Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think that everyone agrees. It is much easier with the Tesla supercharger network but still limiting as to where you can go and it takes extra time.

I was doing regular long journeys, I wouldn't have an electric car, the info structure isn't there yet. I'd buy a relatively new turbo diesel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think that everyone agrees. It is much easier with the Tesla supercharger network but still limiting as to where you can go and it takes extra time.

I was doing regular long journeys, I wouldn't have an electric car, the info structure isn't there yet. I'd buy a relatively new turbo diesel.
Nah, Zoe and M3LR. With Zoe on long trips we use Instavolt, no issues, minor delay vs Fossil but at my age its effectively no real hassle. By sticking to a good network you can avoid the issues described. Tesla removes the limitation completely, eats up Motorway travel . I came from Audi S4 Avant and unless you are determined to drive for over 300miles without stopping there is no disadvantage anymore.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,837 Posts
The author's response to payment problems and the app requirement is bang on. Like most here I embrace tech and am very confident using it, if you're not you can forget using quite a few charging networks. Anything other than contactless payment doesn't really make sense to me. I can accept RFID cards from an aggregator such as Octopus Juice, but these only make sense once they work everywhere.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Nah, Zoe and M3LR. With Zoe on long trips we use Instavolt, no issues, minor delay vs Fossil but at my age its effectively no real hassle. By sticking to a good network you can avoid the issues described. Tesla removes the limitation completely, eats up Motorway travel . I came from Audi S4 Avant and unless you are determined to drive for over 300miles without stopping there is no disadvantage anymore.
This is misleading, it's not the same. I've had a 40kw Leaf for 2 and a half years and a M3P for 2 years, we are pure electric now and have been for about 8 months.

For road trips, it's more planning, it's more time, it's more waiting around, even with the supercharger network. If you're using the public charging network, you need to download different apps and you'll usually be charging at a slower speed.

An ICE gives you more flexibility, you can stop where ever you want, when you want and for how long you want. In my Tesla we have to plan our route and where and when we stop around the charging points.

Until there are loads of reliable fast chargers at every service station, an ICE will continue to be quicker and more convenient.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is misleading, it's not the same. I've had a 40kw Leaf for 2 and a half years and a M3P for 2 years, we are pure electric now and have been for about 8 months.

For road trips, it's more planning, it's more time, it's more waiting around, even with the supercharger network. If you're using the public charging network, you need to download different apps and you'll usually be charging at a slower speed.

An ICE gives you more flexibility, you can stop where ever you want, when you want and for how long you want. In my Tesla we have to plan our route and where and when we stop around the charging points.

Until there are loads of reliable fast chargers at every service station, an ICE will continue to be quicker and more convenient.
Fair play Rob, its an individual thing. Outside Supercharger network I stick to Instavolt and Osprey as a backup as they are super easy to use and I know where they are on the routes I travel so its no overhead for me vs ICE.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
909 Posts
There are two different issues here. The article is from someone with little familiarity of EVs who expects to jump into one and find chargers and use them with no experience, familiarity or planning. That is certainly a very bad idea, but makes for TV programmes and media articles showing that EVs are terrible because you can't, for example, throw a couple into a Mini EV, with quite short range, and ask them to drive to London with no preparation.

The second is whether or not an EV owner, with some experience and a bit of planning, can easily make long journeys. We run Model 3 Long Range and a ZOE ZE50. We find that long journeys are easy in both in the UK. The Model 3 takes no more time than our ICE cars did for long journeys. The ZOE is a little slower if we go further than 180miles a day - so it's our 'local' car for most of England. We have travelled in France with no problems, with lots of provision for 22kW charging for the ZOE.

The other factor however is that there is electricity wherever we go. It's rare that we can't use a destination charge point or granny charger to charge overnight if we have rented a property or chosen a hotel to let us access a charge point. But we do go to areas in the UK where it has been quite a distance to a petrol station to fill up an ICE. If we were heading to the North West coast of Scotland we would always top the tank before leaving, say, Inverness, and plan for refuelling during a 2 week tour. Just the same for an EV, but petrol stations are closing ...

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic on order
248 Posts
One of the reasons I am lurking in this and other EV forums is to prepare myself for the change. As a Mercedes customer I will be using their unified payment system BUT as of yet I have not found any real world feedback on whether it actually works🤔 it does seem ridiculous that contactless payment is not the norm and is no doubt related to the simple fact our data even minimal like name and address and fact you are using an electric car has resale value. I have noticed that here in France the local authority chargers do accept contactless at least in my region but I have not investigated the bigger players like Ionity (partners with Mercedes) or Total who are coming on stream. We do seem to have slightly less of the Wild West approach to provision but that is because we are a quite highly regulated society which I personally am happy with. The EQC navigation seems a little more advanced too as it is integrated with the payment system and will show chargers and plot the route if you select one and prepare the battery if needed to accept the charge. However again how that works in real life I am yet to find out, marketing puff is one thing…..as a mercedes owner since 2008 I have faith it will work but experience with Mercedes me (the connected Mercedes car app) indicates I can expect a hiccup on occasions although Mercedes me is much more stable these days. The french forums indicate there have been problems with non working chargers with one company whose name I have forgotten but generally things seem to be picking up well. Finally the one message I have taken away from all my research is if the car is stationary charge it. So on a long journey at every loo break hook it up and put some power back. Day to day use is different for me as the car has more than enough range for a weeks driving even in winter conditions and I have a 7.2kw home charger installed. Of all the trips it is the intermediate ones (daytrip journeys) that will need the most planning as most will rely on using the slower local authority chargers many of which are now 22kw but the car will only be able to accept 11kw from them. Many french use A better route planner and that indicates on some routes a motorway section just to take advantage of the fast chargers, but I anticipate whereas I would not normally stop I will be doing so for 15mins or so. We shall see if my expectations are met but I am very grateful to all the posters on forums such as this as the knowledge shared has been invaluable to me.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Frankly I enjoy driving my M3 LR So much I would put up with 10x the inconvenience, which is only small anyway. Even if a diesel had half the running costs, I wouldn’t be tempted back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts