Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you guys have tried out an OBDII adapter to measure codes from your vehicle and to display data using a program like 'Torque'.

I am curious to know if anyone had, which OBD port did you use as I believe there are 2, one either side and as we are both RH drive, maybe the ports are swapped over like the charging port and petrol fill are.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,151 Posts
I've noticed apparently 'two' OBD ports too, both in the left-knee area in each footwell.

One for EV, one for ICE??? What's the meaning of it?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Just wondering if any of you guys have tried out an OBDII adapter to measure codes from your vehicle and to display data using a program like 'Torque'.

I am curious to know if anyone had, which OBD port did you use as I believe there are 2, one either side and as we are both RH drive, maybe the ports are swapped over like the charging port and petrol fill are.
The port to use is the one by your left shin on a RHD car. I've got the adapter permanently plugged into it, but normally switched off unless I decide to run the MyGreenVolt app on my Android phone.

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I've noticed apparently 'two' OBD ports too, both in the left-knee area in each footwell.

One for EV, one for ICE??? What's the meaning of it?
That's an interesting question, I hadn't noticed the second one. This could mean that I can use an odb2 dongle and OVMS at the same time :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
The normal one to use is the one under the steering wheel on uk Amperas. The one near the passenger door has signal/ data pins 3 and 4 swapped over and might also be linked to different controllers. It is thought this may be the link to controlling the car functions externally from OVMS.
PID code files are available for the drivers side port to interpret a large proportion of the data available from that port. I use the drivers one with bluetooth dongle for MGV and TorquePro. I use the passenger side one for OVMS module.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
The normal one to use is the one under the steering wheel on uk Amperas. The one near the passenger door has signal/ data pins 3 and 4 swapped over and might also be linked to different controllers. It is thought this may be the link to controlling the car functions externally from OVMS.
PID code files are available for the drivers side port to interpret a large proportion of the data available from that port. I use the drivers one with bluetooth dongle for MGV and TorquePro. I use the passenger side one for OVMS module.
Interesting, might give that a bash !

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've never had OVMS boot using the left one. Does it work?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Without swapping pins 3 & 4 you won't be able to read data from the canbus. The ovms still works for gps location without swapping any pins though.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Has anyone figured out the heating commands for it yet?
No, I need to get hold of a canbus scanner, so I can download the messages flying around when you trigger the preheat.
Hopefully with that, we can get the codes mapped to a feature within the OVMS firmware.
I also want to find the codes for delayed charging.

But k haven't gotten as far as the canbus scanner yet. Was googling them earlier, just need to get on with it now ;)

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
The same thing was discussed three years ago on the Volt forums and some guys were actively looking at it, so I guess if they haven't managed it then it's unlikely to be possible.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The concensus seems to be that the control signals that Onstar sends for heating will probably be found on the passenger side port (uk version). The drivers side port has had most of the codes decyphered. AFAIK the heating-on commands have not been found yet.

I thought the current ovms software allowed you to start charging remotely by the slider switch on the stalk on the app homescreen. I seem to remember doing just that but think maybe it never actually completed the command....I can't remember!

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
I'm too scared of sending an erroneous command to try that. I do it all the time for the Roadster but unless someone confirms it works on the Ampera then I'm happy just to monitor.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
The concensus seems to be that the control signals that Onstar sends for heating will probably be found on the passenger side port (uk version). The drivers side port has had most of the codes decyphered. AFAIK the heating-on commands have not been found yet.

I thought the current ovms software allowed you to start charging remotely by the slider switch on the stalk on the app homescreen. I seem to remember doing just that but think maybe it never actually completed the command....I can't remember!
I didn't think the slider worked when I tried it, but maybe I need to test it with the other odb2 port.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I'm too scared of sending an erroneous command to try that. I do it all the time for the Roadster but unless someone confirms it works on the Ampera then I'm happy just to monitor.
In theory, if you send garbage via OVMS, then the Canbus will ignore it, as it is not in a format that it is expecting.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If the slider doesn't work with the main obd2 porrt then it wont work with the other port. Mines not plugged in atm so I can't test it.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,493 Posts
Finally managed to get my OVMS plugged into the car but having some issues.
GEOSim used but when I tried to use it in a phone first of all I received an automated voice about the call not being able to be made, then when I hung up the mobile rang along and when answered the landline I had dialled rang, almost as though it was a callback feature.
When first using the app I was getting:-
Error
Please check the following:
1. OVMS Server address
2. Your vehicle ID and passwords

Rechecked everything and still the same, at this point I thought I would start again, deleted the vehicle and tried again. Vehicle ID already registered so I have send an email off to see if this is permanent or can be reset.
The GEOSim seems to cause the LED codes:-
Green - 4 – GPRS APN is OK (Initialization complete)
RED - 8 – GPRS Network initialisation failed or it could be that it is 4 +4 in which case it is Red - 4 – SIM card has a PIN lock but I was able to use it again in a mobile and no lock.
I have now used a spare BT Mobile SIM (have it on trial) and connected but nothing other than the 'uptime' is displayed and location has the car a few thousand miles south of Accra in Ghana sitting in the Gulf of Guinea!
Any suggestions

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I'm not sure on the Geosim questions, but have you got the switch in the OVMS box on GPRS rather than GSM ?
As for the location, that takes a little while to find itself. ..... Give it a few hours/days and it should settle down.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,493 Posts
I will check the wee switch when the rain goes off again but it was at GPRS, unless it has managed to get moved when I slid it back into the housing. Looking at the app it appears as though I have lost connection with the time next to the aerial showing as 2 hours and in red.. I did not receive anything other than the unit, GPS, GPRS and OBD plug but on reading he setup on the OVMS page I got the impression there should have been more. Most of the instructions have been gleaned from the OVMS101 video on Youtube.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I will check the wee switch when the rain goes off again but it was at GPRS, unless it has managed to get moved when I slid it back into the housing. Looking at the app it appears as though I have lost connection with the time next to the aerial showing as 2 hours and in red.. I did not receive anything other than the unit, GPS, GPRS and OBD plug but on reading he setup on the OVMS page I got the impression there should have been more. Most of the instructions have been gleaned from the OVMS101 video on Youtube.
That sounds about right to me.
I have the box, a GPS antenna, a GPRS antenna and the ODB cable.
Have you got the right server address setup? It changed late last year....

It should look something like this.
If the thingy in the top right is red, then it's actually the connection between the app and the server that's the problem.
Have you tried the SMS alerts ? They work even when the app isn't working correctly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts