Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my car for a year and have done some 13k km with it (8k miles). I am a relaxed driver and don't do fast accelerations or high speed motorway.

Even though the tyres are not worn, the front tyres have visibly a lot less profile on them than the rear tyres. I have not measured the depth, but I do not think I would see this much difference on any other car I had. My previous car was a Skoda Octavia and the front tyres on that one lasted me some 70k km. The way it's looking the Primacy 3 on my e-Niro will last maybe 25k or 30k km max. Does that sound reasonable? It's quite on the low end for me.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
EVs are heavy and produce a lot of torque from zero mph so the driven wheels' tyres will wear more quickly - it's normal.
The rear Dunlops on my Leaf are less than 1/2 worn after 11k miles but the Primacy 4's on the front are half worn after 5k miles. I'll be happy to get 10k miles.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The e-Niro is a heavy car and I imagine much heavier than the Skoda so I think the wear on any tyre is bound to be more. I don't think I would be disappointed with 30,000 km (presumably about 20,000 miles) on the front tyres. You can, of course, even the wear by following Kia's recommendation of swapping the tyres back to front every 6,000 miles (presumably 9,000 kilometres).

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
The e-Niro is a heavy car and I imagine much heavier than the Skoda so I think the wear on any tyre is bound to be more. I don't think I would be disappointed with 30,000 km (presumably about 20,000 miles) on the front tyres. You can, of course, even the wear by following Kia's recommendation of swapping the tyres back to front every 6,000 miles (presumably 9,000 kilometres).
I've never understood this rotating of tyres. I'd rather just replace the front pair twice as often as the rears and not all four at once.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've never understood this rotating of tyres. I'd rather just replace the front pair twice as often as the rears and not all four at once.
I think if you are expecting to sell the car after about 3 years you might make a considerable saving by swapping the tyres. My Leaf tyres were all still good after 3 years and about 24,000 miles as a result of rotating them. Perhaps if you are gong to keep the car for a long period it is not worthwhile? I wonder what others think?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think if you are expecting to sell the car after about 3 years you might make a considerable saving by swapping the tyres. My Leaf tyres were all still good after 3 years and about 24,000 miles as a result of rotating them. Perhaps if you are gong to keep the car for a long period it is not worthwhile? I wonder what others think?
That's interesting. Your Leaf has tyres that remain good after 24k miles whereas @farmergiles has his Primacy 4 on the front half worn at 5k. Maybe the Primacy have a softer compound that is perhaps quieter but more prone to wear?

About the weight and torque: yes, the e-Niro is about 50% heavier than the Skoda, but the tyres wear at more than the double rate. And I never get away fast at traffic lights so don't think I stress the tyres a lot. It's true that the roads in the area are rough and it's hilly. Dunno, maybe it's normal but it's not what I had expected.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
That's interesting. Your Leaf has tyres that remain good after 24k miles whereas @farmergiles has his Primacy 4 on the front half worn at 5k. Maybe the Primacy have a softer compound that is perhaps quieter but more prone to wear?

About the weight and torque: yes, the e-Niro is about 50% heavier than the Skoda, but the tyres wear at more than the double rate. And I never get away fast at traffic lights so don't think I stress the tyres a lot. It's true that the roads in the area are rough and it's hilly. Dunno, maybe it's normal but it's not what I had expected.
I give my front tyres a hard time quite often - hard acceleration and fast cornering so 15-18km is fine. (probably not get 20km from the fronts but might get 40km from the rears)

Getting 25-30km for your e-niro is good I'd say.

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
I've had my car for a year and have done some 13k km with it (8k miles). I am a relaxed driver and don't do fast accelerations or high speed motorway.

Even though the tyres are not worn, the front tyres have visibly a lot less profile on them than the rear tyres. I have not measured the depth, but I do not think I would see this much difference on any other car I had. My previous car was a Skoda Octavia and the front tyres on that one lasted me some 70k km. The way it's looking the Primacy 3 on my e-Niro will last maybe 25k or 30k km max. Does that sound reasonable? It's quite on the low end for me.
It's a powerful front wheel drive car. Almost all of the braking is through the front because of regen so yes they will wear faster.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,073 Posts
It's a powerful front wheel drive car. Almost all of the braking is through the front because of regen so yes they will wear faster.
Was just about to say something similar. You can’t compare a FWD EV with fossil car regarding tyre wear. Strong regen will have a huge negative effect on the fronts wear as compared to fossil cars.

I'm also not a believer in rotation, unless the rears start to get dangerously old from simply lasting too long. I expect to replace the fronts frequently. I expect my fronts to be done in 15-20k miles at very best. It was the same with previous Prius. They also hammer the fronts with regen, but EV has more regen still. I live amongst the hills so am always powering uphill or regenerating downhills. Front rubber doesn’t stand a chance. I think the Primacy tyres are quite good. Peter.

Reactions: freddym

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for answering. I'll just have to accept the fact I am going to be putting on new tyres every 2 years or so. Maybe I'll go for Contis, I think I've read they're even quieter than the Primacy 3

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
Worth taking a look at the tyre review website.

I think I'll be trying some Goodyear Efficient Grip 2s in a few months. (they don't make the E-Primacy in the Leaf's size)

Particularly anyone considering All Season tyres eg Cross Climates because these don't do too well against the other all season ones.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
This is incorrect - if you read ALL the tyre manufacturers websites. NEVER put new tyres on the front of a car - it's lethal!

Bring the worn tyres forward and put the new tyres on the back....

See here....

Never have more tread or a significantly better quality tyre on the front than the back.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Was just about to say something similar. You can’t compare a FWD EV with fossil car regarding tyre wear. Strong regen will have a huge negative effect on the fronts wear as compared to fossil cars.

I'm also not a believer in rotation, unless the rears start to get dangerously old from simply lasting too long. I expect to replace the fronts frequently. I expect my fronts to be done in 15-20k miles at very best. It was the same with previous Prius. They also hammer the fronts with regen, but EV has more regen still. I live amongst the hills so am always powering uphill or regenerating downhills. Front rubber doesn’t stand a chance. I think the Primacy tyres are quite good. Peter.
As above - make sure you always bring the old tyres forward and put the new on the rear - don't just replace the fronts - especially on FWD cars where this would mean the old tyres became really old on the rear and had even LESS grip.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
As above - make sure you always bring the old tyres forward and put the new on the rear - don't just replace the fronts - especially on FWD cars where this would mean the old tyres became really old on the rear and had even LESS grip.
I'm still here after 50years of driving!

Fronts wear out first so I change them.
I also usually fit a different brand to what are on the rear to alter the handling balance ie. understeer & torque steer reduction. (also slight adjustment to the tyre pressures)
The Leaf has Dunlop's wooden Enasavers on the rear, Michelin Primacy 4 on the front - a great combination with both of the above benefits.

You can choose to do what you are told by websites and You Tubers, but if it's not mentioned in the vehicle handbook*, then you can make your own decisions.

* if it was then ingoring it could have insurance consequences, otherwise it won't.
(I do change any tyre ( in pairs) when the tread depth reaches 2mm)

·
Registered
449 Posts
There's reasonably compelling advice to ensure there's not too much difference in grip between the axles but it's fairly obvious that FWD EV tyres will wear much quicker at the front and we are all going to be driving round for the majority of the time with the fronts more worn than the rears.

But I think it's fairly trivial to swap the rears for the fronts when you replace each pair. That way you'll minimise the difference in grip and tip it in favour of understeer for more of the time.

In practice, if your fronts are wearing 3x as fast as your rears then you could end up with 2/3 worn tyres on the rear when you get your second set of new tyres on the front. That's not ideal. If you swap axles each time then you'll still be putting no worse than 1/3 worn tyres on the fronts each time.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
And if every tyre manufacturer says putting new tyres on the front is actually dangerous, why in gods name would you decide that they all know nothing and decide to do it anyhow?

Is it really so hard to bring the old tyres to the front and put the new ones on the back..

And famergiles - do you know that right up until the day my close friend was killed because KwikFit put the new tyres on the front of the car not the back (coroners conclusion after a 2 day hearing including submissions from a couple of tyre manufacturers including Michelin), he had never been killed before either....

Yes - it kills people, just because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean it's a great idea to do it. It killed my friend, I would prefer to tell people not to do it, and maybe someone might not have a bad accident because of it.

Watch the video's above - it's pretty clear why you shouldn't do it.

Of course, you can refuse to listen to common sense, you know far better than all the tyre manufacturers.......

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
And if every tyre manufacturer says putting new tyres on the front is actually dangerous, why in gods name would you decide that they all know nothing and decide to do it anyhow?

Is it really so hard to bring the old tyres to the front and put the new ones on the back..

And famergiles - do you know that right up until the day my close friend was killed because KwikFit put the new tyres on the front of the car not the back (coroners conclusion after a 2 day hearing including submissions from a couple of tyre manufacturers including Michelin), he had never been killed before either....

Yes - it kills people, just because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean it's a great idea to do it. It killed my friend, I would prefer to tell people not to do it, and maybe someone might not have a bad accident because of it.

Watch the video's above - it's pretty clear why you shouldn't do it.

Of course, you can refuse to listen to common sense, you know far better than all the tyre manufacturers.......
This is getting repetitive.

There are many factors to consider, please don't lecture us!

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic on order
131 Posts
This is getting repetitive.

There are many factors to consider, please don't lecture us!
Tyre manufacturers give the advice they are the experts not us drivers however much interest we may take in the subject matter. Only scientific proveable facts matter not our opinions. Please remember it is not just your life you are putting at risk. I pay extra for the driving aids in my car. I consider myself a pretty good driver like we all do but if spending that extra money means it saves a childs life then it is money well spent. Just google and you will see too many very sad stories of young kids reversed over and killed by their parents or grandparents. Devastating for all. A lifetime working in insurance has taught me accidents happen all the time and no one ever expects them…..

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic on order
131 Posts
I have Primacy 4 on mine, I drive quite aggressive had my front 2 replaced at 15k miles was about 2.5mm left
My first EV is shod with those as it weighs 2555kg I was anticipating rapid tyre wear looks like I will need to budget for it being quicker than I thought though. Michelin make big claims of longevity of the Promacy 4 but for the reasons discussed above it does seem EV are a challlenge to the tyre manufacturers.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts