Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was on the original firmware I only once had the power cable locked when the car was unlocked issue. Never had it again. I upgraded to 2.0 a coupe of weeks ago.

This morning I had an odd issue where I unlocked the car and the power cable release from the car just fine but it would not unlock from my pod point? I plugged it back in to the car, locked the car to re-lock the cable then unlocked the car again. If I unplugged the pod point before the car I could release the cable from both fine. Anyone else had this issue? Not sure if it’s an id3 bug or a pod point bug. Does the pod point need to receive something from the car or is it not that clever?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
The Podpoint knows when the cable's plugged in at EVSE end, as there's a resistance across 2 of the wires that tells it the current capability of the cable. Infinite resistance = no cable plugged in at all.

Next, Podpoint knows if the cable is plugged into the car or not, regardless of whether the car's on or not. Cp line is set to 12V by the Podpoint, plug the cable in at the car's end and this drops to 9V, and when the car wakes up & requests a charge this drops to 6V. That's all the signalling there is. So if the cable's out of the car, at either end, in any order, I can't see any reason whatsoever for the podpoint to be hanging onto it.

Maybe needs a squirt of WD-40 or Switch Cleaner where the solenoid/motor is?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I guess see if the problem persists, and if you can find a pattern to it. Sometimes the plugs can be a tight fit in the sockets, maybe the drawbar of the solenoid is getting stuck thx to friction, and it needs a wiggle to free it? Do you know if your lock is a spring-loaded solenoid, or is there a motor winding it in & out? Maybe yo can listen carefullt to see f you can hear the motor/solenoid trying but failing to unlock? That might give someone here a clue, but I don't have Podpoint so can't really suggest anything more. Other than get the supplier in to service/check it. but they may have as little clue as I have!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've had my PodPoint for about 18 months & have had this happen a few times, though to be honest we leave a cable plugged into it 95% of the time so it may happen more often. I've found the easiest way to force it to let go is to flip the breaker switch at the fuse box off, wait a few seconds then back on again... The old reboot works a charm.

PodPoint support have always been very good on the phone. I called them when I had some issues with charging my ID.3 when I first collected it & they updated the firmware without making a fuss. Turned out the issue was the car not the charger, but PodPoint were very happy to talk through troubleshooting etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.