Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
In my (USA spec) EX Premium, the obd socket is just open beneath the fuse panel cover under the dash.

Side question: I seem to have to unplug and reinsert my obd link 2 single to communicate with the car each time. Do I have to use the dongle's app to fix some setting?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
In the UK e-Niro the OBD socket is with the fuses. Put your fingers in the slot on the fuse box cover and pull.
I believe the OP has removed the cover but wants to move the actual socket inwards to give more space between the socket and the cover, to allow an OBD cable to be inserted and then the cover replaced...

·
Registered
168 Posts
In the UK e-Niro the OBD socket is with the fuses. Put your fingers in the slot on the fuse box cover and pull.
You're missing the point. He is trying to detach the ODBII socket off the surrounding mounting, to shove the docket back inwards into the inside, thereby allowing a larger ODBII device to be plugged into the socket, while leaving the cover on that area, covering the hole left by where the ODBII socket WAS

·
Registered
117 Posts
Side question: I seem to have to unplug and reinsert my obd link 2 single to communicate with the car each time. Do I have to use the dongle's app to fix some setting?
What model/brand OBD2 adapter are you using? With my Vgate iCar Pro model I noticed that you need to pair it with your app immediately after powering on the car. If you wait too long, the adapter will go into sleep mode and I have trouble waking it up without removing and reinserting the adapter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm using the obdlink mx. The behavior isn't consistent, adding to the challenge of diagnosing three issue. This am, I woke up the dedicated obd phone, and the values popped right up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All sorted. I had to pop into dealers to get a new P button fitted as it is peeling like many others. Asked them to show me how to pop it out of socket and they obliged. Clips either side just push them towards socket and it then pushes out.

Have now set obd2 up as picture, using switched extension, sits nicely under steering column.

·
Registered
49 Posts
All sorted. I had to pop into dealers to get a new P button fitted as it is peeling like many others. Asked them to show me how to pop it out of socket and they obliged. Clips either side just push them towards socket and it then pushes out.

Have now set obd2 up as picture, using switched extension, sits nicely under steering column. View attachment 126870
Really neat job. This looks like the vgate icar 2 /Nero? Does this work with EVNotify?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a vgate icar 2.
I am currently at half way point of testing. Have old phone, connected to obd2 and downloaded ev notify, when out driving all stats come up in evnotify. Now just waiting for my 123 sim from 3 to pop into phone. Will then try to connect my normal phone to evnotify to gets stats via old phone in car. Will then try charging and see if I can get charging level etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It is a vgate icar 2.
I am currently at half way point of testing. Have old phone, connected to obd2 and downloaded ev notify, when out driving all stats come up in evnotify. Now just waiting for my 123 sim from 3 to pop into phone. Will then try to connect my normal phone to evnotify to gets stats via old phone in car. Will then try charging and see if I can get charging level etc.
Good luck. Can't wait to for your next update. BTW what switched cable did you buy? I can't find one that looks like yours.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok update time. Sim came, into phone, checked phone works as a phone, as been sat in draw for about a year, all ok. So a trip out to hear the sea, with a planned stop at an instavolt, perfect test as no app or web access to see charging % on instavolts. Tested evnotify on way, so switched on obd2 and old phone was getting info, started up normal phone and booted up evnotify, and yes info coming across to new phone, test passed. Now for main test, arrived instavolt plugged in, start charging, left old phone in car checking it working and yes info on charging coming through, next looked at normal phone yes info coming through, so all good and working. Have heard some obd2 have been turning off after apx 30 mins, I charged for 42 mins apx and stayed on giving info all time. Couple of issues, where I set up switch and obd2 they can be pushed back when switching on and looking at if bluetooth on, on obd2, need to try and adjust them to be more stable. A couple of times as i was constantly checking evnotify, to make sure working, it said it had lost bluetooth, but it must of refound it as it kept giving charging info constantly, so a minor glitch.

So all good so far, on it first run out, next test will be a home charge test, where i can hopefully charge for longer and test if obd2 stays on longer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm using the obdlink mx. The behavior isn't consistent, adding to the challenge of diagnosing three issue. This am, I woke up the dedicated obd phone, and the values popped right up.

So, I did some reading and realized that I need to quit Torque Pro app and remove BT signal (I turn it off completely using the handy Torque Pro setting to do so when exiting the app) in order to allow the dongle to sleep. Apparently, restarting the app/BT then wakes the dongle in a way that it's happy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok update time. Sim came, into phone, checked phone works as a phone, as been sat in draw for about a year, all ok. So a trip out to hear the sea, with a planned stop at an instavolt, perfect test as no app or web access to see charging % on instavolts. Tested evnotify on way, so switched on obd2 and old phone was getting info, started up normal phone and booted up evnotify, and yes info coming across to new phone, test passed. Now for main test, arrived instavolt plugged in, start charging, left old phone in car checking it working and yes info on charging coming through, next looked at normal phone yes info coming through, so all good and working. Have heard some obd2 have been turning off after apx 30 mins, I charged for 42 mins apx and stayed on giving info all time. Couple of issues, where I set up switch and obd2 they can be pushed back when switching on and looking at if bluetooth on, on obd2, need to try and adjust them to be more stable. A couple of times as i was constantly checking evnotify, to make sure working, it said it had lost bluetooth, but it must of refound it as it kept giving charging info constantly, so a minor glitch.

So all good so far, on it first run out, next test will be a home charge test, where i can hopefully charge for longer and test if obd2 stays on longer.
I've copied your setup - vgate under steering column, lifted steering to trap it snuggly and stable. EVNotify on old phone receiving data nicely. But I don't know how to set up main phone to receive the data from old phone. Help would be appreciated please.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I remember correctly. Download evnotify onto normal phone, on the phone in car, in settings you should have akey, which is unique number to you, given when you set up your account. Log into account on normal phone, enter your akey and that should be it, I think lol ??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts