Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your battery should still be quite high if you're looking able to treat it nicely, as long as the temprature extremes don't affect it more
I was quite surprised at how little the battery temperature rises with highway driving. Last week I drove 100-120 KPH for 30 minutes, the outside temperature was 23c, and when I got to work the battery was only at 26c. I'm sure the battery temperature will rise substantially if you do the same highway driving but back to back DC fast charge along the way. But my main concern was keeping the battery temperature rise to a minimum, but turns out it's mostly a non issue with my driving habits.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I charged for the first time in 2 months to 100% and looked at the HV battery energy reading. I set it to charge to 100% and when I looked at the HV-EM-Energy_information, the SOC was 97.2% and the energy reading was 31.4. I never did a reading when the car was new for comparison, but it's about 20 months old and has about 20,000KM.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Well I charged for the first time in 2 months to 100% and looked at the HV battery energy reading. I set it to charge to 100% and when I looked at the HV-EM-Energy_information, the SOC was 97.2% and the energy reading was 31.4. I never did a reading when the car was new for comparison, but it's about 20 months old and has about 15,000KM.
That's very good. How many miles have you driven it and what % do you normally charge to?

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's very good. How many miles have you driven it and what % do you normally charge to?
I've got about 20,000KM on it so far and usually I keep it 50% charged when it's parked at home, and when I go to work I charge it to 70% in the summer, and 80% in the winter and usually get home with about 30%-20% left, so I've never use the bottom end, and very rarely the top end of the battery.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I've got about 20,000KM on it so far and usually I keep it 50% charged when it's parked at home, and when I go to work I charge it to 70% in the summer, and 80% in the winter and usually get home with about 30%-20% left, so I've never use the bottom end, and very rarely the top end of the battery.
If I get time I'll look at ours tomorrow, got to charge to 100% for a long trip but needing to leave early. I do know it was about 30kWh last time I checked. At that point it had 33-34000 miles or 53-54000 KM but I know at least with the Leaf they say the age is a big part of the degregation.
Ours has been chargee to 100% most days in the past as my wife needed it fully charged during the winter twice a week and didn't like it being charged to 80% on many days of the week. Her work has changed a bit and since this summer I've been able to charge it to 80 or 90% each day and only charge to 100% a couple of times a month.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I did look at the battery capacity but forgot to record it. I think it said 30550Wh.
I checked again this morning and it said 30500Wh but I had already started down the drive by the time the app was showing the battery details.

I also checked when I got to work as someone mentored the efficiency seemed to be under reading. When I got to work I had 27400Wh and it's about 11.5 miles. The car was showing an 11 mile trip and 3.5 mi/kWh which is means the numbers stack up on this trip.
I'll try and test some longer trips next week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 80025 I have been busy for the last couple of weeks, but now have had chance to have more of a fiddle with OBDeleven and have found the SOC value.
High Voltage Battery Charge Management > Live Data > (tick what you wish to see)
View attachment 80017
Battery Energy Control Module > Live Data > (tick what you wish to see)
View attachment 80001
View attachment 79985 View attachment 79993 View attachment 80025

@Woodulike the 59Ah value is definitely for the 12v battery and not the traction battery.
Any new discoveries from usage of the OBD11?
Can you in any way find State of Health of the battery, and by that the loss of capasity from new?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Any new discoveries from usage of the OBD11?
Can you in any way find State of Health of the battery, and by that the loss of capasity from new?
There's not a SOH like the Leaf shows in Leafspy but you can see the battery capacity in kWh when fully charged. If you read the thread you will see that I have posted my fully charged figures over the time I've had the car and can see the drop in fully charged capacity from 32kWh to 30.5 after 20months and 37000 miles

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nextgen Standard or Pro recommendations please:
Would like to monitor live data battery % etc and maybe use credits for a couple of the apps - would the Nextgen standard do this or would I need the Pro? Read the blurb on the Obdeleven site but a few youtubers have made me question if the standard is the right choice re: the pro is needed for live data (egolf)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the White OBDeleven device, when I bought mine that's all there was. It shows live data for the e-Golf. I do have the Pro software but the comparision chart at the bottom of this page would suggest the standard software shows live data.
I was hoping you may have replied - I have followed your posts on this subject with interest 👍 (not stalking) thanks for info and link - I would hope I could upgrade to the pro if later I wanted more functionality.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I would hope I could upgrade to the pro if later I wanted more functionality.
Pro is available to buy for 25 euro so it looks like you could upgrade at a later date if you needed to. Whatever you go for please report back on what you actually get in the box and what it can do.

·
Registered
88 Posts
got it plug-in, could already some data (and some faults :( ) .. but .. cannot find the battery stats (I see the 12V battery, but not the high voltage) ..

where do I find it ?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
just received my OBDEleven .. will try to plug it in tomorrow ..

quick question .. should I remove this when I visit the service center in about 1 month time?
I forgot on the first service and they removed it and left it in the car. I only put it in when I want it now so wasn't an issure this time.

For battery info look in the Gateway module. HV EM Energy, or something like that, is the one that shows the kWh in the battery. It quite near to the bottom of the list so I go to the bottom and head back up to find it. That's about the only one I use now and can't remember where else to look. The battery module has some details in but I can't remember what. There are posts in the earlier pages of this thread where a few things are mentioned and I thought I mentioned the modules they are in and what they are called but don't have time today to look back through them.
I don't look at the faults as there are too many of them and they appear very quickly. I did look early on but didn't make much sense to me and I didn't want to delete anything in case I had issues and the garage needed the info.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Funnily enough I have 3 phase at home not sure why,the house was built just after the war clearly not for fast charging my car.As I plan to keep my car I will not try it but anyone willing to try feel free.
Here in NI, all our public AC charging is via 22kw Stations. My golf pulls 7.2-7.3 from these 3phase chargers. I use the supplied cable that VW gave me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I forgot on the first service and they removed it and left it in the car. I only put it in when I want it now so wasn't an issure this time.

For battery info look in the Gateway module. HV EM Energy, or something like that, is the one that shows the kWh in the battery. It quite near to the bottom of the list so I go to the bottom and head back up to find it. That's about the only one I use now and can't remember where else to look. The battery module has some details in but I can't remember what. There are posts in the earlier pages of this thread where a few things are mentioned and I thought I mentioned the modules they are in and what they are called but don't have time today to look back through them.
I don't look at the faults as there are too many of them and they appear very quickly. I did look early on but didn't make much sense to me and I didn't want to delete anything in case I had issues and the garage needed the info.

I got some info from the Control Unit -> Battery Energy Control Module

too many parameters ..

I will try again later

141 - 160 of 178 Posts