a few seconds for it to go through its pre-flight checks and by the time I'm ready to find a gear it has sorted itself out.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Over the years I have developed an EV car entry that works for me to cover the start-up delay. It's to lead with my left foot through the open door to hit the brake pedal immediately before entering. I then reach to hit the start button immediately as I sit own. That buys quite a few seconds for it to go through its pre-flight checks and by the time I'm ready to find a gear it has sorted itself out.
That sounds like a 24hr Le Mans style :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts