Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Order has just gone in for our new ID.3!

I am a petrolhead through and through. I have a few ICE cars that I use for various applications (from commuting to track work), and to be completely honest, I didn’t think an EV was for me.

But just under 2 years ago, my wife and I test drove an egolf and it just clicked. We’ve really enjoyed driving it around for what appears to be for free (kind of).

I work for a large multinational company that offer free onsite parking, coupled with the fact that the egolf hasn’t cost us a penny more than it’s £279 monthly payment… It made going EV again for the wife’s next car an easy decision.

What wasn’t so easy, was choosing the right one for us. The more time I spend speaking to dealerships, the more I dislike them. They promise the world and VERY rarely deliver on it. I have several friends who work in the industry, and even they confess to working with some utter clowns.

Anyway, after much consideration (and we’ll over 8000 car wow lease quotes) we have settled on leasing an ID.3 pro performance 58kwh family in moonstone grey with 18” East Derry wheels.

We went for the family spec as it offers a nice upgrade over the life variant with its pan roof and reverse camera, as well as upgraded upholstery which was a key point for us.

Presumed delivery date will be mid March 2022, but we are fairly flexible. And as much as my heart wants to hate EVs for “killing the joy of motoring”, I think we are going to really enjoy it when it shows it’s pretty little flat face.

Thanks all, Ross

·
Registered
ID.4 First Edition
107 Posts
“killing the joy of motoring”
It seems to me that anybody spouting that kind of line simply hasn't driven an EV before. Really the only things they're "missing" compared to ICE cars is manual gear shifting and the noise, both of which are subjective, and neither of which I miss anywhere near as much as I thought I would. In fact I think the whine of an EV under full acceleration sounds awesome.

Anyway, mini rant over, congrats on your order. Hope you guys enjoy it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to me that anybody spouting that kind of line simply hasn't driven an EV before. Really the only things they're "missing" compared to ICE cars is manual gear shifting and the noise, both of which are subjective, and neither of which I miss anywhere near as much as I thought I would. In fact I think the whine of an EV under full acceleration sounds awesome.

Anyway, mini rant over, congrats on your order. Hope you guys enjoy it!
I hear what you are saying.

We have driven several EVs and found most of them pretty soulless. Massively practice, with real benefits, but they just lacked any character. Be it the numb handling or the lack of feedback you get in general. This could just be the vehicles we tried, but both my wife and I felt the same.

Having said that, I think this is the way new cars are going, whatever their means of propulsion is.The manufacturers are just listening to what the masses want. Comfort, ease of driving and less NVH in general.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts