Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Has it arrived yet? Did it work?
Oh, crap.
Totally forgot to give it a go with the stock cover...

I’ve had the 3D printed one on pretty much this whole time.

The cable itself is neat, and plenty long - long enough and flat enough you can route it inside the dashboard, away from the fuse compartment.

Will give it a go with the stock cover and report back soon.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My Kona E is 3weeks old tomorrow and I love it.
However I wanted to use Ev Notify so found an old Samsung Android phone and bought an OBD2 adaptor recommended by "A Better Routeplanner".
All worked well but on long overnight charges (only granny charger at present) the phone battery exhausted. To power the phone while charging Kona (when car aux power is not available) I decided to take the 12v from the OBD adaptor socket and via the internals of a 12v USB charger keep the phone alive.
With this, a low profile OBD extension cable (cut in half) and my own 3d printed hatch I cobbled together an easily fitted or removed panel/adaptor.
I did include a 12v on/off switch and a 2 amp mini fuse as Im not sure if the OBD 12v line is protected.
The result is in the pics below.

Attachments

·
Registered
664 Posts
Interesting that the OBD adaptor is ok -
According to the description on ebay :
"Works on all petrol 2001+ and diesel 2004+ cars and light trucks sold in the European Union (except hybrid or electric vehicles) "
Which is obviously not correct from your report.

BTW - Is there any danger of inflicting self injury to your knee/ leg with the position and style of the on/off switch ?

·
Registered
121 Posts
"Works on all petrol 2001+ and diesel 2004+ cars and light trucks sold in the European Union (except hybrid or electric vehicles) "

BTW - Is there any danger of inflicting self injury to your knee/ leg with the position and style of the on/off switch ?
The adaptor works fine. It was recommended as being a fast coms one with low parasitic current and specifically used before in EVs. This one only for Android or Windows though. Apparently a different version of BT is required for Iphone. Actually I do use an Iphone for the receiving end of Ev Notify. The switch is nowhere near my knee but in any case is temporary as I have a small latching flat PB switch on order.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The top USB port - the one for android Auto or apple carplay - remains live during charging. Why not plug your phone into that?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
The top USB port - the one for android Auto or apple carplay - remains live during charging. Why not plug your phone into that?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Thanks for that. I had convinced myself the carplay usb port had no power when charging. I do have music on a memory stick permanently in it but will investigate.

·
Registered
121 Posts

Just an update: It may be the "OBDLink" down loadable software that is not compatible with EVs. I can confirm this adaptor works also with "Torque Pro" and "Car Scanner" in the Kona. "Car Scanner" has lots of Ev connection profiles and one specifically for the Kona.

·
Registered
25 Posts
UPDATE: uploaded to Thingiverse: Hyundai Kona OBD-friendly fusebox cover by orcinus
UPDATE2: uploaded RHD (mirrored) version at the same place

--------

The fuse panel cover on the Kona is, sadly, designed in a way that prevents having anything plugged in the OBD2 port with the cover on.

Since i'm planning on connecting stuff there, and my car is leased so i didn't want to dremel the original cover, i started designing a replacement cover in CAD.

First iteration doesn't quite fit, but is very close, working on refinements now (reverse engineering the cover is not as trivial as it might seem, as almost no part of the cover is perpendicular to any other part of the cover - even the clips are at an angle to each other and the cover itself).

I'm designing it completely flat, so it can be 3D printed more easily on a typical FDM printer. Then, once printed, you just need to heat it up with a hairdryer and bend it a little to get the curvature that matches the original.

If anyone's interested, i can put it up on Thingiverse when it's done.
I know this thread is an old one now but I thought I might share an interesting discovery...

The OBD socket can be simply un clipped from it's mounting behind the cover:

This allows you to leave whatever you want connected and the cover replaced.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Another nice coincidence was that this switched OBD extension cable I bought just so happened to fit nicely in the grab handle space:

Leaving me with this really neat and tidy finished solution:

Hope this of use to some of you.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts