Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,019 Posts
People give rapid chargers a hard time IMHO, at the moment sure there are a few chargers that dont seem to be that reliable however its not always down to the chargers and the back end systems and can be down to how they have been installed and the conditions, a lot of the earth faults in particular are environmental.

Its easy to say well keep it simple and reliable and use commando sockets, sure thats OK but lets not forget this is a maximum of 7KW, there is a vast difference between pumping 7KW and 50KW in to a car the latter requiring much more in terms of complexity.

I am all for having lots of backup destination charging thats totally fine but until the battery tech gets cheaper and the capacity goes up the RC network provides a stop gap solution to pure electric vehicles providing rapid charging, even if I had a new Leaf with a 7KW charger I havent got 3 hours to wait for it to charge when I am on a long journey, the RC network we have is pretty good considering its also free, there is always the option of a REX if you want a safety net now.

I am sure that in the future all forms of charging away from your house will largely not be required as the cars batteries will have sufficient energy density (Graphine battery tech looks exciting) but for now we arent in that position, what we have is a major improvement on burning fossil fuel thats for sure and at the moment its free, thats pretty hard to argue with, I can travel to my brothers house in west wales from Banbury and back for nothing, thats a round trip of 400 miles that would have cost me £80, with the best determination at 7KW I would not make the journey, not forgetting many of the low level charging destinations require either paying or use of the facilities to gain access the charger not to mention that my Leaf can only charge at 3kW at them anyway.

· Registered
2,019 Posts
Yes agree with you on that point Kevin, 3 phase charging is useful and usable and should in theory be much more reliable too, out of interest how many of the ZCW posts are 22kW? I havent needed to level 2 charge yet, my usage being quite different to many though, if I could charge at 22kW with a normal cable that would be super nice.

Its still early days for all this stuff whichever way we get our juice its so much more preferable to burning fossil fuel however if you are going to burn it my preference would be in a BMW I3 REX.

1 - 2 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.