Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I enjoy driving our little Fiat 500e over in California and feel one of these would make a perfect runabout when we are over in the UK. Most of the non EV parts are standard Fiat 500 so in theory it shouldn't be too expensive to maintain standard wear items, tyres, brakes, wipers etc. Some inexpensive reliable Fiat 500e 2013 models here in California can be found for less than $5000. Looking at the cost to ship from the US to the UK should be less than $1000 according to : How Much Does Shipping a Car Overseas Cost? - CostHelper

Once this pandemic has declined, I'm sorely tempted to buy another 500e then pack up our current 500e for the UK but not sure about the current UK car inspection requirements. Looking at the VAT impact it should be zero as it has been owned by us outside the EU (if that even matters anymore) for almost two years. Essentially everything except the drive train and some of the trim is standard Fiat 500 especially safety elements so I would think there would be no additional inspection items required?

Here's an example of a 2016 500e for $5991 https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/828502330/overview/

Any thoughts - or am I totally crazy?

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
The 500e is going on sale imminently in the UK (the new version). Not sure what colour/location brake lights and indicators the US 500e has, or what fog lights/reflectors it has. The modifications to make it compliant could be costly. I can't recall if the 500e has rapid charging, but if it's CCS Type 1 you will not be able to rapid charge anywhere (we use CCS Type 2). Also while the Type 1 inlet will accept 230v, will it be happy at 50hz rather than 60? I'd hope so but not sure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts