Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be of interest to some Zoe drivers in Chargemaster territory, especially those paying by time rather than by kWh:

Looking at Chargemaster's latest updates, it seems that some of the AC rapid chargers they've upgraded / updated lately are claiming to be limited to 25kW AC, when the Chademo and CCS outputs are 50kW capable.

Here's some of them:

NG8 6PY:The Belfry:21045
NG2 1AP:Queens Drive Park & Ride:21046
CV8 2LD:Chesford Grange:21047

Would these be their own-manufactured flagship "Ultracharger" models? The chargers they replaced could happily do 43kW AC.

They're also claiming that some of their 7kW posts can now do 8kW - though whether any vehicles will actually be able to draw 8kW rather than 7kW is a moot point.

I have a feeling that both of these power level discrepancies are probably down to data entry, rather than the chargers actually limited to strange maximum currents.

·
Banned
272 Posts
Well as I am an R240 Zoe owner my max is supposed to be 22kW but offen get 23.4kW at the Ecotricity. Also hate to sound padantic but do they round up to the nearest hour or what as this may be more important given most Ecars charge at max rate only to 80%. Also are there more chargers due to this namely can charge 2 cars at one point as again this is mine and many others bug bear with the Ecotricity single charge option .

·
Registered
569 Posts
One model of the Ultra Charger does only do ~25kW AC and 50kW DC. Its also a socket for the AC and tethered for DC. The other does 43/50.

·
Banned
272 Posts
Is this at the same time. My point being that Ecotricity points only offer an either / or solution so if in use you have zero KW are have to look for another. I understand your posting but am thinking that Ecotricity points are hardly a glowing example of the alternative and that does even take into account their reliability . Would one rather have a lower charging point that is more reliable or not ?

·
The best there is at what I do
10,720 Posts
I'm sure some Ecotricty CCS chargers are quicker than others, most of the ones I use seem to provide a max of 110A but I'm sure I've seen some at 125A

·
Banned
272 Posts
Great you might be able to charge up at 120kW but still zero in my book when it's only charging ONE at a time if your next CCS car turns up. Or is that your point you would rather not share since you own a Tesla ?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I think it's a mistake - if you look they also show a Chademo 'socket' rather than 'plug' as it used to. The chargers themselves haven't changed and they are generally full fat DBT triple-headers.

·
Banned
272 Posts
I got the email these chargers refer to . But given that they often supply dual 22kW in a single post for other specifications that is why I posed the question as to what options are available. Also chargemaster do state Renault Zoe compatible unlike Pod Point that fail this all the time at 7kW. So I state again I would rather options such as dual charging or something that actually works rather than a broken charger that has a 50kW capacity when it randomly works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts