Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
See this thread: I hate this government..
As Zoes don't have EU Type approval to tow (as far as I know - don't know if the certificate is online), it isn't possible to get a tow bar type approved, therefore it isn't legal to tow with a UK Zoe.
In theory you can
I understand that the rules in Germany are different - that you can get a local inspector to approve installation.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Presumably the posting by eDrive Alex is an undeclared infomercial. He seems pretty coy as to whether it's just a Clio hitch with special Belgium paperwork to make legal?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
His YT channel puts the suppler on there but I can't make head nor tail of it - still nice to know the Zoe can tow 3/4 of a tonne

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
As i was trying to get to the bottom of this as you saw.

You can defo buy one to fit.

The company must not be breaking the law for offering one as was previously suggested (the one is posted a link to is a clio one but when you search the Zoe then that one is the correct one)

JJ

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
Never mind YouTube videos, the only way to know for sure if your car is homologated for towing in the UK is to check the VIN plate.

If it’s blank where the towing weights would be, it’s not legal to tow a trailer of any weight.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
yeah which it is..... :)

doesn't mean can't fit one for for a bike rack or that having one fitted will fail an MOT

Any equipment used to tow a caravan or trailer needs to meet certain standards. Tow bars need to be 'type approved', which means they have to meet EU regulations and be designed for your car.
JJ

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts

doesn't mean can't fit one for for a bike rack or that having one fitted will fail an MOT

JJ
We’ve been around the buoy on this a few times on here, and you shouldn’t confuse being able to do something with it being legal.

Also, insurers agreeing to cover a modification doesn’t mean it’s legal either.

Basically, if you want a vehicle to be legally able to tow or even have a tow bar fitted, then buy a vehicle that has type approval to do so, or put your hand deep in your pocket and pay for a single type approval test.

These things are all ok until something goes wrong, at which point they’re not ok.

·
Registered
923 Posts

JJ
It's perfectly legal to fit a towbar/hitch to a car, irrespective of whether or not the car has been type approved for towing. Fitting the towbar/hitch and light wiring isn't an offence at all. The offence is committed if you actually tow something with the hitch, on the public highway.

In 2005 I went through this, chapter and verse, with my first Toyota Prius. It wasn't type approved for towing in the UK, but a hitch was being sold by Toyota in the Netherlands. I purchased one, fitted it, checked with a friend who was a police officer, rang my insurance company (who noted it and didn't change my premium) and that was that. I went on to fit two more hitches, one to a 2010 Prius and one to a 2013 Prius Plug-In. None have ever cause the slightest problem, and all three cars were MOT'd with the hitch fitted, by a Toyota dealer.

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
It's perfectly legal to fit a towbar/hitch to a car, irrespective of whether or not the car has been type approved for towing. Fitting the towbar/hitch and light wiring isn't an offence at all. The offence is committed if you actually tow something with the hitch, on the public highway.
It really isn’t as simple as that unfortunately, and you shouldn’t be saying it is.

If your car was first registered on or after the 1st August 1998, you could be prosecuted for an infringement of Construction & Use Regulations or your Insurers may decline to pay out in the event of an accident claim.

Ok, the chances of you being caught and prosecuted might be slim, but if you have a serious accident you might regret it should your insurer cut you loose because your car wasn’t road legal.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yes, the offence committed is when you tow, not if you use the towbar solely to fit a bike rack (which is what I've done for years). The law is absolutely clear as to what is and is not an offence, and fitting a towbar solely for the purpose of mounting a bike rack is not an offence at all.

Somewhere I have this in writing, back when I spent a week trying to get a definitive answer back in 2005. One key point was that the tow bar had to be approved in the EU (didn't matter about the UK), and it had to have a CE mark (which the ones I bought from Toyota Netherlands did).

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Jeremy H, yes your post is very clear. The EU directive and it's UK implementation is very clear in its scope. Fitment of any towbar "approved" or otherwise is in itself not an issue.

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
...but only if you tow yes?

Putting a bike rack on it is ok

JJ
No, the clue is in the phrase ‘construction and use regulations’.

What happens if your tow bar mounted bike rack fails at a mounting point and spills bikes all over the M1?

Is your only defence going to be ‘I wasn’t towing with it so it’s ok’?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
If one's bikes spill all over the M1, you will of course be liable for the consequences under the general heading failing to secure a load and driving without due care and attention, regardless of whether the bikes are attached to a roof rack, hatch mounted carrier, towbar (approved,) mounted carrier, towbar (unapproved) mounted carrier etc.

·
Registered
923 Posts
No, the clue is in the phrase ‘construction and use regulations’.

What happens if your tow bar mounted bike rack fails at a mounting point and spills bikes all over the M1?

Is your only defence going to be ‘I wasn’t towing with it so it’s ok’?
If it's a type approved (CE marked etc) tow bar, being used with a type approved (CE marked) bike rack then the the only concern is if you are careless when securing things, but that applies to securing a load on a roof rack or whatever anyway. There's no insurance issue, as long as you have informed your insurer and they have agreed to the modification, and the three times I did this with various models of Prius (which isn't type approved for towing, either) my insurer had no problem with it, didn't change my premium and didn't impose any additional conditions.

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
If it's a type approved (CE marked etc) tow bar, being used with a type approved (CE marked) bike rack then the the only concern is if you are careless when securing things, but that applies to securing a load on a roof rack or whatever anyway. There's no insurance issue, as long as you have informed your insurer and they have agreed to the modification, and the three times I did this with various models of Prius (which isn't type approved for towing, either) my insurer had no problem with it, didn't change my premium and didn't impose any additional conditions.
But your vehicle in this scenario is not type approved for the fitting of a tow bar, even if the mounts are there.

To be fully legal, you need all three components.

Insurers don’t police the roads or prosecute you for not adhering to construction and use regulations, but you can bet they would be willing to decline paying out should it be proven that the setup they were insuring was illegal.

Look, people will clearly do what they want, and I agree the risks of using just a rack are minimal, but people should go into it with their eyes open is what I’m saying.

·
Registered
923 Posts
But your vehicle in this scenario is not type approved for the fitting of a tow bar, even if the mounts are there.

To be fully legal, you need all three components.

Insurers don’t police the roads or prosecute you for not adhering to construction and use regulations, but you can bet they would be willing to decline paying out should it be proven that the setup they were insuring was illegal.

Look, people will clearly do what they want, and I agree the risks of using just a rack are minimal, but people should go into it with their eyes open is what I’m saying.
That's not actually the case. The vehicle doesn't need type approval to fit a towbar at all. The vehicle does need to be approved by the manufacturer for towing, and if so approved must carry a label giving the maximum towing weight, but in this case the vehicle is not being used for towing, therefore there isn't a legal problem at all.

If you check, then there's no law stopping you from bolting things on to any car. Best known examples are probably things like replacement wheels, roof racks/bars and body kits. No manufacturer (AFAIK) specifically type approves a car to allow for replacement after market wheels, or bans the fitment of non-OEM roof bars (to cars that are able to be fitted with them), yet no offence is committed as long as any such replacements are themselves compliant with the applicable regulations. The situation is exactly the same with fitting a towbar for the purpose of securing a bike rack.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts