Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving in town at 30mph and suddenly the car went to do an emergency stop, but just before the car came to a complete stop, it changed its mind and released the brakes. Thankfully there wasn't a car directly behind me. I couldn't see anything that would have set it off. It was daylight and I had nothing close in front of me and no pedestrians that I was aware of at the time.

I wonder if this has happened to anybody else?

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a recall message on the You-Nissan website for Intelligent Emergency Braking and I am wondering if this is connected. I wouldn't want this to happen if I were driving at 70mph on a busy motorway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, happened to me on Saturday night. I was traveling in the right hand lane on a one way street and was merging into the left lane to avoid a parked vehicle in my lane. The car slammed the brakes on and the car behind had to brake sharply to avoid me. I've had numerous similar experiences where lanes merge before a traffic island where a pedestrian is waiting; the car seems to 'think' that you are going to keep going into them rather than follow your actual trajectory. It's incredibly dangerous because merging lanes safely is highly dependent on timing by maintaining a consistent speed.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
I've had this happen a few times on my Kona both when using smart cruise control and when not. I'm hoping this slightly erratic behaviour is a price worth paying for when the car intervenes in a real risky situation!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes, I mentioned this in another thread. It has happened three times to me when I am travelling in the inside lane approaching a roundabout and the outside lane brakes but my lane keeps going. It seems to brake hard for a short time and release the brake and the red triangle comes up with a bleep. In the other thread I did raise the mostly theoretical question around whether you, the driver, were in control of the car and if it could be construed as careless driving.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've posted on this before and seen others post too. In my opinion the system is too sensitive in certain situations - particularly either:

1) Approaching a side road to the left with limited clearance and a vehicle there is slowly edging forward. The Leaf then slams on the brakes briefly then keeps going. There is nothing dangerous about the situation, but the Leaf seems to assume the car approaching will continue edging foward and hit you. There are a couple of local places I have had this happen a number of times and I deliberately adapt my driving now to avoid it! This is worse when the road bends slightly to the right which the Leaf doesn't account for.

2) Passing traffic with narrow gaps at more than an extremely slow speed, for example when a lane splits into two at the approach to a roundabout and one lane is at a standstill - if I move past the stationary cars at say 10-20mph passing quite close but as a normal confident driver would (as the lane starts to split) the Leaf will sometimes slam on brakes even though my trajactory would never cause me to hit the car. So this is different to case (1) above where the other car is moving.

I do think it's dangerous and OTT, and I wouldn't be surprised if actual accidents have been caused by this somewhere in the UK. It's probably my biggest gripe about the Leaf.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Does the Leaf have an adjustment for how quickly it intervenes in these situations? The Niro/Kona does and I have mine set on the least sensitive as I found out interfered too much.
On the minimum setting I've hardly had it intervening at all. It does occasionally beep at me and flash the red warning to say I'm going to crash but it rarely emergency brakes for me any more.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have driven in all the posted scenarios and never experienced the red screen of death, in fact only had it twice in 18 months, that was in e pedal, using regen to stop me and cutting it a bit fine in stopping to the rear of the car in front, in slowing traffic.

I am wondering if those affected, require the camera to be recalibrated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts