Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the first day with an EV started well, travelling back the 70 miles with ease, arriving with 24% charge (17 miles GOM). So decided I'd best charge before picking up my daughter, luckily there's a Polar 50kW around the corner, pulled up, selected member, swiped card, tapped Chademo, connected... error.. "Unable to start charge please disconnect"... retried a few times, same, so decide to call them. Got through, they checked and said the unit appeared to be ok and tried to remotely start the unit with the same result... It doesn't matter I said as there's another about half a mile away. Arrive at the next charger and try to select 'Member...' the screen isn't responding... units working just the touch screen is unresponsive... well you can imagine the thoughts going through my head at this point.. 'What have I done!!' so called them again, the guy rebooted the unit, took a few minutes, and luckily it worked, was finally able to connect and charge for about 10 mins... phew....!! So not the ideal welcome to the world of EV charging but got there eventually!

I also decided to check out the other Polar near my house so I could make sure that one was working for future use, that unit worked first time but I'm just curious about the amount of energy reported as being delivered, is this accurate? when I arrived I was on 40% SOC the unit stopped at 83% and said it had delivered 9.9kWh..

9.9 / 43 x 100 = 23kWh

Am I missing something or does it seem like there's lost capacity in the battery?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,892 Posts
There's charging losses as well. Also if it's cold then the battery capacity is slightly less anyway.

There will be some losses but I wouldn't think it would be much. If you have a kia dealer handy they might do you a battery check. There's also some app as well now that does let you check it yourself like Leaf Spy does for the Leaf.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's charging losses as well. Also if it's cold then the battery capacity is slightly less anyway.

There will be some losses but I wouldn't think it would be much. If you have a kia dealer handy they might do you a battery check. There's also some app as well now that does let you check it yourself like Leaf Spy does for the Leaf.
Yeah, I was going to get a dongle, I have one that I used to test a couple of Leafs nut it doesn't seem to work with SoulSpy.. I'm hoping some of it at least is down to losses and it was pretty cold. The range the car is showing and is capable of yesterday indicated the range is around what I was expecting anyway, 80-90 miles in this weather..

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,892 Posts
For a mk1 Soul EV that sounds about right. It is better if you pre heat it with it plugged in. The cold weather doesn't knacker it quite as much then. Mine was similar when it was brand new so I don't think much capacity has gone.

Also check tyre pressures are correct as if they're on the soft side the efficiency is a bit worse.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For a mk1 Soul EV that sounds about right. It is better if you pre heat it with it plugged in. The cold weather doesn't knacker it quite as much then. Mine was similar when it was brand new so I don't think much capacity has gone.

Also check tyre pressures are correct as if they're on the soft side the efficiency is a bit worse.
Funny you should say that as the tyre pressure warning came in last night, I checked this morning and the front two were at 28psi and the rears at 31psi so I've put them upto 34psi? It says to have them at 33 normally or 35 if loaded?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,892 Posts
Try them at 33-36 and find what works best. Some cars suit higher and some suit the lower ends. I think I had mine at 34. I generally find the upper end is slightly better with most EVs.

·
Registered
Nissan E-NV200 Tekna Panel Van, 24kWh Battery, Kia Soul EV 27 kWh, BMW i3 94ah REX
113 Posts
About the Rapid Chargers: On your first attempt to rapid charge did you leave the car 'on'? It only rapid charges when it's totally 'off' but once it's started charging you can switch it back on.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About the Rapid Chargers: On your first attempt to rapid charge did you leave the car 'on'? It only rapid charges when it's totally 'off' but once it's started charging you can switch it back on.
Yeah I made sure it was off... Must have been an issue with the charger as the other one worked fine once it has been reset 😂

On another note I drove a mile home last night after charging at Tesco... With the charging port open 😂 I'll remember to check next time!

·
Registered
60 Posts

Do you mean, set the cabin to pre-heat when you first start the charge (because that will also engage the battery heater)? If so, that's an interesting thought. Would you do that even if you plug in as soon as arriving at your destination, with the battery presumably already warm?

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
230 Posts
I understand the cars sold in Canada have the battery heater, but I'm not sure the UK cars do. How would one know?

If they don't, I would not expect the cabin pre-heating to help, as the battery cooling fan would only circulate pre-heated air from the cabin after the battery had heated up.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,892 Posts
Do you mean, set the cabin to pre-heat when you first start the charge (because that will also engage the battery heater)? If so, that's an interesting thought. Would you do that even if you plug in as soon as arriving at your destination, with the battery presumably already warm?
I don't think it has a battery heater. It heats the cabin but cabin air is drawn across the battery so it would have some effect. I think the heater on full pelt will draw 4kw at least which is quite a lot of power. The departure timer would set it to come on at the end of a charge. It's all in the manual. It recommends pre heating in colder weather from what I remember.

If there was destination charging then I probably would have left it plugged in and set the timer for when I thought I'd be back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts