Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
So do you need to stay in your car for the next 6 months?

·
Well-Loved Member
1,014 Posts
U.S. Department of Energy defines HEPA as (source) ...
"a minimum efficiency of 99.97% when tested with an aerosol of 0.3 micrometer diameter."

Bosch state their off-the-shelf HEPA cabin filter products (source) ...
"provide filtration efficiency of 99.97% at 0.3 microns"

Tesla originally stated that Bioweapon Defense Mode ...
"removes at least 99.97% of fine particulate matter and gaseous pollutants, as well as bacteria, viruses, pollen, and mold spores."

Current Model S and Model X specifications state:
"Hospital-grade air quality is delivered through a HEPA filtration system to prevent viruses and bacteria from entering the cabin."

Anyone want to take a wild guess as to what Bioweapon Defense Mode was?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Anyone want to take a wild guess as to what Bioweapon Defense Mode was?
Note the "at least 99.97%" in the definition of HEPA. So, as you imply, I'm sure the S/X filter meets that spec.
It might exceed the minimum spec.

So, maybe it's "just" a HEPA filter. Or maybe it's a particularly high-spec HEPA filter. Who knows?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Note the "at least 99.97%" in the definition of HEPA. So, as you imply, I'm sure the S/X filter meets that spec.

So, maybe it's "just" a HEPA filter. Or maybe it's a particularly high-spec HEPA filter. Who knows?
I believe the mode also involved over-pressuring the cabin so that all the cabin air could be guaranteed to have been filtered.

·
Well-Loved Member
1,014 Posts
If it exceeded the minimum HEPA specification then they'd have said it exceeded minimum HEPA specification. Wouldn't they.

Hint: it doesn't exceed the minimum HEPA specification.

It's a HEPA filter sourced from a company that makes HEPA filters. Because, strange as it may seem, Tesla doesn't make HEPA filters.

I believe the mode also involved over-pressuring the cabin so that all the cabin air could be guaranteed to have been filtered.
Create positive cabin pressure by running the blower? You mean like, every other car.

You've also not explained why this feature is no longer presented as "Bioweapon Defense Mode" and has become a far more ordinary sounding "filtration system". Could it be that "Bioweapon Defense Mode" falls into the same category of mug-exploiting twaddle as "lowest probability of injury" which caused Tesla to be on the receiving end of an NHTSA cease 'n desist?

·
Registered
2,873 Posts

It's just a normal car HEPA filter and a button that turns the fans on to max. People put their own HEPA filters in and manually turn the fans up to avoid having to buy the option at Tesla prices.

You can do it in any car with a HEPA filter!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts