Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having initially looked at Leaf 24kw I'm now erring towards a 30kw.

Im thinking that with sympathetic 20 / 80 charging that gives a typical range of 70ish miles on a charge with the potential to do just over 100 on a good day if necessary from a 100% charge. This is still a second car so no issues needing something for journeys longer than this.

The only thing I have now noted reading on the forums is the accelerated battery degradation issue which Nissan ultimately released a software update for. Id be grateful for some opinion on this from 30kw owners before potentially diving in....

• What are the original software version numbers (i have leaf spy so can check before purchasing)
  • What are the updated software version numbers.
  • Are there owners who haven't had the upgrade and haven't had any excessive degradation issues
  • Are owners who did have issues but have now had the upgrade generally happy with what they are now achieving
I guess in a nutshell is there anyone out there with direct experience who wishes they had avoided a 30.

Im currently looking at a 2016 with around 10k on it

Thanks again for growing my leaf brain.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, I believe that the BMS upgrade was to correct a failure to accurately measure the state of charge of the battery, thus giving a lower than expected range and SOH.
I had my Leaf30 upgraded and the SOH increased by about 4%. I think that there's a post on this site that shows that this is typically what happens.
My 2017 enjoys 98% SOH and did in excess of 110 mile range in October/November and is now about 85-95 miles in Jan/Feb.
I expect more than 120 come summer (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Range will depend entirely how you use the car, in this weather i get about 60miles from 100% to 0%. My commute is almost all motorway, and i drive at the speed limit with the heater on at sensible levels.

You'll only get 110miles if you drive it around like a gran and barely exceed 40mph.

As for the BMS, the last two digits of the battery firmware can either be 4A, 4C, or 6A. 4A is the faulty firmware, which was replaced with 4C. 6A firmware worked fine from the start. My 2017 car has a 6A firmware.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Mileage seems a bit on the low side. For a 2016 I'd expect much closer to 30k miles.
It's probably not worth it to seek out a "low mileage" Leaf (or most EVs for that matter), especially if the seller is seeking a premium because of the low mileage. The battery generally seems to age best with frequent (near enough daily) moderate usage, rather than sitting at high or low states of charge for extended periods - which is more likely with a low mileage example. At least with the Leaf 24 there is an option to limit charge to 80% (Long Life Mode), but I understand they didn't bother including that on the Leaf 30 (possibly due to odd regulatory quirks in California?).

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
How much? As above, don't pay a premium for an unusually low mileage as if the battery has been left at a high SOC it may be worse than one used more regularly and appropriately.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
13k minus £400 dealer deposit for finance which I will clear off after a month or so

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From a Nissan main dealer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will leaf spy before doing the deal but deposit paid for now

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
That's an awful lot more than than the one on the forum here but is obviously much lower mileage, with a dealer, without body damage and potentially a higher spec. It is all about what's important to you.
Note the relatively low degredation on the battery of the linked car - it is often more related to age and the way that they have been treated rather than simply mileage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That's an awful lot more than than the one on the forum here but is obviously much lower mileage, with a dealer, without body damage and potentially a higher spec. It is all about what's important to you.
Note the relatively low degredation on the battery of the linked car - it is often more related to age and the way that they have been treated rather than simply mileage.
Totally get what you're saying - ATM I would prefer a dealer car with lower miles so long as it has OK battery SOH (if such a combination can exist).

The linked car is however a very different car (at £9500) from what I'm considering:
  • its an Acenta not Tekna so a different trim level which makes quite a difference to price
  • its got significantly more miles on it
  • assuming its just the wing you'd be looking at £500 for a proper repair IMO
  • its a private sale so no warranty/come back
Don't get me wrong, as an example of how battery health is still ok with higher miles cars thats fine but its just not comparing apples with apples in terms of price. It does however have the 6.6kw charger which is a big bonus.

Having used the auto trader car valuation it interestingly put that car as overpriced for a private sale (and thats assuming fair condition). If anyone can find a 30kw Tekna with under 25k miles at a Nissan main dealer for under £13k then let me know as I did the ring around yesterday haggling and your looking at closer to 14k TBH (the £12750 one is sold).

I absolutely get that low miles might actually be a not so good thing depending on how its been charged / left etc - I stepped away from a low mileage car last week for that reason once id leaf spied it. I may also find that the same happens this weekend in which case i'll try looking more at 16/17 cars with 15-25k on them.

I will also get £400 off and 2 free services for taking it on finance which i am likely to pay off after the 1st payment

Just hoping SOH checks out OK as I'm looking forward to getting 1st electric car.

Thanks everyone for your comments/advice - just off out in a mo with a m8 who's got the MG ZS EV (SUV) overnight for a test drive - if i had the money its a nice car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts