Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PCP is coming to an end soon for my 30kwh black edition leaf. We often have family holidays to Cornwall and Scotland which is ~380miles. We are looking at getting the #Leaf40 but we are worried about the #rapidgate issues with the car. Has any attempted a similar distance in the car and be able to share your experiences with #rapidgate?

When we drove down in my Leaf30, we had to rapid charge 5 times and the car handled it perfectly!

Thanks in advance

Dan

·
Registered
767 Posts
I disagree with Chelseaboy's blanket reassurance.

It's about the battery temperature, so it depends partly on what the outside temp is during your trip, and then it's about the added heat generated by driving and rapid charging. If the battery temp gets up beyond about 40°C, the car takes steps to protect the battery - that means throttling back rapid charging, and limiting your power and regen.

Try to start your trip with the battery cool. So ideally charge the battery up the night before, and stop charging some time before driving so it has chance to cool again. Slower charging like a home charger is better for this than a rapid.

Harder driving heats up your battery more, so if you drive a bit slower you reduce that battery heat buildup.

When you begin to rapid charge, the car decides its maximum rate of charge, based on battery temp, for that charging session. So avoid stopping the charge and restarting, as the battery may have got warming during the charge and you may then get a lower rate of charging when you restart.

It's pointless doing things like having a five minute wait before starting rapid charging, in my opinion, as that battery doesn't have any active cooling system so you're realistically waiting overnight for the temp to drop significantly. Minimising the heat buildup in the first place is the best approach.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shouldn't be a problem although I've not done along one yet.

See the below link for someone who has.
How can you be so sure without doing a long trip yet?

I disagree with Chelseaboy's blanket reassurance.

It's about the battery temperature, so it depends partly on what the outside temp is during your trip, and then it's about the added heat generated by driving and rapid charging. If the battery temp gets up beyond about 40°C, the car takes steps to protect the battery - that means throttling back rapid charging, and limiting your power and regen.

Try to start your trip with the battery cool. So ideally charge the battery up the night before, and stop charging some time before driving so it has chance to cool again. Slower charging like a home charger is better for this than a rapid.

Harder driving heats up your battery more, so if you drive a bit slower you reduce that battery heat buildup.

When you begin to rapid charge, the car decides its maximum rate of charge, based on battery temp, for that charging session. So avoid stopping the charge and restarting, as the battery may have got warming during the charge and you may then get a lower rate of charging when you restart.

It's pointless doing things like having a five minute wait before starting rapid charging, in my opinion, as that battery doesn't have any active cooling system so you're realistically waiting overnight for the temp to drop significantly. Minimising the heat buildup in the first place is the best approach.
Thanks for your advice, it just seems stupid to me that we have to take all these precautions to drive a car. Ridiculous! I might hold out for the Leaf50/60kwh version and be comfortable with it. I love the leaf but having do consider all this for the Leaf40 just seems like it shouldn't be the case with me.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I might hold out for the Leaf50/60kwh version and be comfortable with it. I love the leaf but having do consider all this for the Leaf40 just seems like it shouldn't be the case with me.
If you believe everything you read in these pages, a new 40kWh Leaf order today probably wouldn't be fulfilled till after Xmas anyway so "holding out" for next year's model (no doubt to be launched after building up stocks for quick delivery) becomes an easy option (though possibly a dearer one).

I've done several trips from Chesterfield to Portsmouth (just over 200 miles) with a rapid charge in Oxford and another one at Waterlooville leaving me good to do another 150+. I probably wouldn't want to drive much more than that without overnighting somewhere.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I have done a few trips of 200-270 miles. As long as you keep the speed down, and don’t let the charge go too low (below 20%) or charge up too high (over 80%) on a rapid it should be doable.

We shouldn’t need to do this on a car that is obviously designed for long distances else Nissan wouldn’t have put in ProPilot.

Driving at 60 will stabilise the battery temperature. On my last longer trip, the battery temperature reached 49.9C after rapid charging, but when I reached my destination the temperature had dropped to 46.1C.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Too much crap posted about this. If you want >70mph then choose an ICE! We've gone for BEV (as pioneers) in the early days and we accept some of their limitations. Let's not fall into the naysayer category - we got a task convincing the general public to wean off fossil fuels ! Moutains out of molehills (about #rapidgate) comes to mind!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Too much crap posted about this. If you want >70mph then choose an ICE!

That's exactly what I have now done although it's more that I want to be able to reach and maintain the motorway speed limit rather than exceed it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just spoke to my dealership, state a new order today will be delivered around January/February time frame, so may as well just wait for the new model to be announced with that time frame!

Too much crap posted about this. If you want >70mph then choose an ICE! We've gone for BEV (as pioneers) in the early days and we accept some of their limitations. Let's not fall into the naysayer category - we got a task convincing the general public to wean off fossil fuels ! Moutains out of molehills (about #rapidgate) comes to mind!
I don't think so, I have a Leaf30 model and love it, I can rapid charge 5/6 times in a single day doing pure motorway driving at 70mph and still be okay with no issues at all. #rapidgate exists due to this, they could do it with a 30kwh battery but due to outsourcing the 40kwh battery they had to put limitations in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts