Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have one of those ELM 327 Dongles, and it worked fine on several different Ford vehicles using 'Torque Lite' and Android 8 over Bluetooth, however it doesn't work (pair) on my Leaf 24 Tekna 2015. Looks like I will need to get myself another Dongle like the Panlong as already mentioned earlier...

Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice... ELM 327.jpg

·
Registered
175 Posts
The reality is the Chinese removed a pic chip to cheaper the elm327 but in doing so removed some of the required instructions to access the full canbus in the leaf. they also screwed about with version numbers in the hardware, meaning that they are meanless wrt working out whether you can just look at the version number and say whether they will work with the leaf or not. i.e. some elm 327 clone v2.1 might some wont hence lottery previously mentioned.

The konwei one became a gamble because there was a mistake where a manufacturer swapped out the terminating resistor for the canbus on the device from 120 ohm to something lower. Fortunately this doesn't break the car but it means you would have to find and replace the resistor to make the device function properly which for most/nearly all people isn't worth it.

All the info above I gleaned from the pdf written by Jim Pollock about his leaf spy software.

I have an old elm 327 v1.5 that appears to work albeit drops out a lot in the connection shown at the bottom left of the leaf spy program. Consequently I bought an lelink one

and switch extension

with the hope that its the old elm 327 I have being flakey and not my LG G5s Bluetooth and that this lower power Bluetooth device will fix it and also have less draw on the 12v battery. But it wasn't cheap, hasn't arrived yet and so cant comment on whether it works yet.

The switch cable is also a no brainer to my mind. basically you can damage the odb2 connector on the car by repetitively pulling and pushing on a connector. The extension means you preserve the cars connector and you can leaf the device attached and switched off meaning no security implication too by having your cars canbus exposed to the world via Bluetooth permanently. I may be paranoid, doesn't make me wrong. Anyway its piece of mind for sub £7.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's about time I looked into Leaf Spy for my 2013 Gen1 Leaf (10bars remaining - 55,000 miles) and try to get some idea of how much longer it's going to meet our needs. I have an IPhone6 and seem to remember reading somewhere that it's better to have a wifi rather than bluetooth dongle - but all the links I can find for a wifi dongle show it being no longer available. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks - but I can't find it! There is a VGate Wifi one which a previous thread (2 yrs ago) confirmed worked with an IPhone but the Amazon link showed as being unavailable.However I've now found it with another retailer on Amazon and I think I'll give it a try:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks - but I can't find it! There is a VGate Wifi one which a previous thread (2 yrs ago) confirmed worked with an IPhone but the Amazon link showed as being unavailable.However I've now found it with another retailer on Amazon and I think I'll give it a try:

It worked - although had to refer to a YouTube tutorial (EV Opinion) to set it up. Will post the Battery Cell graph as not sure what it is telling me!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,

PCP coming up in a couple of weeks and need to finalise my decision whether to buy with battery health data.

Bought this one:
erisin Torque ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Scanner Tool Android phone erisin Torque ELM327 V1.5 OBD2 Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Scanner Tool Android phone: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
Didn't work for me, gets to "Config leaf 14", then nothing.

Given all the recommendations for an ODB2 unit on this thread seem to now be unavailable, any more recent pointers to a Bluetooth device that may work?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
LeLink from Amazon has worked fine for me on both I have had from them.
This is BlueTooth 4LE items for Android though. What area of the country are you in as someone local may be able to help?

·
Registered
175 Posts
LeLink sometimes freezes, I've found most of the time closing leafspy completely which on my LG G5 android you have to do twice, once from the menu in the app and then swiping it out of the standby apps as well to completely restart its BT link. Or failing that pulling the dongle and putting it back in again. seriously considering using a switch inline to the 12v on the odb2 to act as a quicker reset mechanism. Ironically my very old odb2 BT is more robust but you cant buy those anymore.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The time i find it freezes is due to BT signal loss, but i guess thats not as much an issue for me as i run android as intended and just exit the app and go back in and it works straight away :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
What do you mean android as intended? Mine is running on an android phone. It shouldnt drop the bt link the phone isnt going out of range of the dongle. I think it is sometimes leafspy its self causing issues on certain screens/views.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
LG/Samsung/Et al, All tweak and play with android as they see fit to make it an experience as they want it to be on their phones.
Googles own android devices run Android without any tweaks under the hood at all(unless you do it via dev mode)
Its why when there are updates Googles phones get them first as a team somewhere doesnt need to backwards engineer or modify it to work fully on the companies phones.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well that is obvious now you say it, but thank you I learnt something new. My wife's apple phone is dying and she is looking at potentially replacing it. I take it you rate your google handset?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Pixel phones all the way for me since pixel 2. Yes you cant expand the memory but then i have unlimited photo and video storage on the gmail account as part of owning the phone.
This also syncs with my synology as well incase i do move away from google in the future :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it safe to leave the dongle in the OBD port even when the car is not powered on? I've been plugging it in when starting and removing at power down, but it is a pain. What does everyone else do?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I leave it in all the time but have thought about pushing it back in and putting the panel back on so its hidden.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts