Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am shortly getting an i3 Rex with the bigger battery. 99% of my journeys should be well within its range probably without the Rex but once a year i drive from Santander down through Spain to Granada in the south. I got some excellent advice the other day about Spanish charge points and cards and obviously the best thing would be to head from charger to charger combine it with a coffee or lunch and trundle down. But I am aware that i might have charger issues and wondered if anyone though there would be a problem with getting the Rex to kick in at say 20% electric remaining and just accepting (if necessary) that i stop every hour or so and fill up with fuel as a backup strategy.

Anything wrong with this plan?

Graham

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have only used mine on the 200 miles to Devon and other occasional long journeys, but I definitely don't wait until the automatic switch on, as if there are any problems with the Rex, then it's too late, plus the battery can still drain at high speeds with the Rex on. So I switch on around 20% remaining.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good advice the Rex doesn’t work as hard if battery still has good amount of charge left.
I used my Rex recently for 50 miles and at first it seems to let you eat into the battery and tops it back up when driving easier but as the Rex stayed on for a while it appeared to stop eating into the batter as much. Just an observation I made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
BMW i3 REx 2014
214 Posts
I have only used mine on the 200 miles to Devon and other occasional long journeys, but I definitely don't wait until the automatic switch on, as if there are any problems with the Rex, then it's too late …...
When I have a journey that is beyond my battery capacity, I try to put on the Rex at 50% - if it fails, I can turn around and get home :).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for advice. Are Rex failures common then? My son has had a smaller battery 2015 car with Rex for a year with no issues mine will be late 2018 bigger battery so I am hoping issues have been ironed out.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Having owned a 60Ah REx for 4 years with very little REx use, I would say that failures are not that common. The i3 REx is a reliable combination.

·
EGGY
1,115 Posts
If I know I'm going beyond range I turn mine on as soon as it dips below 75% when conditions suit, eg slow traffic such as contraflows etc. Good luck on the trip, report back. I was in Seville in Feb and browsing plugshare, Spanish network seems patchy

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Not sure why there are comments on here like “if the Rex fails”. It’s as though many people with a Rex regularly switch it on to hear a bang and a clunk as it falls out on the road.

There have been a few reported faults on very early 60ah cars and not much else. I’ve had no problems at all in 2 1/2 years and 44k miles now.

As mentioned above, if you know you are going to burn through a tank of fuel, burn it early to maintain battery range as high as possible for as long as possible. I switch on at 75% in such circumstances. Then fill up at the next convenient fuel stop ideally when you recharge if possible to save time.

I would try to avoid using the Rex as an ICE by running it constantly for many hundreds of miles. It’s not designed for that purpose and if anything is likely to make it troublesome, I would suggest treating it like this may be a factor. Also, it rather defeats the point of having an EV. May as well hire an ICE instead with a 60 litre fuel tank.

You don’t want to be trying to run the Rex at 6.5% and below whilst trying to drive up a steep climb on a Spanish motorway. You’ll end up doing 30mph in “limp mode” which is not conducive to long life.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks this is good advice - i hope to do at least one big charge over lunch somewhere around Madrid where a wait will be entirely fine but i am aware that coverage is still a bit patchy in Spain especially in the south. Since its really the only mega journey we do and our two dogs (yes they fit - tested that) need a walk anyway every couple of hours, the journey was never going to be a deal buster over the i3 choice but Ill certainly follow some of the best practice suggested here and get the rex to kick in at around 40% or whatever. I'll tell the tale eventful or uneventful afterwards!

·
EGGY
1,115 Posts
I failed in persuading my wife that Essex to Genoa via a stopover in Geneva was an "adventure", I wanted to do it before it got easy ... annoyingly one of the deal busters was that once we get down there (Nervi, suburb of Genoa) there's not a lot of charging options ... we were pretty much limited to an extension cable out of her sister flat, which wasn't happening apparently. There's a fast charger at the airport but getting there now since the bridge fell down is a pain and probably 25km round trip. Frustrating. Add in Italian bureaucracy (if the whole app / rfid thing doesn't work over here it will be a disaster there) and a bit of a gap in fast charging South East of the Mont Blanc tunnel and it's a bit of a stretch in our car I guess :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts