Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DISCLAIMER: This won't work for countries like Spain, Greece and where rainfall isn't significant.

I'm in the process to register a patent and issue a business plan for crowdfunding for the following.

Have a rainwater collection tank just below the edge of a roof. where you would have the gutter connection to the downpipe.
Now, the downpipe is connected to the tank and at the bottom (ground level) I'll be installing a hydro turbine which will produce electricity to charge the car or to feed into the network.
No need for expensive non-efficient solar panels.
The tank costs around £1000 for 5m3
The turbine will be around £1500
Support structure (in retrofit) around £3500
electrical around £1000

with a total of £7k you will have a far more efficient renewable source.

GENIUS!! :cool:

Next will be looking in reusing the 24 and 30kw older batteries as storage devices ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok, so a few numbers:
  • average annual rainfall UK ~ 1 m
  • typical roof area of UK house ~ 60m2 (bungalows are higher but then their height is less
  • typical eaves height ~ 5m
So the annual energy = mgh = (60*1*1,000)*10*5 = 3MJ = 833Wh

So as stated, probably a USB powerbank or completely knackered LEAF battery.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,670 Posts
DISCLAIMER: This won't work for countries like Spain, Greece and where rainfall isn't significant.

I'm in the process to register a patent and issue a business plan for crowdfunding for the following.

Have a rainwater collection tank just below the edge of a roof. where you would have the gutter connection to the downpipe.
Now, the downpipe is connected to the tank and at the bottom (ground level) I'll be installing a hydro turbine which will produce electricity to charge the car or to feed into the network.
No need for expensive non-efficient solar panels.
The tank costs around £1000 for 5m3
The turbine will be around £1500
Support structure (in retrofit) around £3500
electrical around £1000

with a total of £7k you will have a far more efficient renewable source.

GENIUS!! :cool:

Next will be looking in reusing the 24 and 30kw older batteries as storage devices ;)
A) you can't apply for a patent now anyway.
B) have you actually worked out how much energy it would generate? Better to attach generators to some gerbil wheels, I think?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A) you can't apply for a patent now anyway.
B) have you actually worked out how much energy it would generate? Better to attach generators to some gerbil wheels, I think?
Is because of people like you guys that there are some folks believing the Earth is round...

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,670 Posts
Is because of people like you guys that there are some folks believing the Earth is round...
Those dastardly laws of physics. We need a new government to abolish them, then everything would be possible.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Husoi, your idea isn't patentable for several reasons. 1) you've published it here, before getting patent protection. 2) it's been proposed before. I don't even have to do a patent search, the idea has cropped up many times. I even once did the calculation to see how much gravitational energy gets stored in those tempting-looking water towers dotted around the countryside, thinking it might be quite useable. Here's a similar calc, based on info from https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/water-towers

Lets assume a typical one, 3000 m**3. Model it as 10m deep 22m dia cylinder, raised 15m for 1.5 bar pressure. Energy stored is M * g * h. Vol = 3801m so go with that. Mass = 3.8 * 10**6 kg. g=9.81 m/s**2 .
Energy = 3.8*10**6 * 9.81 * 15 (Nm or Joules, same thing) = 5.6 * 10**8 Joules.
1 Joule = 2.8e-7 kWh, so we have 1570 kWh stored. That's about enough to take 1 Ev 6000 miles, or about the same amount I export anually from my 4 kW solar panels which make 4000 kWh p.a.

I know which system I'd rather have in my back garden! Ok, they're not directly comparable, but I do wonder if the average house rooftop has enugh rainfall to fill suach a tank over the course of a year. And you don't have a lot of heirgt available to play with, either.

Sorry, but it's a non-starter tbh.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Husoi, your idea isn't patentable for several reasons. 1) you've published it here, before getting patent protection. 2) it's been proposed before. I don't even have to do a patent search, the idea has cropped up many times. I even once did the calculation to see how much gravitational energy gets stored in those tempting-looking water towers dotted around the countryside, thinking it might be quite useable. Here's a similar calc, based on info from https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/water-towers

Lets assume a typical one, 3000 m**3. Model it as 10m deep 22m dia cylinder, raised 15m for 1.5 bar pressure. Energy stored is M * g * h. Vol = 3801m so go with that. Mass = 3.8 * 10**6 kg. g=9.81 m/s**2 .
Energy = 3.8*10**6 * 9.81 * 15 (Nm or Joules, same thing) = 5.6 * 10**8 Joules.
1 Joule = 2.8e-7 kWh, so we have 1570 kWh stored. That's about enough to take 1 Ev 6000 miles, or about the same amount I export anually from my 4 kW solar panels which make 4000 kWh p.a.

I know which system I'd rather have in my back garden! Ok, they're not directly comparable, but I do wonder if the average house rooftop has enugh rainfall to fill suach a tank over the course of a year. And you don't have a lot of heirgt available to play with, either.

Sorry, but it's a non-starter tbh.
I'm sorry but I completely disagree...
Who's to say that I've not got the patent approval yet?
Secondly, they paid several million (13 if memory doesn't fail me) for some startup producing hydrogen with 200% output.
3rd it seems you don't know how much it rains up here in Scotland :p
Then you can store water without spending any energy and there are no losses while the water is waiting to be needed.

Still think is a very clever idea and not just because it is my idea :p :cool:

PS: Why you want some french bloke called joule interfering with my business? 😂😂🤣

·
Registered
747 Posts
Ok, so a few numbers:
  • average annual rainfall UK ~ 1 m
  • typical roof area of UK house ~ 60m2 (bungalows are higher but then their height is less
  • typical eaves height ~ 5m
So the annual energy = mgh = (60*1*1,000)*10*5 = 3MJ = 833Wh

So as stated, probably a USB powerbank or completely knackered LEAF battery.
You reckon without Climate Change.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts